New HT system: Reference or Icon

JTSX1

I've been reading over this and other forums out there trying to decide which speakers I want to go with. It came down to Paradigm Monitor or Klipsch Icon and I've been having a hell of a time trying to find a place that has both systems set up to compare. Well, I think Klipsch has won, but not sure wich model to pick from.

Uses are HT and music so was looking into tower fronts. Klipsch recently release the WF-35, WC-24 and the surrounds to go with it, which was planning on buying until I stumbled onto a good deal (I think). I found a place that has a demo set of RC-64 ($500) and 2 RF-83 ($700 EA) for a total of about $1900. THis seems like a good deal, but I don't know how the WF and WC series sounds.

Has anyone been able to compare the two (RF and WF) and can you tell me the differences you heard? I like the new Icons for their size and the price would be about the same, maybe a little less since he would knock %10 off any new orders. I wish the RF-83 weren't so big, but this seems like such a good deal and is hard to pass up. Thanks for reading.

J

The speakers seemed pretty easy to listen to for the most part, but only spent about 10 mins total. He threw in a movie so we could sample the "realism" and it sounded really good, great highs, but seems to lack mid bass compared to the Paragims. There was a gun shot in the movie and it made me jump it was so loud. I'm hoping a few more people will chime in tonght so I can make a decision by tomorrow. I definitely like the size of the WF-35, just trying to get a feel for what they sound like.

First off Welcome to the forum.

I am going to say go with the RF-83 and RC-64. That is the setup that I have and that price is half off msrp, even a little more since Klipsch had a recent price increase. Also these are the current top of the line speakers in the Reference Series.

Good luck on your search and post what you end up with.

Also where are you located?

James

I personally have not really listened to the Icon series. In my opinion, for that price, you are definitely getting the most bang for the buck with the 83's and the 64. I have a pair of RF-63's and an RC-62 and it sounds great for HT and music. Even if you changed your mind later and wanted to get the Icon's, you should be able to recoupe most if not all you spent on Ref series selling in the used market.

Bill

I personally have not really listened to any of the Icon series. For that price, you would definitely be getting more bang for the buck in buying the 83's and the 64. I have a pair of RF-63's and an RC-62 and they sound great for HT and music. Even if you changed your mind later and wanted to get the Icon's, you should be able to recoupe most if not all of your money spent if you were to sell on the used market.

Bill

Thank you for the replys so far and I have another question: Is the WF-35 WC-24 supposed to be better speakers than the reference series? I know the Reference cost more, but they came out 3 to 4 years ago. Just wondering if maybe they stumbled onto some newer technology that allows them to produce a better speaker at a ccheaper cost. I apologize for my ignorance, but I am new to this HT thing (Bose doesn't count).

Icon is Klipsch's latest technology. The Icon wood borrows driver design from the Icon bi-amped towers. The slimline wood cabinets are stylish and powerful. For their size they sure give Reference a run for their money. I think they represent a more refined Klipsch look and sound.

Got a sheet of notebook paper? Good- take it and put it where you would set up your Icon Wood towers. At 8 1/2 x 11 it's very similar to the 8x12 footprint (not counting the two slim outrigger steadying feet). It's just slightly larger than a Synergy F2 but the sound is much tighter.

So far it seems the Icons sound similar to the Reference series and physically are smaller and better suited for confined spaces. Would there be any advantage in choosing the Reference over Icon? Pricewise they will come out the same (ref is a demo) except the Icon may be bit cheaper due to an offerred discount. Thanks for all the replies so far, just trying to figure it out by today so I don't pass up a good deal.

I have the 83's and would personally go that route based on my listening experiences. I heard the icon series and to me they did not have as deep of bass and didn't seem to maintain the clarity as much as the 83's when really cranked up. Now to be fair I only heard the icon at Best Buy, while at home I have the 83's hooked up to a dedicated amp and pre-amp, so the comparison is not exactly apples to apples. I also really like the copper colored woofers and big cabinet on the 83's , but maybe that's just me. Either way you can't really go wrong on this deal.

The more I read of this forum, the questions I have about these speakers. Do you all think that 13 ft of listening distance is enough to get the most out of or atleast the difference between them and a smaller tower? I'm kind of limited with space right now and 13ft will be the listening distance when watching movies. I don't want to get something that will be too much for my limited space. Thanks again for the replies; I want to get the 83's, but want to make sure I have enough room to enjoy them.

The Reference lineup is going to be more forward in the midrange and a whole heck of a lot more dynamic sounding. The Icon is laid back and weak in the mids (relatively speaking). The RF-83 is also gonna slam better in the bass.

To be honest, I'm not the slightest bit impressed with the new Icon stuff, but very much enjoy the Reference lineup...and that kind of price for RF-83's is a killer bargain. The only thing the Icon series has going for it is a pretty wood finish - though I wonder how long that finish is gonna last? I don't really care for aesthetics in the first place anyway...

Btw, 13ft should be far enough for the RF-83. And having the room open to other areas of the house is actually a good thing for the acoustics - provided you can get the surrounds positioned properly.

Thankyou everyone for your responses and advice. I went ahead and bought the Reference Klipsch, but have yet to hook them up. They towers are huge and look great. I was worried about space, but think it'll work out.

HShould I bi-wire the speakers or use separate wiring (not sure of the advantage here without separate high and low outputs on the receiver). I don't plan on getting an amp any time soon so won't be able to benefit.