Setting up rf-63's

thecutter

I recently changed my set-up. I had an old Kenwood setup with pre-amp, amp and Kenwood speakers. My recent set up is an Onkyo 705, RF-63's, RC64 RS62. I got a RT-12d but have not set it up yet. The RF-s were set up with the Onkyo. They sounded lifeless. I got an Emotiva XPA5 amp. This improved the sound but hey still sound bright. The midrange is good. Highs are a tad pronounced. Lows are flat.

I plan to set up the Sub. This may help. The speakers are 6 to 7 feet apart.

Any suggestions? My old set-up sounded better.

The speakers need to be further apart if you can. More like 12 ft with you seated 10-12 ft out from the fronts. What do you mean by "lows are flat"? lacking? My 63s most redeeming quality is the full bass. The speakers need to be at least a foot out from the rear wall and prefereably 18". Those ports need to breath freely.

What are your room dimensions and what is your source player and material.

I too own a pair of RF-63's powered by an Onkyo TX-SR705. My room is 16x30 with my seating position @ 12 feet from the TV wall. I have them in the corners toed-in about 30 degrees and 10 inches from the corners. Being a large volume room(appr. 5000 cubic feet), I have them close to the wall to offer more bass during 2 channel playback. I feel the Onkyo/Klipsch combo are far from lifeless. With that said, my Adcom/B&K setup really does bring out the lion in the 63's. Experiment with placement and your EQ settings before you render your verdict.

Bill