XF-48 question regarding auto power disabled

dagkr

Hi, just got my XF-48 and I must say I'm really amazed by the soundfield and power they are generating. I had replaced my RF-15's with them to save some floorspace, and was concerned that they would not manage to fill the livingroom like my beloved RF's but I was totally wrong.

But I'm a bit concerned about the missing auto power feature. When unpacking them there was some labels in the back of the speaker saying that the auto power feature has been disabled. And even if put in Auto mode, they are never off or standby, and the blue led on the bottom are always on.

Can anyone else with these speakers tell me if it's the same with theirs?

Will this affect and shorten the speakers life? I know I will not have them for ever, but will they be working for let's say ten years even if their amplifiers are constantly turned on?

Anyways I must say I'm really satisfied by their great sound and not to forget their design/looks. I was also impressed by the XL 23 center which are nicely integrated with the XF-48s.

Kind regards

Dag K

• Moderators

I'm glad you are enjoying your new speakers!

As to your questions, due to some last minute gain changes to the speaker level inputs, we found that the auto-on circuit degraded the audio performance of the speaker so we made the decision to disable it.

We overbuilt the power supply and with an entire enclosure as a heatsink, everything stays cool, even under full load. You don’t need to worry about shortening the life of the speaker.

• 6 months later...

I also just got my XF-48s and while there were no notes regarding disabled auto power feature I noticed that my speakers never power down.

I ended up plugging these speakers into Monster Power surge protector that has a master power switch so when I want to power speakers down I just flip the switch on the surge protector.

This is my first set of floorstanding speakers and I'm very pleased by XF-48s sound and looks. My audiophile friend (who owns three pairs of floorstanding loudspeakers; one Klipsch and two B&O) was very impressed by XF-48s as well and said he couldn't get enough of them. So far everyone loves these speakers...

>>Are you two using a sub in your system?

No, actually, I am not using any external subs. I personally find XF-48's built in woofers plenty for my apartment. In fact I had to lower the bass in the EQ to keep my neighbors sane and my floors from reverberating.

>>How do you have them connected to your system?

My system is somewhat primitive at this point (I wanted to keep it light-weight and the number of components to a minimum until I have my own house) so I just use the standard 3.5 line-in gold-plated connectors (no binding posts) to hookup a few different sources (iPod, MacBook Pro, and soon Sony Blu Ray player).

>>What gear is in your system?

My current setup is very simple and consists of:

- pair of XF-48s (no external subs, amps, or receivers at this point; replaced an older Klipsch Pro Media 4.1)

- Sony Bravia KDL-52W4100 TV (setup to upscale the signal; DVI-to-HDMI connected to MacBook Pro; replaced an older Dell 30' LCD panel)

- MacBook Pro 17' (at the moment my primary source for music, DVDs, and Netflix instant watch)

- Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray disc player (purchased and is on the way; will replace MacBook Pro for DVD/BD; will also setup to upscale; will use HDMI-to-HDMI cables)

- all cable connectors are gold-plated

Future considerations:

- Stand-alone Netflix instant watch box

- Perhaps a receiver to consolidate all inputs/outputs

Are you two using a sub in your system?

No, and they don't need a sub for music. For movies maybe, but I don't feel the need for it and my neighbours are already complaining about the bass so I don't belive they need one either. [:)]

How do you have them connected to your system?

They are connected with RCA cables from preout on my receiver.

What gear is in your system?

I have them hooked up with a Harman/kardon AVR 355 receiver without the use of room correction. A 5.0 setup also include XL-23 as center, and XB-10 as surround speakers.

• Klipsch Employees

Thank you Gents!

We have had folks tell us there is a problem with these speakers. Not enough bass and hard to connect.

It's funny, when you connect it correctly they work very well...

Know that you are using the speakers as they were intended.

FYI: Even if the auto on / off was working, it would not change the way the amp works or the life of the amp. Even while in the auto off mode, the amp is still on. Only the speaker outs of the amp turn off, the amp would always be on.

Thank you again. I will pass you info on to the Eng team.