I like THD!!!

MikeSt

I don't know if that's what it's called, but I think it sounds good when rock music sounds a little distorted like when the volume is up too high. I know I'm weird.:)

My question is what kind of amp/speakers should I try to produce that effect? My idea is maybe a low power tube amp, but I'd like to get some 'kick you in the gut' punch too. For my type of music I think midrange is very important. (Punk/metal/rock) I heard the KLF-30s which sounded really dynamic, but I don't which amp would be good to pair with it.

Thanks!!

I don't know if that's what it's called, but I think it sounds good when rock music sounds a little distorted like when the volume is up too high. I know I'm weird.:)

My question is what kind of amp/speakers should I try to produce that effect?

Cheap solid state will give you lots of THD. Check out something vintage made by Emerson or Kracko. The cheaper the better. Add a bandpass subwoofer with a huge amp and you are ready to realize yoru dream.[Y]

Cheap solid state will give you lots of THD. Check out something vintage made by Emerson or Kracko. The cheaper the better. Add a bandpass subwoofer with a huge amp and you are ready to realize yoru dream.Yes

Hey thanks for the quick reply! Just curious, you don't you think a tube amp would be better? I guess I think that because I play guitar on an old tube amp and to get distortion I just turn it high. But what you're saying is interesting, I've heard of a guy that used ss distortion from a Roland JC-120 as the preamp and outputting that through a big tube power amp. It makes a wicked chainsaw-like sound.

, but I'd like to get some 'kick you in the gut' punch too.

Yeah.....KLF-30's and a 500 watt pro amp will give you what you want. A pro amp powering a good sub will give you more of what you want. [Y]

I'm in the same boat with RF-7's. I know someone with KLF-30's......similar amps and subs........awesome for metal/punk/hard rock.

It's not the most refined sound......but it lends itself to the music we like.......It's like ultra clean distortion, loud and impressive. Not really what you want if your into jazz or classical music.

Here's an easy trick to achieve the results you are looking for .

I'm betting that you have an old tape deck around . So , by using the tape record monitor simply crank the record level all the way . Loud and distorted ! Just what you were looking for .

Don't thank me now , thank me later .

"That sounds like an interesting idea. Does turning up the preamp make the music distort? "

If you want it to.

There is a tube line stage, and a solid state line stage. Gain is variable. You cab pan from SS to tube, and any mix of both. The tube bias can be controled to change the sound, you can also overdrive it if you want.

Somebody help here. I seem to recall that back in the 70's a device was marketed for just this purpose. Ok, there is plenty of room for jokes there, but I am serious. Aphex? Maybe that was it.

Anyway, seems it was sort of a "dial a distortion" device that de-purified a signal in a way that some found appealing.

Anybody know what I am talking about? No? Oh well...

Dave

They make a whole bunch of stuff for just that purpose, available at your favourite guitar shop. There are so many signal processors around it's nuts. Could you not also use a studio style mixing board (like I do) and push the levels (gains) from the inputs too high and send them into the main bus. You'll get your distortion no matter how low of a signal you send from the main outs