Lighting

Youthman

• Moderators

Wednesday or Thursday we will find out whether the loan is approved for the purchase of our new house. The house is still under construction and will be finished by Sept 30. The lighting has not yet been installed. In the Media Room they do not have any light switches installed and the can lights have already been installed and there are none in the HT room. :( Should I call the superintendent to see if they can put dimmers as the switches and install a few cans or just do this later myself? Is there anything I need to check on at this stage or is it too late to ask questions? I know we will be pushing it to close on the 30th asis. There are wall sockets on each wall so that will be good for sub placement options. Not sure how I'm gonna run speaker wires through the walls since three walls are concrete. Any thoughts?

Hey Youthman,

I have been in construction my whole life ! I am not sure how much the Superintendent can do for you untill you close, unless his company is building the house for you. Putting in dimmers is one of the last things he would do in the trim out stage. The cans should be put in before the sheetrock goes up as they need to be wired in. As far as the speakers wires in the walls go there is bound to be some kind of wall finish that they could go behind. There are so many thing you could do but I would need alot more information.

Also it is " NEVER TO LATE TO ASK QUESTIONS "

Don

• Moderators

Thx for the reply Don. This is a new construction home. Some of the details can be found in this thread. I have attached the floorplan. The "Media Room" is the room I am referring to. This is our first home and I have never been a "handy man" but I'm totally willing to learn. The home is in a subdivision. The reason I referred to the superintendent is that it is my understanding that he is overseeing the construction and he will be the one who does the walkthrough with us in a few weeks prior to closing. This is all new to us so I am learning a lot. I'm sure none of that information helped you did it? LOL.

Avalon - floorplan.pdf

You know the cliche', the only dumb question is the one not asked. Absolutely ask the super anything you like. The worst answer he will give you is no. He or the builder may be willing to to do something for you without a work order change providing you pay cash. I am not suggesting anything unethical. Go to HD or Lowes and buy what you need and ask for him to install. It can't hurt to try. He may tell you the builder will not warranty the additional work.

Bill

You really need a plan as to what you want the room to look like and how you want things to be. Dimmers are indeed some of the last things to be done.

As to running the wires, it depends on what your budget is. To do it really right, you will need to install a free floating system with sound deadening materials for all 4 walls, ceiling and floor thus you will have a room IN a room, there will be no problem running wires in that situation. You must do something with the concrete though as you will have LOTS of unwanted refelections in your sound, false walls at a minimum, again no problem running wires. Anything else and you will be forced to run surface runs to anything mounted on the wall. Under the carpet is ok for getting around the room but if you are mounted in the middle of a concrete wall (really bad for sound) you will be forced to either run up from the floor or down from the ceiling.

As far as running speaker wires, you have a few options: Run under carpet flooring, run behind baseboards, run conduit either inside or outside your block walls, or run behind chair rail molding or crown molding. Even with concrete block walls you can still drop down inside providing you are aware which cells are poured and which are hollow.

Bill

Lighting will not be a problem as you have an open attic to run the wiring that you will need. You can use existing wiring to the lights already installed unless you want to install a new switch for the new cans you install. These cans can be remodel cans which are easy to install. Are the 3 walls solid conrete or concrete block. Since this is not a basement I am not sure why the walls are concrete unless this room is also being used as a shelter. I am curious about the finish on the walls in the Media Room.

This whole project gives you a chance to see how I feel when I come onto the forum asking questions.

I have the equipment but I am just not sure what to do with it to get the optimum sound from it.

Don

Bill,

" Even with concrete block walls you can still drop down inside providing you are aware which cells are poured and which are hollow. "

I was a commercial masonry contractor foy 15 years. There will always be a bondbeam block at the top of the wall poured with concrete unless the ceiling has been dropped, which i doubt, allowing you to come in under the bondbeam above the celing. If it is also used as a storm shelter it probably has poured cells vertically and horozontally for wind strength. Good idea but I dont think it will work !

Don

• Moderators

Are the 3 walls solid conrete or concrete block. Since this is not a basement I am not sure why the walls are concrete unless this room is also being used as a shelter. I am curious about the finish on the walls in the Media Room.

Ok, here is where my ignorance of construction shows. This is a regular room. I stated concrete walls but what I meant is that three sides are exterior walls so I figure there is concrete on the other side of them. The room has drywall on each side so maybe they have studs and drywall on top of the cement blocks. I'm not sure what is standard on exterior walls. You can see what I mean in the floorplan that is attached to my first post.

This whole project gives you a chance to see how I feel when I come onto the forum asking questions.

I just figure I can stay ignorant of what I do not know or I can ask questions and gain knowledge and understanding. We all should be continual learners in life.

No problem with the concrete misunderstanding, it's cool[;)]

If you have regular drywall walls, it is easy to run the wires in the walls if you have access to the attic. Cut a hole where you want to place a speaker, cut the drywall to take an old work Jbox, use an electric drill with a long electricans drillbit and snake the bit into the wall through the new hole in the wall. Leave the drill bit in the hole after you have drilled up into the attic then go up and connect your wire to the end of the drill, pull the drill down through the wall and out the hole. Thread the wire through the old work box, install the box into the hole in the wall and install a cover plate on the box. repeat as needed at the other end where the wires leave your AV equipment. DONE [:D]