Denon AVR-988 not recognizing subwoofer

SemperFi91

I just purchased a Denon AVR-988 receiver and was wondering if anyone else had any problems getting the subwoofer to be recognized.

Currently I have the RF-25, the RS-25, the RC-35 and the Synergy Sub 10 sub.

I've been able to get everything hooked up, but when I run the auto setup for the speakers, the receiver is not recognizing the sub. I have my microphone plugged in and I hear the 10 beeps for each of the fronts, the center and surrounds, but nothing happens when it hits the sub. I've tried adjusting the volume and the pass both up and down with no luck.

Any thoughts as this is the first Denon that I've owned? Thanks.

Welcome to the Form. You made a good selection and should have no problems. Although folks here have larger systems, for your room size you shoud be just fine.

AVR-988

$1,199.00

The AVR-988
has been rebuilt from the ground up and has been outfitted and updated
with the latest A/V theater technology allowing for enhanced multi-room
operation and performance. The AVR-988 now has HDMI v1.3a
which brings with it the new surround formats of Dolby Digital TrueHD
and dts Master Audio decoding providing for the ultimate surround
experience. Audyssey processing has been updated which will provide
improved auto calibration results for even smoother sound
reproduction. The Faroudja FLi2310 processor, one of the best in the
industry, has been employed to allow for video scaling to 1080p
resolution. An RS-232C system control port and serial IR ports are
provided for ease of integration for complex home audio installations
with 3rd party controllers. Additionally, the AVR-988 comes with a pre-programmed IR remote control.

Not quit the same but I have the Denon AVR-888 and I'm very happy with the sound. Mind you I just started into this venture (Home Theater) I still think it sounds amazing. I run a set of RF-35's RC35 and RS-42's with it and it was smooth sailing to setup with the audyssey mic, had to bump the sub output but that's just my taste I would think. The only issue I had with the Denon was the setup menu for the assignable inputs. I had to reread the manual a few times to get the hang of assigning the right video/audio source to the proper inputs. Once done it's working great, have a HD-DVD player, Sony PS3 and A HD PVR running off 2 HDMI and one Component in out to onw HDMI port to the projector. It scales the video nicely as well at 110". :) Hope that helps you a bit.

Clinton

Yes. I have the sub powered on and it is NOT set to "auto" so it's on all the time. I have the subwoofer cable coming out of the back of the sub and is plugged in to the "SW" connecter on the back of the receiver. I can go into the receiver menu and select my 5.1 surround mode and even select "Subwoofer - YES", but when I go and run the speaker test with the microphone, it comes back and doesn't show that it found my sub.

If I disconnect the sub cable from the back of the receiver and just touch the connector, I can here the sub making a loud noise so I know it's making the connection, but just not recognizing it.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much for the response! That was it. I mistakenly plugged in my sub to the incorrect "SW" jack on the back of the receiver. Once I plugged it in to the Pre-Out instead of the EXT-IN and ran the the auto setup, it found the sub with no problem.

Thanks again. I love this site for Klipsch owners!!

• 11 years later...
3 hours ago, KAZwicker said:

I'm new to home theatre setups. Friend of mine gave me a denon888. I have a subwoofer without its own power supply. It's not being recognized either. Do I need a subwoofer with its own power supply?

What sub?  Also, it's always best to start a new thread rather than resurrecting ones that are over a decade old.  👍

• 1 year later...