MD-VA-DC Strathmore Tchaikovsky 4th Klipschfest, Saturday, April 25, 2009

LarryC

This announces a Strathmore classical Klipschfest in the Bethesda, MD area next Spring, on Saturday, April 25, 2009. In past years, the DC gang of myself, Garymd, and Thebes has arranged similar events that have been extremely well received.

Last Fall may have been the best one yet – one of the great symphonic spectaculars of the 20th century – Gustav Holst’s The Planets. Read comments here: The Planets at Strathmore and MD-DC-VA tubes and Klipsch

The main events are for us Klipschheads to visit local forum members with great systems, and especially to attend a first-rate symphony concert at the Strathmore Hall in Bethesda, MD.

These are very exciting because we get to sit very close to the orchestra on one side of the concert stage. This gives us a VERY up-close and personal view of the full orchestra playing great symphonic works. There is NOTHING like seeing a great concert up close like this! Below is a pic from the back of the stage, which shows our seats on the first level immediately above the right side (see picture at the bottom of the post).

The music: I only organize one of these if a concert shows up that will be exceptional to see as well as hear. The Planets was clearly in that category. So, in looking at the 2008-2009 programs by the National Philharmonic (the one that did The Planets), this one jumped out at me:

• Alexander BORODIN: In the Steppes of Central Asia
  • Sergei PROKOFIEV: Violin Concerto No. 2
  • Peter TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4

The Borodin is a beautiful Russian oriental-type work. I am not familiar with the Prokofiev, but it is well-regarded. The Tchaikovsky 4th, though, is the spectacular showpiece of this concert – overwhelming emotionality and orchestral power as only Tchaikovsky can write it. One of the great symphonies of the world, it has a deeply emotional saga-like first movement; a melancholy second movement; the unique pizzicato third movement in which the strings are ONLY plucked, never bowed; and a furious, powerful finale. This symphony HAS to be heard AND seen to be believed.

Once again, tickets are reasonably priced – $31.20 each, up from $25 in previous years. As before, I have reserved prime seats in that balcony section over the side of the stage. Payment arrangements are described below

This time around, we have a great new system to visit – forum member Dhar Kalsi’s 1988 KBWO Klipschorns with ALK ES crossovers, Trachorns and JBL2404H tweeters; and a pair of 1983 Klipsch Cornwalls. Dhar is currently in the process of trying out different electronics, but whatever he ends up with is guaranteed excellent with those speakers!

The overall program is the following: Saturday morning can start at my place. Also, Thebes is happy to receive forum folk at his place in Reston, VA. We then head for Dhar’s to get there by noon. We leave after the mid-afternoon for the restaurant near Strathmore, and to the hall to park in good time to get to our seats by the 8:00 p.m. starting time.

Tickets: I made a deposit to hold 16 best-quality seats (A-37 to A-19 and B-27 to B-19 – http://www.strathmore.org/media/pdf/promenade.pdf); I will have to come up with the final payment by April. While I can release seats up to to that date, my deposit is non-refundable.

As in previous years, I am asking for your payments for the tickets in advance. Attendees have been outstanding in coming up with timely advance payments in the past! My intention is to neither make nor lose money on this. If someone has to bow out after paying, I will make refunds as I can. In this way, I have the commitments; everyone will attend the concert; and I’m not left holding the bag. Because the ticket price isn’t that much, I’d rather not ask for small separate payments for the deposit and the rest.

Equipment only (non-concert) attendees? Yes. While my living room is small, I have been able to handle modest overflows, and I believe Dhar can do the same. Accommodations for out-of-town visitors: Motels aren’t cheap -- I suggest looking at AAA for listings and prices, and at one time someone suggested www.hotwire.com. Although I live in the pricier Bethesda area, nearby Silver Spring may have some less expensive rooms.

Could those who are interested and think they can attend please post as soon as convenient? I would like to get an idea of how many. And, I am asking to receive your payments by October 15, 2008.

I think it will be great fun. See you there!

post-12148-13819417638496_thumb.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definitely IN. Last year was a fantastic concert experience and great fellowship with Forum brothers. Larry makes sure that we are well prepared for the concert with a pre-concert listen and libretto (I think that's what the cliff notes are called).

I might take a train this year as the airline was a bit dicey last go around.

Thanks for the invitation Larry! Please email a mailing address and check for my seat will be on it's way.

Dhar and Thebes- thanks for offering to show your systems. I understand that Dhar's has been growing exponentially. Good fun.

Michael

I am definitely IN. Last year was a fantastic concert experience and great fellowship with Forum brothers. Larry makes sure that we are well prepared for the concert with a pre-concert listen and libretto (I think that's what the cliff notes are called).

I might take a train this year as the airline was a bit dicey last go around.

Michael

Yeah, that was some pretty crappy weather that night last time.

Anywhere, as far as I know, I am definitly in for this one as well (just my luck, something totally kick-*** will come to Jaxx that night as well that I would also want to see [:o], like what happened with the Carmina Barona vs the Symphony X, but since I already had tickets to Sym X, well....). I guess I go to which ever I can get tickets to first, but since there is nothing scheduled for Jaxx thus far (their calander only goes up to Feb, plus the skiing is pretty much done by then).

So to again, count me in, especially as I love Tchiakovsky's work, and would be thrilled to finally get to actually see one of his symphonies being performed right in front of me!

HA, the two 'longhairs' are the first to sign up for the Symphony! I LOVE it!

It'll be good to see you again Steve. We just have to remember not to rock out too much as we are seated above the symphony again. I remember our premature applause and chit chat last year that got the orchestra's attention- LOL

I think I may take the train in. I can drive about 2.5 hours north to South Bend IN and ride to Rockville, very near Larry's place. It's quite a long train ride, but about the same cost as the gas for car and probably more relaxing with my iPod and Klipsch Image headphones. I've always wanted to do a trip like that.

And the landings are easier on the nerves.

Larry, is there a time that would be best for arrivals? Should we plan on getting in town on Friday afternoon for an overnight and all day listening and festivities on Saturday, to depart some time on Sunday? I don't want to overstay welcome or crowd anyone's schedule.

Michael,

Friday afternoon or evening is fine. While it's good to avoid the afternoon rush hour (4 to 6 pm), you apparently can take the train to Rockville, so you could take the Metro (subway) from either the Rockville or DC Union RR station to a short distance from my home. I'm fine with picking you up at the Rockville RR station, though. DC Union Station is more of a hassle.

Activities will be morning through evening on Saturday. Sunday activities are optional, none scheduled.

Thanks for coming!

Larry

EDIT: See Michael's thread asking about others' Amtrak experiences: Amtrak experiences?

Count me in! Can't wait.

I willing and able to put up one or two out-of -towers if they need a place to stay (forewarning-I'm a heavy smoker and the place smells like it).

I'll also have two seperate systems ready to go should anyone want to swing by on Sunday.

Larry's got a good ear for what constitutes a lively concert and hasn't bored anyone yet. So come on down!

Larry:

Put me on the tentative list and I will be able to make a decision well in advance of the Oct 15 payment deadline.

I have to make this trip as cheap as possible as well as using the least amount of vacation time. The announcement of the 2009 pilgrimage really puts a wrinkle in the whole situation.

Thanks to you all for offering up your time and your homes for this event

JJ

P.S. Thebes: If this is a go for me, I may have take you up on your offer. I'm a smoker as well and can tolerate a lot and can be right at home sleeping on the floor

Put me on the tentative list and I will be able to make a decision well in advance of the Oct 15 payment deadline.

I'll be happy to, and look forward to you seeing real-life great stuff.

I'm now thinking Oct. 15 is too early to ask for $$, and can handle the deposit I've made for the time being. However, I will want payment commitments sometime early next year.

There need to be at least 10 to get the discount of $31.20 per (otherwise, it's $39).

You're right, the Pilgrimage date does put in a "wrinkle."

Hi All,

I am eagerly looking forward to our annual get together. As Larry mentioned, I will be hosting the afternoon listening session at my place.

That being said, please do not expect my system to be on par with Gary's or Larry's. I am hoping to have a decent system assembled by then though.

What would really make the listening sessions enjoyable is if people can bring their own media (especially music your are most familiar with)

to listen on my system and openly critic it. I take no offense as I have witnessed and understand that there is always something better out there. Plus, I haven't owned enough

systems to be partial to any brand.

System 1 = Klipschorns with ALK ES X-over/Trachorn/JBL 2404 Tweeters + (system build in progress)

System 2 = Cornwall + Eico HF-85 + Eico HF-87

I will also have some finger food, drinks (alcoholic+non-alcoholic -> we have a bar in the basement), pool table, and basic home theater system with killer DIY subs

Can't wait :-)

I love Tchiakovsky's work, and would be thrilled to finally get to actually see one of his symphonies being performed right in front of me!

"Keepin' it hard, loud and metal"...........and appreciating Tchiakovsky......that's awesome. [:D]

.......not being sarcastic.

"Keepin' it hard, loud and metal"...........and appreciating Tchiakovsky......that's awesome. Big Smile

Steve has awesome knowledge of the classics -- I posed a little quiz a couple of years ago: what piece starts out with an unusual rhythm played by violins striking the strings with the wood backside of their bows (a darned obscure question!), and he immediately came up with the answer -- The Planets, a piece we heard a year later!

He also joined me at a concert with a greatly enlarged (150 pieces) orchestra playing the Alpine Symphony by R. Strauss and the Rite of Spring by Stravinsky. Talk about hard, loud and metal! We both thoroughly enjoyed it.

HA, the two 'longhairs' are the first to sign up for the Symphony! I LOVE it!

It'll be good to see you again Steve. We just have to remember not to rock out too much as we are seated above the symphony again. I remember our premature applause and chit chat last year that got the orchestra's attention- LOL

Now you mention it, that is pretty darn funny (Hey, didn't Beethoven have long hair?).

"Keepin' it hard, loud and metal"...........and appreciating Tchiakovsky......that's awesome. Big Smile

.......not being sarcastic.

One of the running jokes we got in the underground prog/power metal scene is that if Tchiakovsky, Beethoven, Stravinsky, Vivaldi, or <name classical composer> were still composing music, they would be doing metal [8][H].

There is something just so awe inspiring about seeing a full 80+ piece orchestra producing all that music, and on top of that it is "unamplified", which even blows my mind even more. Especially when they are playing a truly epic piece such as just about anything by Tchiakovsky. Heck, during some of the louder passages during Stravinksy's Rite of Spring we saw, the lady sitting next to me was covering her ears because it got so loud at one point!.

He also joined me at a concert with a greatly enlarged (150 pieces) orchestra playing the Alpine Symphony by R. Strauss and the Rite of Spring by Stravinsky. Talk about hard, loud and metal! We both thoroughly enjoyed it.

That was an incredible performance! Still bummed that I missed Carmina Burana this past May. as I would've also have loved seeing that, but that was entirely due to already being committed to going to that Symphony X and Epica concert that same night (hey, even the metal bands I like to see have "Symphony" in thier name!).

Well, I am definitly in for this one! I'll send you the money when I get back from Atlanta, GA (which will be next week) for the ticket.

There is something just so awe inspiring about seeing a full 80+ piece orchestra producing all that music,

Interesting..........Remember when hard rock/metal bands were implementing orchestras into their concerts........Metallica comes to mind......I never seen a live show like that.

Have you?........comments?......good?......bad? [:^)]

We will always have Deep Purple's Gemini Suite, Keith Emerson's Piano Concerto No. 1, ELP's version of Pictures at an Exhibition, Jon Lord Windows (and continuo on BAC#), ELO's misc madness , Objects of Fantasy (the music of Pink Floyd with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra), among others.

And let's not forget the many classical 'borrowings' from Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson and Jon Lord. Classical music has been part of rock music for quite some time.

I saw ELP with the full orchestra during the WORKS tour and Page/Plant for three shows (Led Zeppelin music with local orchestra and eastern section) - it's always a tremendously expensive affair touring an orchestra. Nowadays they usually use 'pickup' players from a nearby college (Yes - Symphonic is an example), but it still can be very dramatic and effective, although it rarely is a full-on fugue-type interaction like Purple demonstrated with Gemini. Backing strings or the occasional blurt by a horn section does not an orchestral score make imho.

There is something just so awe inspiring about seeing a full 80+ piece orchestra producing all that music,

Interesting..........Remember when hard rock/metal bands were implementing orchestras into their concerts........Metallica comes to mind......I never seen a live show like that.

Have you?........comments?......good?......bad? Huh?

I've, unfortunatly, have never seen anything like that 'live', also the closest is something like Therion, which had a small choir with them.

However, I've got numerous examples of where I have heard orchestras being used in producing rock/metal. The first and formost is the Rage "Lingua Mortis" collection, consisting of the albums, Lingua Mortis, XIII, Ghost, and Speak of the Dead which used a full orchestra. And these guys have been doing it before Metallica. Lingua Mortis and XIII are truly awesome works, far superior to Metallica's S&M in my own personal opinion.

The more recent Nightwish albums uses extensive orchestration, which I believe, are also performed by a real orchestra. Unfortunatly, not at the live shows (they use pre-recorded samples/loops), for the simple fact that touring an orchestra is extremely expensive. I would friggan love to see Nightwish perform live with the full orchestra.

The band Epica, for one album, composes a completely orchestra work called The Score. It does seem they did synthesize some of the more epic parts, but do use real strings and few other instruments (can't remember off the top of my head without digging out the actual album). I find it to be quite an epic and thrilling piece of work to listen to.

I could go on and on, such as Stratovarius Elements Pt 1 and Pt 2, Kamelot's Epica, Black Halo and Ghost Opera, Just about anything by After Forever, Epica, and Angtoria. The band Symphony X, especially on thier albums V : A Mythology Suite, Twilight on Olympus, and Devine Wings of Tragedy. uses quite a bit of orchestration, although quite a bit of it is synthisized (As much as I love this band, these guys cannot afford to hire a full orchestra to produce thier work - but they do put on one hell of a live show! I'll be seeing them for a third time this November!). Beyond Twilight has recorded a truly brilliant piece in the form of For the Love of Art and the Making.

Within the power and progressive metal scene, there is quite a few bands that due use orchestration - in fact, there is a subgenre often refered to as "symphonic metal".

Really is some truly fascinating music and when done well, could be very awe inspiring listen. Epic and powerful (which is one reason why I am finding much of the current "mainstream" to be pretty boring).

Sorry so late for responding Larry, but I would love to particicate in attending this function.

Payment can been made NLT than end of October, as I have a few medical bills still to clear out.

Assuming no more medical issues (all is well), I'll probably meet you guys somewhere on the Western Shore.

Colterphoto, GAS HAS GONE UP(nah, rides are still cool) [:D] ---- Will look forward to seeing you along w/the "crowd"

Mark

This is something brand spanking new that I just picked up when I was in Atlanta, GA over the weekend and ProgPower USA. It is so new, that it is not due to be released to the general public until the 30th!

This is a truly AWESOME example of mixing an orchestra with a metal band! I am listening to it now, and it has to be heard to be believed! That Metallica effort does not even come CLOSE to this! This has a full 60 piece orchestra, complete with a 30-voice choir! This thing friggan sounds killer on my B&K/RF-7 setup. I have a feeling that this may end up being a true classic! Indeed, if <name classical composer> was still alive, THIS is what he could very well have produced! I sometimes make the joke of what happens when you mix a symphony orchestra and prog metal band. Well, in this case they literally mixed a symphony orchestra and a prog metal band.

XYSTUS, Featuring the USConcert Orchestra, presents: Equilibrio : A Rock Opera:

61tXI70eZjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

In addition to this, I've also picked up these (have not had a chance to listen yet):

Within Temptation & The Metropole Orchestra : Black Symphony:

51WGkakQwIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Also uses a 60 piece orchestra and a 20 voice choir! This even includes a DVD of the entire concert! So looking forward to getting this spun on my rig

And then you have..

Symphonity : Voice from the Silence:

5134epiRXfL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Granted, I don't think this is using a full orchestra, but this an excellent example of a brand-new, modern band that is using heavily orchestrated parts as an integral part of the music (much more than a quick horn blare or splash of strings), giving it a very epic feeling (this only came on the 9th, so only has been a couple of weeks).

As I mentioned before, there are still a TON of bands/artists that are still using, if not actual orchestras (like the first two listed above), but vey heavily orchestrated parts, albeit, often sythesized, with some key instruments actually played, i.e., when I saw Evergrey at a ProgPower VII two years ago, they had an actual string quartet on the stage performing key parts of the music. I have a DVD of that performance as well. There is just something utterly wierd but cool when people started chanting "string quartet, string quartet" at a metal show! [H]. But to often find these types of acts now-a-days, it is often necessary to ditch the mainstream and start exploring the underground.