MD-VA-DC Strathmore Tchaikovsky 4th Klipschfest, Saturday, April 25, 2009

LarryC

Steve, do you want to bring some of those on April 25?

Are others thinking about coming? We're almost at the 10 needed for the discount price, but I have 16 seats reserved and we do have a good time with a large group, so don't be afraid to chime in.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, do you want to bring some of those on April 25?

Oh yeah! At the very minimum, I am definitly bringing that Xystus album. I honostly think you'll be very impressed with this yourself, even though I know "metal" is not exactly your cup of tea, but it is exactly listening to material like this that gives me a full appreciation of the actual classical music that you like to listen to, and why I find going to the symphony with you is such an experience in itself. The vice-versus is also true, as enjoying something like Tchiavosky's 4th symphony and other such classic and then seeing how such elements are being incorporated into brand-new, modern pieces like this. I find it amazing what some of these bands/composers now-a-days are doing with some of this stuff, as well as being able to still fully appreciate the classics that have been out there for so many years. Just for example, I've overheard somebody at one of the vendor tables trying to find that Epica, The Score, album that I played for you last year or so.

BTW, I'll put a check in the mail sometime Tomorrow or Tuesday for the tickets.

This thing friggan sounds killer on my B&K/RF-7 setup.

Hey Steve.......That's what I'm talkin' bout. [Y]

I'm ready for something new.....since I've been listening to the same Hard Rock/Classic Rock/Heavy Metal for years now. The new mainsteam stuff that's out today doesn't quite cut it........I mean, remember the days when you bought an album and the whole thing rocked. Now, buy a cd and maybe 1 to 3 songs are good. [*-)]

The only prog/rock I've heard is Dream Theatre.......correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that's how they were labeled? I've got one of their DVD's......can't remember the name off hand but it's recorded at Budakon. Sounds awesome on my RF-7's.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for those albums you mentioned........besides, those chicks look hot. [;)]

This thing friggan sounds killer on my B&K/RF-7 setup.

Hey Steve.......That's what I'm talkin' bout. Yes

I'm ready for something new.....since I've been listening to the same Hard Rock/Classic Rock/Heavy Metal for years now. The new mainsteam stuff that's out today doesn't quite cut it........I mean, remember the days when you bought an album and the whole thing rocked. Now, buy a cd and maybe 1 to 3 songs are good. Confused

The only prog/rock I've heard is Dream Theatre.......correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that's how they were labeled? I've got one of their DVD's......can't remember the name off hand but it's recorded at Budakon. Sounds awesome on my RF-7's.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for those albums you mentioned........besides, those chicks look hot. Wink

And the risk of completely hi-jacking Larry's thread.....

Yeah, tell me about it. The new mainstream stuff just does not cut it for me either, which is why I pretty much left that crap behind going on 10 years now! In addition, I have gotten so played out on the likes of Led Zepplin (despite the fact that I got every one of thier albums), Metallica (although, I'll concede that I did pick up thier new album), Journey, and many of the others that I remember growing up with, but the radio proceeded to pretty much play into the ground. It was time for me to really start seeking out something new and fresh, but still within the same genre of music that I have always enjoyed and grew up with (yes, I've tried other genres, even dipping into rap/hip-hop back in the 80's when that was the "coolest, hippest" thing going at the time - quickly got tired of it, as it became so stupid and formulaic, esepecially when they started getting into that gang-bangin crap). I am still blown away at just the caliber of the music that I've been able to find as of late, yet very rarely, if ever, will any of it ever see the airways of the FM radio.

As to the albums, well, again, if you ditch the mainstream and really start digging in the underground scene, you will find darn near every album is still like the old days, when you can sit down and listen to the entire thing from the first note to the final fade-out and enjoy every single second of it! Instead of only one or two tracks being decent and the rest is filler, I have been getting 12 totally killer tracks and an occasional odd track here and there that was not quite as good, but still worth at least sitting through to get to the next track.

Dream Theater is a very good start. I would highly recommend thier Images and Words album, which is often considered to be one of thier best efforts. Also highly suggest Metropolis Part 2 : Scenes from a Memory.

However, and I am listening to this right now, is yet another album that I found where a heavy metal band has incorporated a full symphony orchestra within thier music (I don't know which orchestra, though, as it does not say in the credits in the CD insert. It just mentions about a philharmonic orchestra):

Amaseffer - Exodus : Slaves for Life:

51a9tx62uVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is the first part of a planned trilogy telling the story of Moses and the escape from Egypt to the Promised Land as chronicaled in the old testament (Book of Exodus). This a very epic and powerful album, incorporating a very interesting mix a of full symphonic "movie score" played by a full symphony orchestra, a progressive metal band, as well as incorporating a very eastern style of music in places. The name of the band itself is derived from the Hebrew meaning "The People of the (holy) Book". You can sample the MP3's from Amazon. Religous overtone or not, there is no denying that this is still a truly incredible and well composed and performed piece here! Could this also possibly become truly a classic as well?

Some truly amazing and awe inspiring stuff still out there waiting for the curious listener to discover!

P.S., yes, indeed, those chicks are indeed hot, considering that I've actually seen a couple of them, (Simone Simons especially) perform. Not only friggan awesome voices, but also very easy on the eyes! [:D]

Well, since you are off into such things in this thread, anybody else familiar with "Three Pieces For Blues Band and Orchestra" with the Siegel/Schwall (sp? too lazy to go check) band and the San Francisco Orchestra under a young, hippie, Seiji Ozawa? GREAT experience on a fine DGG pressing.

It reminds me of a modern "Rhapsody in Blue" and I have remained surprised it has not be reprised.

Dave

Again, I wish I could make it.[:'(] I'm sure it will be a blast! Hard to squeeze out the grand for the trip from the left coast! Hey Larry, how about coming to CA for one of these? The SF Symphony is supposed to be pretty nice!

Have a great time, forum brothers! Metallica-SM-160544.jpg551389767_dabf44c06f.jpg?v=0

Gregg, that concert-in-the-round or whatever they call it looks very nice. I've seen pics of a number of European concert halls like that, glad to see it spread to newer halls here.

Yeah, I'm sorry the trip is too much from there. Why don't you hold a classical concertfest in SF to freshen up the idea?

Hey, no problem -- why not just pack your overnighter and come on down on April 25? Smile

Larry.....Thanks very much for the invite but unfortunately my job rarely ever allows me to schedule anything too far in advance. Just the nature of my job.

However, this discussion has sparked some interest in me to try something new. Perhaps I will attend something in the Chicago-Milwaukee area. My gf is also interested. For myself, almost any kind of live performance is of interest to me. Any suggestions on what might be in my area?

Thanks again,

Scott.

this discussion has sparked some interest in me to try something new. Perhaps I will attend something in the Chicago-Milwaukee area. My gf is also interested. For myself, almost any kind of live performance is of interest to me. Any suggestions on what might be in my area?

The Great Lakes locals might have better ideas for that area. BTW, Boomac, JMalotky and Damon held a great group fest near Milwaukee a few years ago, but we didn't hit up a concert.

Here, we have the advantage of a very good local orchestra that plays at Strathmore so we don't have to go to the expensive and complicated Kennedy Center. I assume you are not talking about arranging a group outing, so the following seems like a good classical recommendation: the Milwaukee SO under its new conductor designate, the internationally-known conductor Edo de Waart plays the Dvorak New World Symphony, on Saturday Nov. 1 (as well as Friday and Sunday) -- http://www.mso.org/main.taf?erube_fh=tessitura&tessitura.submit.CalendarPerfLink=1&PerfNo=6676.

Seats are a factor for me -- the MSO auditorium apparently doesn't have seats over the side and back of the stage like Strathmore does. The best view may be the "Side Loge" as close to the stage as you can get. Might be expensive, though. Orchestra would be good, as far forward as you can get except not the first few rows. See http://www.mso.org/main.taf?p=1,4.

EDIT: If you decide to go on 11/1 and the side loge is too pricey, get Premium Orchestra seats ($56 ea.), toward the middle and not off to the extreme sides.

UPDATE: Things are looking good for attendance! I count 11 "definite" forum members and myself, and friend Jim Joy from last year. There are 3 other forum member "tentatives," waiting on work schedules.

PAYMENTS: I have two checks already, and robust promises from others. Thank you!

I would like to get your checks -- $31.20 each -- around November 1, almost two weeks from now. I didn't want this reminder to land in the middle of the Holidays run-up or to start scrambling for them right after that. For those who aren't sure yet, I can hang onto all the seats until around April 1.

As in the past, if anyone has to cancel, I'll make refunds as I can. Just to repeat, my basic principle is to neither lose nor make money in this adventure!

SCHEDULE: At least one of you will be coming in Friday afternoon. I'll have an open house then, and we'll go to a cheap place for dinner.

On Saturday, April 25, we'll begin at my place in the morning. We'll go to Dhar Kalsi's before noon and tour his equipment and settings after a light lunch. Then, to the restaurant in Bethesda. I'd like to go to Jean-Michel's, a mile or so from Strathmore. Then, to the hall in plenty of time to park and get seated.

CONCERT: There are three works. The main item is the amazing Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4, the work that led me to choose this concert.

Thank you in advance for the patronage (and checks[:)])!