MD-VA-DC Strathmore Tchaikovsky 4th Klipschfest, Saturday, April 25, 2009

LarryC

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael, Mike Lindsey, others -- you may remember last May's thread, Over 3,000 records for sale in DC area (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/104617.aspx?PageIndex=1). I took a longish trip down to Lusby, MD, ended up weeding out many more records than the classical LPs I brought back. They are listed in the thread.

They've sat in a box ever since, unplayed! So, I'm thinking of taking some time Saturday to play selections, and people can decide which they might want. Michael will be coming in Friday, so he'll have an early chance to hear them. I'll try to sample before 4/25.

I'll be posting restaurant and agenda info soon.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

This is to announce that our late Saturday afternoon pre-concert dinner will once again be held at the Mamma Lucia restaurant in Bethesda, MD. We'll meet there at 5:15 p.m., and aim to leave at 7:15 p.m. to get to the concert hall, park, and get seated in good time.

Bethesda, MD 20814

Though I looked at other places, Mamma's still has a very nice, varied menu that's not that expensive, and offers excellent choices. Good parking right next door, and another new garage nearby should make parking and unparking quick and easy. I've reserved 12-14 places in the partially-closed area on the right toward the back.

Here's the website and menu:

http://www.mammaluciarestaurants.com/locations/bethesda.php

http://www.mammaluciarestaurants.com/menus/DinnerMenu.pdf

Here again is the National Philharmonic website and the program, led by the same excellent conductor who wowed everyone in The Planets:

http://www.nationalphilharmonic.org/strathmoreconcerts.htm

Piotr Gajewski, Conductor
Cho-Liang Lin, Violin

BORODIN In the Steppes of Central Asia
PROKOFIEV Violin Concerto No. 2
TCHAIKOVSKY Symphony No. 4

I'll gin up an agenda in a couple of weeks.

Larry

P.S. I can still order another ticket or two if anyone else wants to join us.

• 2 weeks later...

The fest on Saturday 4/25 is a little over a week away, and it's time for an agenda! As noted above, we don't have another Forum member's place scheduled this time around, so, I'll lay out ideas and times for my place and be on the lookout for other ideas.

Friday afternoon:

-- Colter arrives by train from Indiana. We'll listen to classical LPs I bought from TNRabbit in Southern MD (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/104617.aspx?PageIndex=1) and pick some for Michael, Mike Lindsey, and anyone else interested.

-- Listen to selected classical and non-classical LPs and CDs, and/or watch selections from one or two of the San Fran Symphony classical DVDs (Beethoven's Third Symphony or Stravinsky's Rite of Spring).

-- Dinner at a cheap place (Tastee Diner?)

Saturday morning, 10:00 to Noon:

-- Selected non-classical LPs and CDs, DVDs.

• Gary may bring over his new reissues of non-classical LPs.
  • Skonopa will bring some of his remarkable CDs or DVDs, [edit:] like XYSTUS.
  • I will have a limited selection of RTR tapes which may or may not pass muster!
  • Others may bring some of their favorite DVDs, LPs, or CDs.

-- Lunch -- pizza brought in or other preferred eating (group consensus!).

Saturday afternoon, 1:00 to 5:00:

-- For this concert: DVD of Michael Tilson Thomas/SFS illustrating some of Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony. VERY interesting conversations with orchestral musicians, with samples of their prep and playing with a symphony orchestra. Fascinating (to me) conductor's role and personality. [;)]

Late Saturday afternoon to evening:

5:15 PM: Meet for dinner at Mamma Lucia's in Bethesda, MD --

4916 Elm Street
Bethesda, MD 20814

Good parking right next door, and another new garage nearby should make parking and unparking quick and easy. I've reserved places in the partially-closed area on the right toward the back. Here's their website and menu: http://www.mammaluciarestaurants.com/locations/bethesda.php, http://www.mammaluciarestaurants.com/menus/DinnerMenu.pdf.

7:15 PM: Leave for Strathmore, to get parked and to our seats in good time.

8:00 PM: Concert, probably ending at 10:30 PM or 11:00 PM.

Sunday: Travel back home, no other definite plans for the group. Colter and I may go shoot pics on the Washington Mall.

Per Larry's agenda, I volunteered to bring over LPs for those who, like me, are addicted to the recent LP reissues from Rhino, Classic Records, Blue Note 45 Series, etc. I have quite a few (probably 50 or more) purchased over the past year and I'm happy to let folks hear how they sound on Larry's system. If you are interested and would like a list of what I have on hand, please let me know and I'll do my best to provide one.

Hi All:

Due to some scheduling conflicts, I will be unable to attend this years Klipschfest.

I'm really bummed as I hate to miss an opportunity to gather with the forum friends I have met over the years. I will also miss the chance to meet Marty (Thebes) and Gary (GaryMD) who have been on the forums about as long as I have.

Thank you Larry for being the Entertainment Director for we all no is not an easy task.

Also, thank you to all the people who are opening up their homes for this event.

JJ

Ya shouldn't of auta done that JJ. I've had The Twins scrubbing floors, doing laundry and polishing silver all week long in anticiaption of your arrival. They didn't want to get any good clothes dirty so they were only wearing aprons. When they were down on their kness working I'd walk over and say my favorite phrase "Say, you missed a spot over there".

I think I'm officially in trouble.

... so they were only wearing aprons. When they were down on their kness working I'd walk over and say my favorite phrase "Say, you missed a spot over there".

I think I'm officially in trouble.

Tell me about it! I shipped the thread to some women outside the Forum.

Time for a little more specificity on the agenda for Friday and Saturday. I have edited this slightly.

Friday afternoon:

I have a bunch of new and old LPs I've been listening to the past 2-3 days, and am ready to roll with Colter. Some came from my trip to TNRabbit's sale in So. Maryland. ANYONE ELSE IS WELCOME TO DROP BY.

• Excellent Haydn symphonies on Nonesuch (which sometimes had the clearest, most natural-sound in the old LP days with, e.g., the Little Orchestra of London)
  • Other -- a new Living Stereo LP with Monteux conducting the Elgar Enigma Variations and Brahms Haydn Variations, and MANY other classical
  • Count Basie LPs, which sound terrific to me -- wow, they play FAST
  • Classical DVDs, such as the wonderful slow movement from the New World Symphony by Dvorak
  • Classical AND NON-CLASSICAL CDs from my hundreds on hand

Saturday morning, 10:00 to Noon:

Saturday afternoon until 4:30:

• Above items, continued
  • I suggest we look at the DVD with Michael Tilson Thomas's description and introduction of players, etc. for one movement of the Tchaikovsky 4th.

Dinner and Concert to follow

Larry

Larry, looking forward to the trip and weekend.

I'd definitely like to spend some time studying the Tchaikovsky 4th that we will be hearing that evening.

Do you mind if I bring along a couple of scrupulously clean LP's? Probably some of my new found jazz pieces. I'd like to sample them on your fantastic system for comparison.

M

I just ordered the 2 new Van Morrison reissues along with Chicago I and II from Rhino. Anybody get a chance to hear any of these yet? The reviews are pretty favorable. I own the original Chicago pressings and I think they both sound very good (Gary doesn't care much for II), but am hoping the Rhino pressings blow them away.

As for Saturday, my plan is to play some golf in the morning and then try and get to Larry's house by 3:30 or so. I look forward to seeing everybody again this year. This should be a lot of fun.

Mike