How to use a SS CD with a vintage Tube integrated amp

Lawrence H Wesson

I am looking at Scott and Fisher integrated amps. However I do not have (nor want) a phonograph. I want to play only CDs. Is there an existing input you can use or do you have to add a modification to the amp in order to play a CD. If you were to use an existing amp input, what is your guess on how well the CD would sound as compared to a modern SS amplifier. I guess what I am trying to ask is - does the CD not work well with a tube integrated amplifier.

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Larry

P.S. How do you place your System Profile automatically (below) without having to copy and paste it in every time (like I did below). I'm new, this is my second post but I cannot find any help material on these things. I have emailed amy@klipsch.com, the email goes through but no one has responded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Music:

1985 KHorns, Onkyo TX-SV515PRO Receiver, Sony CD/DVD Player DVP-S560D.

For HT:

Polk RTi10 (front spkrs), Polk PSW10 Subwoofer, Polk CS1000p Center Chnl., Pair in wall rear channel Polk Spkrs, Pioneer VSX-1015TX Receiver, Sony BDP S500 Blu-Ray DVD/CD. Polk SDA-1s

Larry

P.S. How do you place your System Profile automatically (below) without having to copy and paste it in every time (like I did below). I'm new, this is my second post but I cannot find any help material on these things. I have emailed amy@klipsch.com, the email goes through but no one has responded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Music:

1985 KHorns, Onkyo TX-SV515PRO Receiver, Sony CD/DVD Player DVP-S560D.

For HT:

Polk RTi10 (front spkrs), Polk PSW10 Subwoofer, Polk CS1000p Center Chnl., Pair in wall rear channel Polk Spkrs, Pioneer VSX-1015TX Receiver, Sony BDP S500 Blu-Ray DVD/CD. Polk SDA-1s

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum! I am new here also! If you go to the top of the page, you will see a "Edit Profile" button. You can paste your system profile in the system profile box.

I hope that helps,

Dennie

Hey Lawrence.....Just wanted to welcome you aboard........wait until you try to post a pic on this screwy site!!!! [:D] you need a post graduate degree.....

anyway Scott and Fisher make some very nice integrated amps that go very well with Klipsch...that you should really enjoy....keep us posted on what you get

PS we'll turn you to to the dark side and you'll be spinning vinyl before you know what happened to ya!!!! [:D]

Hey Lawrence.....Just wanted to welcome you aboard........wait until you try to post a pic on this screwy site!!!! [:D] you need a post graduate degree.....

anyway Scott and Fisher make some very nice integrated amps that go very well with Klipsch...that you should really enjoy....keep us posted on what you get

PS we'll turn you to to the dark side and you'll be spinning vinyl before you know what happened to ya!!!! [:D]

On using Aux vs Tape input, be careful with the tape circuit. Reason? Some SS CD players output voltages are quite high and you can easily drive the amp into clipping. But.... if the CD player is high quality, the output voltage should be the standard 150-200 mV and thus works perfectly on either circuit. Check the specs on the tube amp, and see what the Aux circuit shows as input sensitivity, etc. Sometimes, the aux circuit seems to work/sound better.

wait until you try to post a pic on this screwy site!!!!

Or suffer from spastic keyboard syndrome and mysteriously create multiple posts... Surprise  We've all been there & done it so it's cool (cept of course, when Fenderbender does it) Wink

So I suffer from keyboard turrets syndrome......At least I stopped typing out uncontrollable expletives $hit, Crap, Pi$$....whoops there I go again [:D][:D][:D]

GLA.....Most all the ladies have told me I have "magic fingers"........I guess they meant they magically find there way into my wallet for money[;)]

On using Aux vs Tape input, be careful with the tape circuit. Reason? Some SS CD players output voltages are quite high and you can easily drive the amp into clipping. But.... if the CD player is high quality, the output voltage should be the standard 150-200 mV and thus works perfectly on either circuit. Check the specs on the tube amp, and see what the Aux circuit shows as input sensitivity, etc. Sometimes, the aux circuit seems to work/sound better.

yea like he said

Also please consider new cpacitors for your K Horn networks.

Audio Flynn rule of thumb is an netwok cpacitor over 10 years old needs to be replaced.

I am probably going to rebuild my RB-5 networks next.