Just purchased pair of RF-83's for 2ch use.

Phredd47

Speakers will share duties with KLF-30's. I like both, but the 30's still remain my favorite, but this question is specifically for the RF-83's. My question has to do with SPL level and amplifier output.

Aside from spkrs my system consists of all Rotel. RB-1070 amp---RC-1070 preamp---RCD-1072 cd player. Ooops, also have an Audio Control EQ101 SeriesIII equalizer.

My normal listening using a Radio Shack spl meter is between 98 and almost to 110db. All reading A-weighted. On average I'd say 100db A-weighted. The volume control at these levels is approximately 11 o'clock, and never further. Problem is, I still want a little more volume level. As far as the Eq goes, very rarely do I have it in the loop. If need be it is only used sparingly to adust for major rises/dips in certain frequencies.

The RB-1070 is rated at 130wpc, with it able to be bridged to provide 360wpc. I think what I'd like is maybe 10 or more db. Are these spkrs able to provide AND sustain such a high db output? I'm assuming most would recommend I bridge the amp? Yes I've had my hearing tested, all came out Ok.

Speakers are 6 1/2ft apart, 1 ft from rear, about 1-1 1/12 from corner. Seating position is appx 7-8 ft from spkrs which are slightly toed in.

Any thoughts? Just one thing, listening lower than what I already do not really an option. I do hope to have a digital cam so I can share My best friend, lol.

Thanks in advance, Fred

Beware bridging your amp for more power; that usually lowers the damping AND you can rarely drive less than 8 ohms on a bridged amp. Plus, sometimes they just don't sound good bridged. Only your ears can tell you for sure.

The RF-83s are 250 watts Continuous & 800 MAX. They also supposedly have a dip down below 4 ohms at some frequencies, so if you DO choose to bridge, I'd be very judicious while testing....

Wow, that's pretty loud! Your hearing may be OK now, but in a few years, probably not. (I'm assuming you're not a geezer).) I forget what the exact numbers are, but I think the OSHA limit on safe exposure to noise is like 88dBA for 8 hours per day. If you raise the loudness to even 100dB, let alone 110, the safe time limit goes down drastically.

As for amp bridging, my experience has been that sound quality went down too much to justify it. Of course, you might like it just fine.

Beware bridging your amp for more power; that usually lowers the damping AND you can rarely drive less than 8 ohms on a bridged amp. Plus, sometimes they just don't sound good bridged. Only your ears can tell you for sure.

The RF-83s are 250 watts Continuous & 800 MAX. They also supposedly have a dip down below 4 ohms at some frequencies, so if you DO choose to bridge, I'd be very judicious while testing....

2.8ohms at 34 hertz I believe. My denon 3805 is soo claimed 120 watts did not have enough current so I have to use the crown xti 1000. I had a stereo HK receiver before and it was perfectly fine with the bass.

The RB-1070 is rated at 130wpc, with it able to be bridged to provide 360wpc. I think what I'd like is maybe 10 or more db. Are these spkrs able to provide AND sustain such a high db output? I'm assuming most would recommend I bridge the amp? Yes I've had my hearing tested, all came out Ok.

If you want 10 more DB, you need to double the power 3 times (to get 9 db). That means that you need an amp that can put out an HONEST 1040 watts. I have a pair of Bryston 7B ST monoblocks that will do an honest 800 to 900 wpc at 4 ohms whiel still putting out a clean output.

You should look for fully horn loaded speakers like Colter's commercial stack, or K Horns so that you are starting well above 100 db. Your current amp should be able to drive these to your desired (and insane) goal. I'm glad that you don't live next door. [8o|]

Thank you all for your replies.

As for bridging, I understand I'd have to go inside the amp, so I'll just have to be happy with the volume I'm able to achieve now.

[:D] Nah JDM56, I'm only 47, guess I'm a few years away from 'geezer' status, lol. Too funny.

Hi Vital, as for the differences between the two, I'm an 'odd' one in that I tend to like something by their looks. I guess it's something about the 2 12's and the extra little width of the cabinet, tho not as deep. Actually I could listen to either one all day.

It would be nice I suppose to have that much power in reserve as the Crown's. But, I already scrimped and saved to get the RF-83's, so the Crown's are way out of my range, but thanks for the link.

So all in all I guess I'll just tame down my listening level to the high 90's, and just have to be satisfied.

Thx Jay

I just googled the Crown XTI1000, clicked first place it came upon, ZZSounds.com, new is $499.

I see that You own one, I'm not familiar but it looks like a proffesional amp. Will it connect easily?

I see the spkr inputs are ok, will the preamp inputs require a different connect?

Thanks, Fred

For Jay48195, is the XTI1000 rating sufficient. What levels do You choose to listen at? Or should I maybe consider the XTI2000 which is 475w@8--800w@4?

Obviously at least I think, being I'm no electronics whiz, would having all that extra power be better?

Also I was hoping a Pro shop here in Maine would carry Crown but no luck. They did recommend the QSC brand. I looked at the GX3. but it's not made for 2 ohm loads. Would I have to worry about a 2 ohm load with the RF-83? The GX-5 is okay for that. Both amps also accept RCA connects if it matters.

GX-3 was rated for 300w@8---425@4, cost $300. GX-5 was rated 500w@8---700w@4, cost $400. Though I don't like the adjustable frequency knobs on front panel.

Seems this started so simple for a simple guy Smile, now I'm like way confused Confused. I basically would just like sustainable 100-105db, without worries of amp being clipped.

Thanks, Fred

Seems this started so simple for a simple guy Smile, now I'm like way confused Confused. I basically would just like sustainable 100-105db, without worries of amp being clipped.

Yup, that's how it starts. I now have 3 sets of RF-7s with all kinds of other goodies and when I started I just wanted a nice pair of speakers. It sucks you in though! Can't wait to start stacking the Emotiva gear! If you're thinking about adding a amp, I think you should also look at Emotiva. Probably the best bang for the buck besides the pro gear. http://www.emotiva.com/xpa2.feature.html

For Jay48195, is the XTI1000 rating sufficient. What levels do You choose to listen at? Or should I maybe consider the XTI2000 which is 475w@8--800w@4?

its up to you the speaker is rated for 250 watts. I listen most at 80-90 db but have brief loud sessions

Obviously at least I think, being I'm no electronics whiz, would having all that extra power be better?

not always

Also I was hoping a Pro shop here in Maine would carry Crown but no luck. They did recommend the QSC brand. I looked at the GX3. but it's not made for 2 ohm loads. Would I have to worry about a 2 ohm load with the RF-83? The GX-5 is okay for that. Both amps also accept RCA connects if it matters.

I chose the crown because the fan does not turn on until need

GX-3 was rated for 300w@8---425@4, cost $300. GX-5 was rated 500w@8---700w@4, cost $400. Though I don't like the adjustable frequency knobs on front panel.

Thanks, Fred

my denon reciever did 105 easily but it lacked sufficent bass because of the ohm dip. the amp is solely for bass.

I now have 3 sets of RF-7s

........Atta Boy. [Y]

I use Crown XTI 2000's with RF-7's in a bi-amp configuration and absolutely love them. [:D]

On the other hand.....The XTI's powering the 7's in a normal two-channel setup doesn't do anything for me unfortunately.[:(]