Bob Carver at CarverFest '08

TNRabbit

Bob Carver, of Phase Linear, Carver Corporation & Sunfire fame, attended our second annual CarverFest in the Smoky Mountains this month (10-15 Sep 08). Some pics from the event (see details at http://www.carveraudio.com - you'll need to sign up for access to some items):

CarverFest 08 Group Photo 1

That's Bob in the hat, top center.

CF 08 Bob & AL-V speakers

Here's Bob talking with CarverAudio.com webmeister, James Sauter, and another forum member about James' prototype AL-V loudspeakers.

CF 08 group photo 2

Another photo of the group; several members were in and out over the 5-day event.

Bob with plaque

Bob with the plaque we all signed & presented to him.

Skip's Plats

Gary's AL-IIIs

James system

Lightstar

Linn speakers

F1Nut system

treitz3 rig

Bob signed CD Player

Some member's systems they hauled with them to the Fest. He signed a few items, as well... [:D]

AL-V prototypes

AL-V prototypes designed by James Sauter (one of two pair made)

Tube Amps

Bob gave held a drawing to give away a pair of these tube monoblock amps he designed! Wow! He also gave away a pair of his Sunfire Cinema Ribbon speakers (CRM-2).

Bob & Ribbon

IMG_0705.jpg

The cabins were FANTASTIC!

I have to say, Bob is the most approachable multi-millionaire engineer I've every met. He spent the entire 5 days at the event and was most approachable
& it was quite clear he had an EXCELLENT time! I had an opportunity
to steal about 30 minutes of his time. We talked about the history of
how I got my system together (he said of my AL-IIIs "they're MINT!")
and also about an easy physical mod to counter the 7-8k ribbon
resonance WITHOUT a notch filter in the crossover/eq. HINT: check out the front of the new Sunfire
Cinema Ribbons. He came to me on three different occasions & asked
to hook up his tube amps to my system~what an honor! (It sounded
FANTASTIC, BTW)

Bob relentlessly signed everything
we put in front of him; I'm certain he was suffering from carpal tunnel
syndrome by the end of the week! A HUGE thanks out to him for putting
up with a bunch of drooling goobs falling over ourselves at sight of
him....he is really just a great person & made everyone feel

completely as ease. Once we were over the euphoria of meeting him, it
was as easy to talk to him as anyone else at the Fest. He was
interested in everyone's systems & eagerly swallowed up details of
how we did what & what we thought about things. If you asked him a
question about his thoughts on how something might sound, he'd say "I
don't know, let's TRY it!" I only HOPE I have his energy level &
spark of life when I'm his age. James
Sauter made an EXQUISITE plaque for Bob (see above
) that we all signed with gold & silver pens. Bob was close to tears
when James presented it to him.

-The surroundings in the Great Smoky Mountains was fantabulous!
Hot tubs on the deck, plenty of fresh air, things to do within a few
miles, TONS to keep you busy in audio listening & discussion. Who
could ask for more?!?

Gary, this thread should be in 2-channel, where I think a lot more people will look at it. At least a link and a copy of your multi-pic post. It looks like a terrific event, and definitely the kind of mountain greenery setting I really like for meetings and conferences! Did you take your Carver Amazing Loudspeakers there?

TNRabbit's system with the "Carver Amazing" loudspeakers really is amazing in how it fills his listening room with spacious music sound. Gave me real pause.

You should think about coming up for the Strathmore Klipsch fest. MD-VA-DC Strathmore Tchaikovsky 4th Klipschfest, Saturday, April 25...

Larry

TNR I would of loved this..

Did he mention anything about the new but delayed Sunfire 401 HT pre amp?

Or home theater in general?

I would of enjoyed this for sure!

You know, we spent so much time on 2-channel stuff, I don't think anyone even asked about the new Sunfire stuff. I got the impression Bob doesn't have much to do with Sunfire anymore. There was talk of a new floor-to-ceiling line array ribbon.....very tasty sounding! It's in the planning stages now, probably NOT with Sunfire....

Sounds like Bob is going in another direction, yet again? Phase Linear, Carver, Sunfire! Now what?

In My Opinion...what a shame!

Yes, "purist" 2 channel people, usually never go to the dark side of Home Theater...LOL

I could just see myself up there in the woods in a log cabin sipping a big glass of wine in a private hot tub with a great view with my wife too!!!! Oh, and listening to some great gear/ speakers too! hehehehehehe

I would've really enjoyed attending the fest and to meet the legend himself! What an honor that must've been.

From '83 to '01 I was a loyal Carver owner...my Magneplanars never sounded sweeter than with the clean, accurate power of my TFM-35x (the two M-400t cubes were each bridged to mono to drive my DIY subwoofer). There will always be a soft spot in my heart for Carver gear, and I sometimes wish I had never gone in a different direction audio-wise; too bad I couldn't afford two seperate systems or I would've never sold my classic Carver gear to help finance my love of tubes and horns!

I've been out of the loop since 2001...is Bob relinquishing Sunfire or resurrecting Carver Corp. or starting a whole different company?

Before%20Klipsch.jpg

According to Bob, he's "just another employee" now. I think he got frustrated with the way the company has decided to go. When Carver Corporation first went public & he installed a board of directors, they eventually voted him out of power then proceded to run the company into the ground. He came back a few years later to try to save the corporation, but it was too late. I think he's about ready to retire, but he just loves to tinker too much! He is starting a possible new speaker line with James Sauter, who runs the carveraudio.com website & has been doing ribbon repair with his father for years. I get the impression Bob would be happy to design it and let James run with the ball, with Bob's name used in there somewhere. I think Elan bought Sunfire to pretty much dismantle the company, because a once-vibrant 200+ employee company in Washington state has now been reduced to less than 10 employees & all manufacturing has been sent out of country, mostly to China.

That looks like a very cool event.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob Carver last year at a Sunfire promo event in Dallas. Fortunately for me, it was not well attended by real audio fans, so I got to talk with Bob pretty much one-on-one all evening. Super smart and super nice guy.

Cool Seadog. Bob Carver's done some really cool stuff over the years. I remember reading about his building prototype amplifiers capable of something like 350 WPC using a coffee can for the chassis when firrst starting Phase Linear.

I wonder if any other amplifier designer of home audio amplifiers has designed as wide a weight range as Bob has? Smallish practically flea weight high power high current to big HEAVY monoblock tube amplifiers.

Very sad days in audio history when Sunfire was bought by a big conglomerate and when the Carver board forced Bob out. I've never really head them, but I always was intrigued by his claim that in a few minutes he could make his solid state amp sound like a tube amp....

Well, I can't say for certain how close to a tube amp his offerings sounded since I had no frame of reference back then, but I thoroughly enjoyed the sounds of my M-400t and TFM-35x power amps. I can only imagine the sonic characteristics of Bob's best Carver and Sunfire amplifiers...never heard any Phase Linear products, but I suppose at the time they were really something.

• 3 months later...

Gary, this thread should be in 2-channel, where I think a lot more people will look at it. At least a link and a copy of your multi-pic post. It looks like a terrific event, and definitely the kind of mountain greenery setting I really like for meetings and conferences! Did you take your Carver Amazing Loudspeakers there?

TNRabbit's system with the "Carver Amazing" loudspeakers really is amazing in how it fills his listening room with spacious music sound. Gave me real pause.

You should think about coming up for the Strathmore Klipsch fest. MD-VA-DC Strathmore Tchaikovsky 4th Klipschfest, Saturday, April 25...

Larry

Sorry, Larry; I was reading through this and realized I never answered you. Pics from above were my Amazing Loudspeakers (III model):

TNRabbits system at CF 08

Sames sytem at home (without Bob's Monoblocks, damnit!):

7986462%5D%5Bimg%5D10415530370.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Rabbit - I would like to be put on the list for notification of the next Carverfest - if it is possible? I would love to go to one of these get togethers!

Bruce

It's already scheduled for this September in the same location. I don't recall the dates of the top of my head, but go to www.carveraudio.com and click on the forums link then CarverFest '09. I'd link it but the site is down right now being transferred to a new server.