Guess How Many Tubes in the Box and Win....

thebes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seti, I'd be happy to send you a bunch of 12Au6's but not 6922's. I have various 6DJ8's with GaryMd for his purusal and once he's done I can send that batch to you to play with.

I wanna vacation!

Very cool : ) Thanks for the opportunity to try some 12au7 6dj8 tubes. I just have some crappy chinese tubes.

!!You rock!!

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner! It's

mungkiman

He's within a dozen of the actual number of 941. Sorry to have delayed this announcement but I was on vacation and my alternate judge who was supposed to have diligently monitoring this contest must have gotten gotten drunk and fallen asleep for a week.

Mungkiman, PM or email me your address and size and I'll send along whatever I have here that might fit. You'll have to be patient though cause I'll be traveling for a few days.

My many thanks for all of you who played along and had some fun.

Bes,

What I really want to know is where you came accross so many tubes? Do you go to a lot of ham fests? Or do you grow them in your basement with the "other stuff".

Unfortunately, my basement now has so much gear I must import my "other stuff" from Washington State.

This was really only my second tube score. One associated with purchasing a turntable, when I was smart enough to ask if the fellow had any old vacuum tubes lying around. This one was off of Craigslist. I sent a routine email reply to the add fully expecting that the local ebay sharks had gotten there before me. 3 days later I get a call from the lady, drive for an hour with no great expectations and there's this honkin big box of tubes. They were collected by her husband, ex military engineer type, who as it happens was killed on 911 while working the civilian side in the Pentagon,

Says she had already thrown a ton of his old electronic stuff away when a friend pointed out that somebody might want those old tubes so she ran the add. The purchase fee was modest, I gave her a bit more than she asked and she understood that I was a hobbyist not some peddler/shark . I had no idea when I laid out my cash there were more than handful of usable tubes in the box.

These will slowly be parceled out to fellow enthusiasts at little or no cost to the recipients as a sort of acknowledgment of his sacrifice.

Thanks Thebes,

It was a lot of fun! (Even though I didn't win!)

And the story of how you aquired the tubes was the iceing on the cake. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Dennie....who is off to BUY a his first Klipsch T-Shirt! [:o]

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner! It's

mungkiman

He's within a dozen of the actual number of 941. Sorry to have delayed this announcement but I was on vacation and my alternate judge who was supposed to have diligently monitoring this contest must have gotten gotten drunk and fallen asleep for a week.

Mungkiman, PM or email me your address and size and I'll send along whatever I have here that might fit. You'll have to be patient though cause I'll be traveling for a few days.

My many thanks for all of you who played along and had some fun.

Thebes,

Don't I owe you a T-shirt for correctly guessing that I was in Saudi Arabia, last May? Perhaps the runner-up, in this contest, is more deserving than I am.

Chris

Actually, I do believe it was an oil well you owe me. Ya know every day I open up my mail box and say to myself "this is the day", but nope no oil well, only a missive from a bankrupt Ed McMahon.

Very generous of you, but I'm leaving town and will figure out who the runner up is when I return and send them my extra special t-shirt, purportedly signed in blood by PWK himself while under the influence in a bordello in New Orleans. Or at the very least a regular t-shirt.

Thank you.

Thebes,

Don't I owe you a T-shirt for correctly guessing that I was in Saudi Arabia, last May? Perhaps the runner-up, in this contest, is more deserving than I am.

That was a fascinating thread Munkingman. So now you're even.

If we're even, it sounds like no one gets a shirt...

If we're even, it sounds like no one gets a shirt...

Unless he follows through on the runner up.... if that's me, make it XXL

After a careful review of all entries you are the winner. Send me your address and I'll send you the biggest thing I have.

Went
back through these today and picked up about a dozen more keepers.
There's an old radio and hamfest combo meet near here this weekend.
I'll set up shop for an hour or two to peddle the ham and radio tubes,
sell what I can ,and then give the rest away or donate them to the
organizing body

Yes. This was a fun contest.

Sometimes being the runner up works out pretty well.... (well, I might have had the highest number of guesses....)

I am now the proud owner of a light heather grey PWK The Life... The Legend embroidered long sleeve tee shirt.

Yes, that's right, embroidered - not just a silk screen image but sewn on in red and black thread. Quite spiffy. I shall wear it with pride, on special occasions of course.

And delivered quit quickly by Priority Mail from the House of Thebes. In a box labeled KEEP DRY - KEEP FROM FREEZING.

Picture attached.

Thanks Marty! [:D] [Y]

post-26727-13819418987712_thumb.jpg

Sorry to have delayed this announcement but I was on vacation and my alternate judge who was supposed to have diligently monitoring this contest must have gotten gotten drunk and fallen asleep for a week.

I apologize for getting drunk, falling asleep for a week and shirking my responsibilities as alternate judge. Its been rough for us bankers these days!

Congrats to the winner!!