F-3's Bi-Amped impedence?

RoadconeTuning

ok, im going to bi-amp my F-3's and see how that works BUT i cant seem to find anywhere that shows the impedence of the two seperate terminals... i am about to assume that they are 4ohms each since its an 8 ohm nominal speaker but theres two 8" woofers on one and then the compression driver the other and i have no freaking clue as to what the impedence on compression drivers is... the 15's in a set of 4-ways i had were 3.2ohm so im flying blind here...

One advantage of polyamplification is that driver impedance is less critical than with passive crossovers. All that is necessary with a bi-amped system is that the power amps be capable of driving the loudspeaker load to which it is connected. All of the crossover functions are done at line level before the amps therefore loudspeaker impedance won't affect the crossover frequencies or slopes. Most amps can drive 4 ohm loads OK so you should be fine bi-amping your F-3s. Ought to sound good, let us know how it comes out.

The speaker is bi-amp split between frequency ranges. This has nothing to do with impedence math so 8+8 not = 4.

Call each section 8 ohms nominal, with the bass probably reaching down to 6 or so at some point.

You wouldn't want to be hooking up any other speakers to the amp/receiver if you are biamping the mains anywho.

the reason im asking is my onkyo 805 is 7.1 and turns into 5.1 if you bi-amp the mains well it also has a option in the menus for 4ohm or 6ohms and in the instructions it says if its 6ohms or higher to set it on that.. but if 4ohms to set it to 4ohms... i dont see why i twould make a difference unless they dropped a resistor across to bump up the impedence but seems like that would just be a huge waste of energy.

right now i only have F-3's hooked up with a Sub-12 so i guess its fine.

• 3 weeks later...

what you are doing is fools biamping. Remember there is an internal crossover. The two connectors are meant for bi-wiring which is the belief that it will improve the sound. By biamping with the crossover, you will effectively send both power to the crossover protentially damaging it with mismatch. To do proper biamping you need to remove the crossover.