KP600 and MCM rebuilds

colterphoto1

Hi again gang, time for another edition of Pro corner. I'd started this thread somewhere else but thought I'd move it here so more of the Klipsch Commercial Audio is documented in one area. This weekend's projects is to get more work done on the KP600 system (that was inventoried during the Pilgrimage and appears on that thread), and to work on the set of MCM stacks that I'm keeping.

Now that I've sold off one set of MCM's, it's possible to at least
move around the garage a bit. I'm digging out the KP600's today in
order to put new diaphragms in all the K76 motors (K77 without their
horn, run in duo into manifolded horn), and pulling any K45/K1545 in
order to swap a to a guy who has some of the original K46's.

While
I'm at it, I got the woofer door bolts for the MWM-S-BG cabinets
finally, so I'll be buttoning the last of those 4 bins, repainting and
regasketing the MSSM K41 access doors, functionally checking the work I
did on the MTM tweet boxes the other day. All that will be left will be
to test all K55 drivers and replace diaphragms where they're out of
spec. Of course photos of today's work will follow.

hmm, think I'll plug in the KP301s while I'm working outside in 78 degree breezy weather.

I just love September! It's Speaker Season!

ok-NASTY- it smells funky, like dead animals or chemicals in some of these KP600 bins.
This system was stored in a dilapidated barn in FL. The spiderwebs and
layers of gunk are incredible. I'm disassembling each HF manifold,
soaking them and cleaning them up prior to freshening with paint. Start
from the inside out with these speakers. I think we hosed the Sub bins
out during the Pilgrimage while we had the 18" woofers removed.

This
is going to take some doing, but I would imagine it's somewhat like
restoring an old car, one itty bitty piece at a time. I actually had a
toothbrush out scrubbing the small manifold for the two K76 tweeter
units. I'll get em painted and with new diaphragms and that section
will be good as new. You wouldn't believe how complicated the network
is between the K60 drivers and the K76 motors. Two autoformers, four
inductors, etc....

Ok, back to it. And yes, I'm taking photos of
the entire nasty process. But these babies are going to gleam and sound
KILLER when I get through with them.

OK Mr Colter, I thought my project was done but now you have gotten my attention again with this KP 600 re-build...I finally took my system out for a shake down cruise for my son's band and I would like to say that they (the speakers) sounded awsommmmm. However, being the critical person that I am, I noticed about a 2 or 3db drop in the right stack (high cabinet) vs the left stack.....I am now working on this issue. I would like to ask you if you have the klipsch 4-way x-overs with your system. ( If you have gotten that far yet) or are you planning to use something else?? As I told you eariler, I thought this (KP600) system sounded good with half of the speakers blown. (I would really like to hear a set of MCM's). Anyway, If you do this right ( and I think you will) you will have yourself a very good system. I am glad you finally got around to these things as I am interested in what you do with the horn drivers and difference in the speakers...

PS: Pictures and notes on this project would be wonderful...

thanks

dpb

• 5 months later...

If you have the measuring gear, I would highly recommend going active with the KP600. If you want to keep your processing costs down, then you can run everything mono. The Crown XTi amplifiers would be another great way to actively bi-amp.

Joey B called me with this response.

Sometimes a K77 motor will be blown but you'll still have high end so you might check there.

Also the EC600 network has detents for all the outputs but not for the input pots. Joey says that sometimes these are not calibrated identically (somthing that was on the list to be fixed in later versions), so just adjust accordingly. In other words, the visual position of the input knob is not to be relied upon. Adjust so that the balance is similar between stacks.

Michael

Sorry gang, took a bit of breather between September (when this thread was started) and today (March 2009) to build Roadie's workshop. That process is detailed in the General Forum under

ROADIE'S

Here is the continuation of this thread, part one involves getting my personal stacks up and running, see details here

MCM1900

When it's time comes (I've actually been working on it little by little) I'll create a separate thread for the

KP600- thread not posted yet

For now you can see photos of the disassembly and inventory of the mightiest Klipsch PA stacks in the Pilgrimage section under

House of Klipsch / DA GANG.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Crown XTi amplifiers would be another great way to actively bi-amp.

Another bump... in hopes that some pictures are now available???

Here's another question for someone in the know...

The KP600 looks to me like it's a 4-way speaker?

If that is accurate, couldn't someone use a dedicated Dx38 per stack with the 4 outputs each feeding a single amplifier channel? (two Crown K2's?)

If that would work, how do you know all the dsp tweaks that might need to be used? I've seen the crossover numbers, are there not some dsp adjustments that would be needed in addition to the crossover info?

I hate it when I get intrigued on something...... usually gets me into trouble.

Hi Richard,

A less expensive way than a rack of DX38 would be with Crown XTi. All the DSP is on the amp.

ProAudioMart.com (414-362-9701, talk to Steve) offers "B" units for very friendly prices. They come with full 3-year factory warranty and look like new.

XTi-1000 - $350 shipped

XTi-2000 - $475 shipped

I have purchased several amps from Steve and the service/deal was great.

The Crown XTi amplifiers would be another great way to actively bi-amp.

Another bump... in hopes that some pictures are now available???

Here's another question for someone in the know...

The KP600 looks to me like it's a 4-way speaker?

If that is accurate, couldn't someone use a dedicated Dx38 per stack with the 4 outputs each feeding a single amplifier channel? (two Crown K2's?)

If that would work, how do you know all the dsp tweaks that might need to be used? I've seen the crossover numbers, are there not some dsp adjustments that would be needed in addition to the crossover info?

I hate it when I get intrigued on something...... usually gets me into trouble.

Richard,

The KP-600 stacks are a 5-way speaker design, and depending on the configuration have either 8 or 9 driver per stack.

Roger

4 way active, 5 way including the passive network in the HF section

dual 18 subs

dual 15 LF

single 10" mid bass

horns which are dual K60 manifolded into horn, and dual K78 motors manifolded into another horn. There is a built in passive that splits the HF at 10kHz.

Most of the guys that have heard the KP-600's just RAVE about their clean and robust sound.......5-way system........yet, a few of the 2-way, PEQ's Jubilee folks have wondered how my 4-way stack can sound so good.......hmmmmmm.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...