Audiogon fee hike

kev313

I'm not sure how they will implement and enforce this. Put up an ad for $4 and then your item 'doesn't sell' - You just happen to make a deal offline.

I was wondering about that. If the buyer wants to save 100 bucks on a 10K purchase, all he needs to do is wait until the ad expires and buy the item.

Unless "if and when" means at any time as a result of an audiogon contact. Maybe the feedback channel is the check and balance.

I think we will see a lot more phone numbers in audiogon ads.

I think I got rooked. About 3 weeks ago I sold a cartridge on Audiogon for $400. I was charged an $11 fee but can't for the life of me figure out how they came up with that figure. I got my asking price on day 1 and the buyer paid the paypal fees so I'm not too upset about it. I just can't figure out where the $11 came from.

I'm ready to join HiFi Jim's future website. He just needs to get the Japanese buyers on board so I can keep selling records.

I remember when Audiogon used to be free. Back then, Audiogon, Audioshopper, and AudioReview were the three sites I used and bought a lot of gear from all three sources (even sold some stuff!). Eventually, Audiogon seemed to take over and the other two slowly died down. I'm guessing that happened because Audiogon had a feedback system so it was probably a safer place to make expensive transactions. Then Audiogon started charging for the ads slowly raising the fees over time and now it has come to this. Too bad, I really like Audiogon and felt comfortable making purchases. I wonder if this will become the end of the line for them as a result. Don't they realize people buying and selling used gear are cheapskates? [:)]

Audiogon is not the safest place to shop/sell anymore, it has slowly gone down the shi!!er. A couple of months ago I got screwed over by a seller and felt the seller deserved negative feedback, now I take neg feedback very serious so I contacted Agon and described the situation and asked if under the existing rules if I was justified in leaving neg feedback. Agon's reply was yes you could leave neg feedback, they went so far as to take a jab at the seller. I submitted the neg feedback and guess what, the feedback was never added to this seller's feedback profile.

How long will it take for Agon to raise the rates to 1.5%, then 2%. All you can do is put up with the rate hikes or quit using them to sell audio equipment. I'm going to try the latter and use the free sites. Even though I have used Agon for years and have a sentimental attachment, I say screw them and hope someone will take advantage of the opportunity and open an alternative site and put the greedy bastards out of business, ah I miss the good old days of Audiomart. BTW isn't Agon owned and operated by Stereophile?

Phill

That stinks about the deal. I have several deals with no feedback because the buyer or seller couldn't take the time to leave it. In their defense it is hard to find the member to leave feedback (unliek ebay where it is easy) and the other parties are lazy. But not being able to leave negative feedback is bad.

Is Audiogon realy owned by Stereophile? Is this true, can you verify?

... The rate hike is too much for a "classifieds" site, but what other factors don't you like?

I think any seller should read Audiogon's shipping policy very carefully before deciding to sell on Audiogon. I decided not to use Audiogon anymore long before the fee hike.

Kudret

That is scary, but try to enforce it. Useless without any teeth.