Speaker Break In

HiStep

Hi,

From time to time I see someone comment about "breaking in new speakers"

I was never aware that speakers needed to be "broken in". How do you do this, and how long does it take?

I have 2 new F-3's and a new C-3 center. I just hooked them up and started playing them. What SHOULD I be doing ? I don't abuse them or play them overly loud. Although,once in awhile, if the neighbors aren't home I like to crank up the "1812" or CCR.

I reallize that some of the long time Klipsch guys kind of "POO POO" the Synergy line, but they sound great too me and are the best speakers that I have had yet.

THANKS,

I am not sure how much the sound will change after "break in" as I have only bought used speakers (heratage line) but it does seem valid to me that a mechanical device will change with use from a "new" condition. In a speaker, it is the cones and surounds that it is said will loosen up thus changing the way the speaker sounds. Most would agree that after about 100 hours or so, all the breaking in that is going to happen has happened. Just play the speakers normaly and all will be well.

As to the Synergy line, I have the dreaded "plastic cone" series of the Synergy speakers in my TV room. They do sound good indeed, movies and TV viewing is MUCH improved, but when we listened to music on them just after listening to the same LP on my Cornwalls (not a fair test by any means!) the Synergys suffered from a muffled and more distorted mid range when the Cornwalls were clean and crisp. Of course you would expec SOME difference between a $1500 set of 5 speakers and a pair of Cornwalls that listed out at about $5000 a pair when new!

I don't recall the specifics but memory tells me that when Klipsch "breaks in" a driver, they run a certain amount of power through it for maybe 20 minutes and then consider it done. (it might be a fair amount of power ...I don't recall how much)

Bigger point being...those that say you need 100 hours of break in.... well.... perhaps that's [bs] ??

Hi Cal,

Nice to hear from you again, thanks for your input. You mention your Cornwalls. People are always referring to their various speakers by name or model number.If it is not listed in Klipsch's current products, I have no clue as to what it is.

I realize that during the past 60 years, Klipsch has manufactured some pretty exotic stuff. Is there a link on their site so I can see a picture of some of these Items?

thanks

If you look for "View Discontinued Products" on the Klipsch website, you'll be able to see the older models. Quite a few of the original Heritage line have been updated, so now there are La Scala IIs, Heresy IIIs and Cornwall IIIs. While I've heard no reviews of the Cornwall IIIs, the La Scala IIs and Heresy IIIs are a real improvement over the already good earlier models.

• Moderators

I believe in break in, but not drastic changes in sound. If it were my new speakers I would just use them as normal without too much on the extreme volumes, and if you hear a difference fine.

I wouldn't worry about having Synergys, they are really good for the price, I know I had some for a couple of years and they beat anything in their price range.

• 2 weeks later...