ROCKY MOUNTAIN AUDIO SHOW

Gilbert

Been off the air for sometime, mostly because of work, with a bit fun squeezed in where possible. While in Denver over the long weekend, I visited the Rock Mountain Audio show. Klipsch obviously wasn't there, or I'd a razzed someone.

Long story short, these guys had of the best sounding room / speakers / equipment. Their setup was simple, without any fancy bloated bling bling cables, dampening fixtures, or anything. It was a straight forward common hotel room w/o any furniture. Unfortunately, the speakers are so damn ugly (uglier than even Jubilies, sorry klipsch, but that's my opinion), that it would have made me gag (before I heard them) to even consider them in my home. The pair cost $16,000. The only other rooms that came close, contained gear that was priced into the stratosphere. By that, I mean figures like $100,000++++

This was my first ever TRUE audio show. Spent 2 days listening to as much gear as possible. But still can't believe the sound from those Evanui Signature speakers. WOW!!

I will go to RMAF one of these years. Did you take pics of the "ugly"?

Here's a pic of the ugly beast....... But OMFG they sounded so beautiful. Forgot to mention that they are horn loaded, and the amps that drove them were tubed (KT88); a pair of 35 watt mono's if I remember correctly.

The speakers are made in Japan, and their representative was so very nice, but his Eeengrish was pretty damm shitty. When they fired their speakers up, people standing around the hall were drawn-in. It was a great show, with over 400 venders. Far too many to sample honestly, but I still got most of them in, I think. I tried to spend at least 3 to 5 songs at my favorite rooms, but even so, there were some I just couldn't see. But I did check out Krell, McIntosh, Levinson, Bryston, and many many more.

It was a very eye opening and educational experience.

post-12381-13819418730176_thumb.jpg

I'd really like to make that show someday!

I looked over the reports on Stereophile's website and I gotta say I came away just thinking how crazy over-the-top "high end" prices are. All the $20000 and up speakers...PLEASE! Makes good ol' Klipsch Heritage look like screaming bargains.

My Dad and I have contemplated going to the RMAF... Mostly because my Dad is friends with Thom Mackris of Galibier Turntables; Thom lives out in Colarado and talks about how much fun that shows is, he was likely there demoing with his TT's. Anyway I'm sure it was a heck of an experience...even if the stuff is priced half way to the moon it's still fun to see and hear.

And jdm56 makes an astute observation, in that the heritage product is indeed a great value for the money! Don't forget you can buy that stuff on the website now.