Modifying Cerwin Vega RE series speakers to Klipsch.

superedge88

I don't know if this is a really stupid idea, but the thought crossed my mind so I thought I would throw this idea to the experts. I have Cerwin Vega RE 30 speakers

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.audioreview.com/channels/audioreview/images/products/product_120897.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/cerwin-vega/floorstanding-speakers/MPL_175_1594CRX.ASPX&h=175&w=175&sz=4&hl=en&start=4&um=1&usg=__D2_E7OFk32CL7FUXZYzUixWpxQ4=&tbnid=Z8sUyiLvt2nnhM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCerwin%2BVega%2BRE%2B30%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

The first thing that seems lacking is the tweeter, would it be worth it for me to replace the tweeter with a klipsch horn tweeter? Would I need to change out the speaker's crossover if I did this?

If I wanted to change out all the drivers to klipsh, what would get me the great efficient klipsch sound without breaking the bank? Would it be best to seal the main woofer from the rest of the drivers and seal the ports to get more accurate sound?

Should I just go fly a kite and leave well enough alone?

I just picked up some CV PA speakers for a project and as far as the tweeter goes, yes. You would need to update/replace the tweeter crossover if you use a new tweeter, or at least I would to get the most out of them. The wrong crossover can ruin the way a tweeter sounds as well as possibly damage it if the crossover point is too low. I'm not sure about the woofers. Changing the tweeters makes sense, but the woofers not so much. The CV box is sized and tuned to the driver that is loaded in it and putting in a different woofer(s) again would not sound right and has a high chance of sounding pretty bad. If it were me, I would definitely replace the tweeters though. It would be well worth it until you can upgrade to some better speakers overall. Look around partsexpress.com for tweeters and crossover help. Their tech support is great and the more knowledgable members of this forum would probably be glad to help too. Good luck!

Don't both with them. Tripping over dollar bills grasping at pennies. To integrate a change properly you will need quite a bit of expertise and the midrange will still stink and the bass will still be flabby. To change all of the drivers and crossover and cabinets mods you will have some money into these.

You can find some Forte's, Chorous or Quartets for a good price and just sell the Cerwin Vegas.

It is true, you're better off buying some used Klipsch or Infinity, something like that rather than keeping the CVs, unless you're really attached to them. I picked up some great condition (new foam, no dings, etc etc) Infinity RS5bs for 100 bucks. The key is to search diligently and jump when you see a good opportunity. I only have my CVs because I bought them with full intentions of modding them as a fun project....

sounds like I will just keep beating up the CVs, they have served me well for years, and I may as well just keep driving them into the ground. The CVs will be a good boomy rec room speaker set, I'll keep the high end stuff for the home theaters. Thanks for the guidance guys!

I bought some big Cerwin Vega LS 15 speakers off Craigslist some time ago. I had a spare set of these bullet tweeters. For kicks I took out the CV tweeters and put the bullet super tweeters in. They're in for good now. I did no crossover change. I just had to change one wire terminal connector, a little cabinet refitting work, unsolder the supplied capacitors off the bullet tweeters, unplugged the CV tweeters and plugged in the bullets. The sound difference is huge. Gave new life to the CV speakers. The sound is balanced too. My smart audio friend says you can't just do stuff like that and get good results, but admitted it worked well in this case. CV has used bullet tweeters like these before.

I originally used some of these bullet tweeters in a set of monitors I built for kicks. The woofers are wired direct full range with no crossover to them and the bullet tweeters with their supplied capacitors for the highs. The monitors sound amazing! I tried other tweeters for the monitors, but the bullets sounded shockingly best.

I could see how the tweeter in yours could lack. You could try something like I did and have good results. I've messed with speakers for many years and have come up with some that sounded good without worrying about matching all the numbers up. Click on direct link below for tweeters.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-102

post-18842-1381941873823_thumb.jpg

Here's my subwoofer I built three or more years ago. Parts Express Titanic 12". Rear ported. The subwoofer's amplifier is in the cabinet on floor behind right monitor's stand. I built the monitors to match the already built subwoofer. Nothing fancy, but they were all fun to build and they sound good.

post-18842-1381941874554_thumb.jpg

I have a pair of these C.V. RE-30's and I love em. Though I like to have a variety of speakers around to change in between them. I used to use those C.V.'s for D.Jing when I was starting out, and got loads of compliments on my sound quality, they do have a smoother sound than most stand alone PA speakers. IMO

• 1 year later...

Hi, that is a great looking sub! what are the box dimensions / port diameter and length? Did you stuff it with insulation or anything? Do you know what it is tuned to or did you guess? I want to make one of these. I think the ported enclosure is way better than the sealed. I might build a pair of these subs when I get back to the states in a couple weeks. I build a ported Dayton 15MKiii also to see how different they perform. The Parts Express site will not show me the recommended port diameter, cubic volume or anything for this project. You use the round tube port(s)? any help is greatly appreciated.
If anyone out there has built a Dayton Titianic 12 or 15 inch ported sub or passive radiator sub for home use, let me know how you set it up and how it peerforms. Has anyone built a home sub using the Earthquake Magma 15 and SLAPS passive radiator? Earthquake's Supernova series is amazing, but it's also almost 3 grand. I know my mono amps are better than the plate amp that comes with the unit. I can build that sub (minus the plate amp) for about 600 and tweak the output with my Velodyne SMS1 crossover. anyone know if they use the same Magma driver / SLAPS radiator in the Supernova powered subs as the ones for sale as car sub/radiators?

My e-mail is warren.hagan@afghan.swa.army.mil.

thanks-

• 1 year later...

Some Cerwin Vega speakers are incredibly good, and will drop your jaw if you give them a chance. The Cerwin Vega VS 150 has a very musical midrange, and an almost soft high end. The harder to find Cerwin Vega RE 38 uses the same midrange and woofer of the VS 150, but with a greatly upgraded tweeter.

These Cerwin Vega Speakers are very efficient, and tuned very low in the bass. They will flat out rock, and sound great doing it.

They have a warm, musical tonal balance that will surprise the heck out of many who think all Cerwin Vega Speakers suck.

I agree...

If memory serves me correctly... Radio Shack contracted "Cerwin Vega" to produce the "Optimus" line of speakers for them in the 70's and early 80's. They were outstanding speakers...