Heresy rebuilds

we_doyle

Can one use Heresy II midranges in a set of Heresy I's? Would they be compatable? What would they do to (or for) the sound?

I do not think it would be that hard to make a plate if necessary to allow the Heresy II midranges to be mounted in the Heresy I cabinets, should that be necessary. I know that the Heresy I's mount from the rear and the Heresy II's mount from the front. My question concerns the effect on the sound that would result.

Any insight or experience out there?

Bill Doyle

Guest David H

I believe that they are both 700hz horns, therefore the only change that may need to be made would be in the X-over depending on the which motor is used.

I also think that horn can be rear mounted like the original without issue.

You can use the K-53/701 (plastic horn) on a H-I. During the early 80's, Klipsch stopped using the K-55/700 and started using the 53/701 horn in the H-I's. But... they also started using the K-24 woofer. What they did was change the crossover from a type E to a type E2. They did however, leave the K-77 tweeter. Both the K-24 and the 701 bolt directly to the rear of the motor board. Screw pattern is different for the 701. This continued until about 1985 when the H-I was discontinued and the H-II appeared. In that case the K-24, K53/701 were used and the K76 tweeter. All were bolted to the fronts in a recess the size of the flange.

The K-24 and K-22 woofers are pretty much interchangeable without resorting to the crossover change. If you use the 53/701 midrange, however, you will probably need to use the E2 crossover.

Hope that is of some assistance.