Anyone ever seen THIS before?

darkside

Ok, this might be in the wrong section of the wrong forum, but I couldn't keep this to myself. I just bought some Cerwin Vega PA speakers as a project and when I got them they smelled terrible. I asked how about to clean them and went at it. Colter calls carpeted speakers like them "rat fur" speakers. I would have never thought how literal that would be! Check this out...

post-20833-13819418800908_thumb.jpg

I had a mouse crawl down the speaker wire (wall mounted system), crawl in the port, and eat the tinsel leads off the woofer.

After lowering the speaker to the floor (from about 15' up), and removing the back, the mouse jumped out.

The chicken wire covering the port was replaced with 1/4" hardware cloth.

I had a mouse crawl down the speaker wire (wall mounted system), crawl in the port, and eat the tinsel leads off the woofer.

After lowering the speaker to the floor (from about 15' up), and removing the back, the mouse jumped out.

The chicken wire covering the port was replaced with 1/4" hardware cloth.

djk,

Back when I studdied pest control, they taught us that because of the flexibility of their skeleten, a mouse can squeeze itself through any hole you can put a number 2 pencil through, so your 1/4" screen may be marginal. Further, since a mouse has already been in that speaker, please read my post below to see how others will follow.

Roger

Ok, this might be in the wrong section of the wrong forum, but I couldn't keep this to myself. I just bought some Cerwin Vega PA speakers as a project and when I got them they smelled terrible. I asked how about to clean them and went at it. Colter calls carpeted speakers like them "rat fur" speakers. I would have never thought how literal that would be! Check this out...

Darkside,

The reason these speakers smelled so terrible, is that mice have no bladders like we humans do. As the uriters from the kidneys excrete urine continually as the kidneys clean these wastes from the animals blood, it continually runs out and down the legs of the mice. Any place the mouse spends much time, like it's nest, or a regular feeding spot will reak of a higher concentration of this urine. Mice have very poor eyesight, and find their way into your house by comming in proximity of your house and running across urine trails from previous mice and following the scent. This is why a speaker that has had a previous mouse visit, is much more likely to be visited by future mice.

Roger

The spacing of the wire on 1/4" hardware cloth is 1/4", but the openings are smaller by the wire diameter plus the galvanizing dip.

Never had a problem after that.

I've had mice crawl into Thorens turntables and eat all the wiring, the openings don't seem big enough (but they must be).

if you keep your house clean then you shouldnt have a mice problem... ive never seen anything more than a random roach or two in a house ever... but now you've got me worried about my F-3's since they've got a 6" tall by 3" wide port at the bottom lol

The above is the obvious post of a CITY BOY, and has no basis in fact!!

When you live in the country, and the crops all arround your house come off of the fields, the mice start coming in for the winter. It has nothing to do with cleanliness, and with 19 years at this location, I have NEVER, EVER, seen a cockroach!!!

Roger

They may come back? Really? I hope not. I cleaned everything as well as I could, but would it be wise to cover the port anyways? You've got me worried now since I keep them in the weight room in our basement....

Darkside,

On comming back, my comment was more towards djk as mice had alread crawled down that speaker wire, leaving a urine trail for future mice to follow to the same exact spot. They can smell things that we cannot, but if mice get into your house in the future and they smell even a small amount of urine that we are not capable of, they will investigate those speakers. If you do get mice in your house from time to time, I would considder sealing the speakers inside and out with polyurethane or similar, as if they smell the urine and want in baddly enough, they may gnaw their way in if they can't get in because of a screen.

Roger

Hmm, not sure how I would seal the outside of the speakers. They're carpeted and all, but the inside, yeah. That might be a good idea anyways.

Forgot about the rat fur ;) Still, might not hurt to at least seal any smell that might come from inside.

Roger

WOULD SOMEONE GET THIS GUY A SUBWOOFER!!!!