Sansui AU-111 6L6GC = Yummy!

fenderbender

Well after about a year of searching and four months waiting for the overhaul....I finally have my rarest of tube beasts in my greedy little hands!!! The Sansui AU-111...

Standard cleaning and replacing of the 38+ year old Caps...kept everything original, no mods....and went with a full complement of new JJ's to give me a base line and I'll roll some NOS tubes in later on.....

1st Impressions: the tubes have less 20 hours on them ...they were burnt in over night and I've been playing for a few hours......Bass response is very very tight! I was afraid it may get a little sloppy but it's quick and punchy.......I couldn't believe how good heresys could sound Before i swapped in the Klipschorns.

The amp is dead quite...(but i have a grounding issue I need to chase down that developed as I started adding sources) The mids and the highs are reasonably transparent and not overly warm.......I find that it does take the "edge off" some harshness that I had experienced.....most noticeably in several of Miles Davis "Presige" recordings when his trumpet is muted, the Harmonics create a "bite' that when cranked can get fatiguing.......The Au-111 has tamed this issue......I know it's coloring the source but 55 year old recordings weren't always the best...especially when you lay down 4 complete albums in just two sessions ....

For Hard bop / Modal Era Jazz, classic rock, vocals...this puppy really excels......I still love me some SS gear, but it's nice to have this in my arsenal when I'm in the mood for Coltrane!!!

More later, I'm beat.....

The Sansui AU-111 is a very dangerous amplifier... Trust me on this!!! You should not have that device in your home!! You will never get any sleep, what with the endless "lemme' see what this LP sounds like", and don't forget the drooling and dementia that will set in as you park yourself for hours on end in front on the K'horns, etc. The list is endless!! Don't despair... There is hope.... Bring it to me and I'll start you back on the meds... [6]

And don't forget the Sam Adams when you are on the way!!! [:D][;)]

• 11 years later...