Yamaha Receiver

Youthman

That is just totally insane. You see your wife did you a favour in the end.

You are like the second luckiest person I know.

Congrats and enjoy.

remember - let us know how the yammy compares with the onkyo, i am very interested to know.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great steal, Youthman, I mean find. Patience (and listening to wife) paid off. I see you are planning on buying a pair of RS-52's. Last week Vann's had them in cherry for $249.99 each. I just ordered an RSW10d($499.99) in cherry from them to arrive on Tuesday. I am psyched. Couldn't decide which I needed more, the surrounds or the sub. I chose the sub because my RW-10d just couldn't hang with the RF-63's.

As you can see I am an Onkyo fan but also love the Yamaha. You will probably like the sound better with the Yammy.

Bill

• Moderators

I will definitely post my thoughts on how the Yammie compares to the Onkyo. I have owned two Onkyo's (TX-DS555 and the TX-SR703). This is my first Yamaha so I'm pretty stoked. Thx for the head's up willand. I have a good source for Klipsch speakers. I'll have to see how they compare to Vann's pricing.

Unbelievable deal there! I have not ever even come close to a deal like that in my life.

GOOD JOB

I am sure you will like the Yamaha just fine...those higher end ones are extremely NICE. I have always been a Yamaha fan... [:D][Y]

& always will be.

Take care & have fun.

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog)

I've got a yamaha 1800 that I got as a replacement for my 1700 that wasn't cooperating with HDMI. The 1800 is pretty nice and the 2 extra HDMI are more than welcome compared to the 1700. Even though it has a better video scalar I really can't tell a diff when its on and scaling SD cable to 720p for my tv or when my tv does it itself. The sound is pretty nice though, when I bought the 1700 initially I compared to denon and I found I liked the yamaha a little better. The denon seemed to make the klipsch just a touch brighter, while the yamaha seemed a little smoother and more balanced. When the 1700 was in the shop I had a lower end yamaha as a loaner, it didn't sound nearly as good as the 1700/1800 does. I'm sure the better DAC's and amp in this model was making the difference.

One thing I HATE about it though is the small volume numbers on the front screen. Even though technically you can just turn it up loud enough for the situation sometimes its tough to do like when the wife goes to bed and I need to turn it down to a certain point. Supposedly you can change it with some software and a serial cable from a pc but sadly both my wife's lappy and my desktop both don't have a serial port. Serial ports haven't been used much on the consumer pc landscape for 5+ years but yamaha still tacks them onto their receiver models :(

Good luck with yours, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It would be really tough for me to NOT enjoy something I got for about 35% of MSRP! :)

• Moderators

One thing I HATE about it though is the small volume numbers on the front screen. Even though technically you can just turn it up loud enough for the situation sometimes its tough to do like when the wife goes to bed and I need to turn it down to a certain point.

Doesn't the volume show up on your TV via OSD (On Screen Display)? I believe I did read that it does not work via HDMI though. Not sure if there is a way around that. I have not setup my first Projection system using HDMI yet. I'm working on it now.

• Moderators

remember - let us know how the yammy compares with the onkyo, i am very interested to know.

I just spent about an hour listening to 2ch music as well as 3.1 HT (haven't purchased my rears yet).

Musically, the Yamaha 1800 beats the Onkyo hands down. Clarity, depth, richness, separation of musical instruments. The separation is what I missed with the Onkyo compared to my previous HK AVR55. Sarah McLaughlin sounded absolutely amazing in "Angel" and "Remember You". Piano sounds natural, vocals are angelic.

In the area of HT, again, I only have a 3.1 system but the Yamaha delivered with power and clarity. I lent out my Transformers DVD so I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Incredibles sounded...well...incredible. Some fantastic scenes there. Blue Man Group 5.1 mix was jammin. Live DVD's (Toby Mac, Norah Jones & Jeremy Camp) were fantastic to listen to and watch. I had to borrow my son's 17" LCD that he has his PS2 hooked up to. :) Sad I know. Far from my future 110" to 120" projection.

I'm far from an audiophile (as if you could not tell from my descriptive words).

Still a lot I haven't figured out on the Yammie. I don't even see the xover settings or where you tell it Small or Large for speakers. I just see EQ settings for different frequencies. One day, I'll bust out the manual and actually read through some of it. The Onkyo has a simpler menu setup and seemed like you could tweek more things (unless there are some menu settings that I have not found). Again, reading the manual would probably help there.

Yammie comes with two remotes...what's the second one for? LOL. Maybe it's just a simplified remote with basic functions. Ok...ok...I'll read the manual this weekend. [:P]

Yammie has 4 HDMI inputs and the new HD Audio codecs which is fantastic, the Onkyo had neither. I'm sure it is not fair to put a mid priced Onkyo against a higher end Yamaha. For the price difference, the Yamaha should have more and sound better...and it does.

I'm totally satisfied so far with the Yamaha. Can't wait to have a full 7.1 system with a dedicated amp to really see it's potential.

Menu/General is where you set speakers Large/Small and the crossover settings, it asks for each speaker position and if its on or not. You will NOT be using presence speakers (that's Yammie's proprietary front 'surrounds') and be careful to use the correct surround speaker settings for side or rear and to plug your speakers into the corresponding jacks in the back.If you're 3.1 and tell the receiver so (by saying NONE to all the surround speakers), it'll reroute surround info back up front so those sound effects will not be lost.

Menu/Sound is for more fine tuning. If you plug in the YPAO mic and run that setup, what I do is set the speaker sizes and crossover manually, then tell YPAO to do everything else but NOT to rerun speaker setup (sometime it guesses contra to what I want). This will be better than your Onkyo setup with Audissy because it does not allow you tot switch off a portion of the auto setup.

Yes, small remote is for zone 2. Pretty cool, eh?

• Moderators

Thx for the info guys. Does that mean I don't have to read the manual now? [:P]

I knew the Yamaha must have settings for size of speaker but somehow I must have missed it. I'll check today when I get home using the your suggestions Michael. The first thing I did was run the YPAO auto setup. It did a pretty good job. I then went into the EQ settings and adjusted it a bit.

Small remote for zone 2 is pretty cool but wouldn't you want that remote in another room where the music is playing? Wouldn't be able to do that with a IR remote. Guess they think it simplifies things.