Promedia 2.1 DIN cable repair

aninternetguy

I have a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system. The connector on the wire from the controller to the sub was broken at the subwoofer side, so my system did not work. I was able to fix it by disecting the din connector and figuring out the order of the wires and then resoldering it. For those of you with a similar problem and the desire to fix it yourself, this may be just the information you are looking for.

The wire colors on your system may be different, so I don't know if this will work for all of you wishing to fix your own cables. Here is how mine is wired looking at the din connector from the outside - like if the sub side of the connection was your eye. With the rectangular plastic pin at the bottom or 6 o'clock, going clockwise - BLACK at 7 o'clock; YELLOW at 9, RED at 11, BROWN at 1, ORANGE at 3, and GREEN at 5. The outside metal ring is soldered to the ground shielding of the cable.

If you are soldering the connector, then you are looking at the soldering points reversed. There is no plastic part on this side of the connector, but there is a space where there are no pins. With that part at 6 o'clock, then the order of the pins is reversed as follows... GREEN at 7 o'clock, ORANGE at 9, BROWN at 11, RED at 1, YELLOW at 3, and BLACK at 5.

Hope this helps, good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new to the forum...

I picked up a promedia 2.1 subwoofer only at a thrift store and want to use it to add bass to a small bedroom music system.

Can I cut a din cable and attach them to standard RCA cables? If so, what wires are Left, right, and common?

thanks...bill

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this information! I stupidly let my subwoofer fall off the bottom shelf of my desk and that ripped the metal shielding on the mini-DIN away from the cable. I googled for a replacement but Klispch seems to be out of stock. Then I stumbled upon your post and it saved the day. I was able to go down to my local Fry's and by a PS/2 extension cable. I cut the female connector off of the cable and stripped/prepped all the wires on the cable. A little time with a continuity checker allowed me to figure out what wires on my particular cable went to what pins on the male connector. I actually had the crimp on pins for the white connector in the control pod from another project. After an hour of crimping tiny pins and getting serious eye-strain I had 7 conductors ready to be plugged into the old white connector housing. I put everything back together and powered up. It worked!

I thought I'd give back so I'm posting a picture of a pinout I drew using the data from your original post:

Wiring Diagram

Also I'd like to let people know that they can buy the crimp connectors for the wires from Digi-Key. The part numbers for these and the 9-pin housing are:

455-1127-1-ND

455-1159-ND

Thanks again, and I hope this post helps anyone else who breaks their mini-DIN connector.

• 13 years later...