How to: New Grills, grill cloth, etc...

Groomlakearea51

79 So I take that piece with the creases, and mount it exactly the way I did the other piece of cloth; aligned on seams, etc. Now I take the hairdryer, and go back and forth over the crease area approximately 3" away, and at a rate of about 2" per second. Back and forth and up and down. Carefully, and it takes about 2-3 minutes. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before applying the grill board with the adhesive.

80 Next thing is to prep the corners for folding over and glueing to the back side edge of the boards.

Here's where I differ from the factory original.... As most will know, the factory cut the corners at 90 degree angles and folded the cloth over like "tabs". It's an option, but I don't like that method because it doubles up the thickness of the cloth at the corners and you can see this from the front of the grill when it's installed. There is a slight bowing in the center; not much, but it's there.

So... I cut them in this fashion. Notice that I cut the line approximately the same distance away from the corner as the thickness of the grill board.

82 This part is easy.... "paint" the back edge of the board where thye cloth will fold over, and the outer 1/2" of the cloth with contact cement. Let it sit for at least 15-20 minutes. Touch it after 15 minutes and your finger should stick to it, but not lift any glue.

Starting at the center of one side and working your way up and then back down, fold over the cloth. Fold it tight, as tight as you can fold it. When the cloth touches the board, the contact cement will "grab" and it will stick.....

When you get to a corner, press the 1/8" extra against the corner... More on this later.

87 Remember the thing about "plastic deformation"?.... 3 seconds at 2-3 inches will cause the corners to slightly shrink tight and literally "weld" themselves to the corners. That's why it's so important to be smarter than the tool you work with....

Hint.... Practice this a couple times with some scraps of cloth and a scrap piece of grill board before doing the actual board.

89 As likely as not you will want to make sure that the cloth is taut, but not too tight. This is an absolute necessity for Cornwall grills. Reason? They are huge!!! Lots'a real estate there. The weight alone will show a visible sag over the woofer hole. Lay a straight edge on it and you will see what I mean....

Using the hair dryer, at a rate of about 2-3" per second, 2-3" above the cloth, back and forth, minimum overlap, up and down. Just enough to make the cloth warm. It will also really settle into the adhesive due to this slight amount of heating.

Yessir. Tight as my grandpappy's wallet during the Great Depression.... Looking good.

Now for the velcro. I have seen the factory use circles, squares, rectangles, hook side on the motor board, pile side on the motor board, etc. I like the pile side on the motor board because when remove grills, I can clean off dust and lint in the "hooks" on the grill boards somewhat easier.

Proper configuration for Heresy-I's is seven (7) pieces. Lay on the hook pieces first.

Cornwalls..... I have seen between 12 pieces and up to 18 pieces of various configurations.

IMPORTANT - NEVER put the velcro on the cloth. If you do it will eventually pull the cloth loose as has happened to most of the old originals I've seen (and worked on....).

12 pieces is sufficient, in the configuration shown. You can put more, but it just makes the grill more difficult to remove from the motor board.

93 Installing emblems. On this pair of Heresy grills, I'll use the original "bar emblems to match the Klipschorns in my son's room.

First thing I do is clean off the emblems, especially the old glue on the back. many methods.... I use Gum-Out. Really works well and won't affect the clear lacquer on the front (unless you let it sit for about 5 minutes....)

99 For the Cornwalls, I place them approximately 1" in the corners, again using the tape to center and reference the alignment. There is no need to clamp the pies. In fact if you do, you will damage them. They are very thin stamped copper with an adhesive block inside. The adhesive is "gorilla snot" quality and simple and careful pressing the emblem in place is more than sufficient.