How to: New Grills, grill cloth, etc...

Groomlakearea51

Moving the grille to your most solid, CLEAN work surface (cover with
towel if unsure), lay the grille board face down. Placing a smooth wood block along each small section of grille fabric edge, smack the block with a medium weight hammer. This will set the fabric in the contact cement and insure a tight bond. Do same for
each of four edges.

Double check that no edges are standing up. This is your last chance to get this really flat, which is necessary for a good velcro fit.

post-10755-13819584782798_thumb.jpg

The dreaded Euro 1600 heat gun. Actually just a standard hair dryer, Marshall just likes that it has the name 'Euro' (as in "EuroTrash" music). You'll be passing this over the FACE of the finished grill board pretty quickly, from a 4-6" distance, in two different directions (parallel to the threads in the weave). This will tighten up the fabric by allowing it to relax once when it softens, then tighten up into it's finished position. The weave has a bit of elasticity and memory but you only get one or two tries at this before the fabric gets a memory.

post-10755-13819584824196_thumb.jpg

You'll want to move fast, about 3-4 counts per pass.Avoid the temptation to use a heat gun built for melting heat shrink tubing. Those types generate too much heat for the poly-olefin fabric.

Say it with me Poly-Olefin- that was fun, wasn't it?

post-10755-13819584834368_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the great detailed lessons Marshall. I know a bunch of guys got a lot out of that day. We also built shipping crates for the grille boards out of 1/2" plywood frames with luan sides that are a great fit for the grille boards. It's my understanding that the four we built that day all arrived safe and sound. I'm looking forward to using these techniques to at least re-fit a couple of my Heritage grilles. I also have a couple of CW boards with great fabric that got wet in storage and want to cut them down and make nice Heresy grilles out of them.

I think that's it for now. Look for other threads from the same weekend. Heresy with H II motorboard is under Updates and Modifications. I'll create another one of the guys at work/play and put it here on 2 channel as most of the guys in attendance were from this group.

I'm done if anyone has any comments or questions, have at it.

Note: I had a CNC shop re-cut all my templates from new MDF (very flat and won't warp), with additional 4" width on the edges to allow for a "riser" with rubber feet (vibration), a vacuum hose attachment (routers make more dust than a saw...), and multiple compression bolts to allow for really tight positioning of motor boards and grill blanks. Also allows me to use a router bit with top bearings or bottom bearings, and allow multiple grill boards to be cut at the same time. As soon as they are delivered and I assemble them, I will post the photos. Busy week.... Back to work!!!

• 1 year later...

Since I am in the final stages of finishing up new Heresy grills using this VERY well documented method I thought I'd bump it back to the to for those who might not have seen it.

May thanks to Groomlakearea51 for his efforts in creating this and to colterphoto1 for additional photos and commentary.

Works great!!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the bump, I re-read part of this thread. It's always a blast hanging with Marshal and documenting this well thought out procedure was a lot of fun. I've got a new saw and the need for some grille boards so might make a set of these myself and give it a try. My we certainly were thorough, weren't we? I haven't done that kind of documentation for quite a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...