Question about K-Horns

Connmar

Im very interested in purchasing a set of K-Horns and have seen several pair around...Ebay and Craigslist. I guess my main question is....have there been many cosmetic and internal component modifications made during the last 25-30 years in the K-Horns that would keep someone from purchasing older models?

Others know more than me....I'd venture to say that cosmetically, hardly any changes (save for maybe less 'exotic' wood finishes). they probably made some hardware changes (drivers & crossovers)...but then, you DID say over 25/30 years!

I'd say, try to find the PRETTIEST and most structurally sound pair you can/want to afford, then worry about the mechanics of them....you can always update the drivers but if the speaker itself is ugly (or stunning), then that is one reality you have to live with/view every day.

Kind of like buying a car with a sound body but shot engine....you can always fix the engine easier than the rusty body.

30 year old Klipschorns that have been kept in good condition, not abused, and still all original components will still outperform 99% of what's currently out there under most conditions and 100% of the time under the right conditions (but that's another subject).

They can be resurrected from just about any state....look at the post "$500 klipschorn saga" but of course the wood working takes skill

If they are cosmetically acceptable...swapping drivers, x overs, is something anyone can do

buy the prettiest pair you can find , for the cheapest price, and then consult about doing a few hundred (or thousand if you are so inclined ) dollars worth of mods...if it's even needed.

Kind of like buying a car with a sound body but shot engine....you can always fix the engine easier than the rusty body.

That's an understatement!!! But it's fun to do!!!

Connmar: Don't necessarily pass up a pair with some minor cosmetic issues though. Sometimes they are the best choice for a "K'horn Hunter" on a limited budget.

Have fun and good luck!!