Is there such a thing as an inexpensive tube amp?

Connmar

Ive just purchased a pair of used K-Horns. During the time i've been waiting on them to arrive Ive been shown the light!

I heard a pair of Belles on an integrated tube amp. Okay....I now know what I need to have to drive my k-horns. Ive been a transistor guy all my life...having used Yamaha and Onkyo equipment to drive my other Klipsch products.

But the only thing.....ive been looking at tube amps and realize....these things are darn expensive.

What can I expect to pay for a decent amp and preamp? Im new and dont want to get hoodwinked into something that's not of good quality.

Does anyone have recomendations and or pieced they might be interested in selling that might fit my need?

It's called DIY.

The actual parts and quantity of them are generally not substantial in most tube amps (except for the power supplies). It's more about the "estoteric" factor and the price people are willing to pay. Many of the "old timers" are capable of designing and building their own.

But for an inexpensive start you might try Bottlehead kits. You can also have Bottlehead provide fully assembled units, or you can find them on Audiogon or Ebay. Just be aware that when buying used built "kits" you're at the mercy of the person's skill and qualifiactions of who built it.

http://www.bottlehead.com/

Then of course there are the vintage re-builds (EICO & Fisher for instance) that many Forum members can upgrade for you, NOSvalves come to mind.

depends on what you mean by inexpensive, if you mean performance to dollar spent there are plenty of nice tube amps to be had at a great price. i personally believe the only way to asses the value of a piece of gear is to compare the cost to the performance and its perforance as compared to previous geare you have ouned / heard. with that said i am always running across gear in the sub 1000.00 range that performs as good or better than gear costing substantially more. you also have to ask yourself what asthetics mean to you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

I paid around $20 for my Magnavox PP tube amp that I rescued from a console. So, yea, there are cheap tube amps to be had. But, I have not upgraded it or even plugged it in. BTW, I have read that tube and diaphragm speaks are killer. Horns generally need tube amplification. You have to experiment and find the right combo that suits your ear.

I have listened to alot of expensive vintage tube gear and my cayin a50t at about $1,300 beats them all for me. So far I prefer the EL34 tubes with all my klipsch speakers. I am waiting for tubes for the two scott mono amps I got from Noah. Maybe I will become a 6L6 tube lover.

Let me jump in here as I bothered HarryB enough and ask how many watts per channel do I really need????. I listen to rock jazz and some classical with Heresy Is that I recently had upgraded by ChrisM to much sonic benefit. I'm currently running a Jolida cd player with a 30 year old Yamaha integrated amp that has 100 watts per channel across the bandwidth. It supplies plenty of power. Occasionally I turn it up when I'm alone but mostly regular volume levels.I realize tube watts are different and I don't need as much but how many will be enough??? I appreciate all the thoughts on different models. HarryB does not recommend Jolida amps but their HQ is only 30 minutes from here if I had problems. Is the rest of the group adverse to Jolida tube integrated amps as well??

"I realize tube watts are different..snip"

Tube watts are not different, unless you are playing an electric guitar and want the distortion. Amps are rated the same way, and clipping has a way of being recognized if you commonly play music in a manner where you frequently visit the design limits.

As far as an inexpensive tube amp, there are a multitude of cheap products. If you are satisfied with a cheap SS amp on your KHorns, then you should have little problem with cutting cornes on the tube side as well. For better or worse, KHorns manage to show all the warts in your system, rewarding you for excellance and throwing cheap back in your face.

I was in the same boat as you are, only I own Lascalas. They were
driven by the cheap Trends amp until I decided to dip my toes in
tubes... I was hesitant to buy vintage (I see lots of vintage tube
"rust buckets" in flea markets, but they seem like alot of work). I
decided to buy a little Glow One integrated amp, it's gotten some
pretty rave reviews and I had the chance to listen to it at the
Montreal FSI show. It's a well built SEP amp using EL84s, output is 5W
and it doubles as a headphone amp with a USB connection. For 450$ I
think it's hard to go wrong, plus it sounds really nice. I've since
moved into a new house and my dedicated listening room is unfinished,
so the Lascalas are waiting in the basement. I've purchased a used pair
of Heresy IIs for the living room and am driving them with the Glow Amp
One... very satisfying sound.

I'm not affiliated with this site, but I thought I'd send the link if ever you're interested.

http://www.audio-magus.com/product_p/gla1.htm

Good luck!

Daniel