Help identifying band!

boomac

I saw a band on TV last week and never got the name. Maybe Celtic maybe not. They had several guitars, a woman fiddle player and the drummer played mostly with his hands. I think the performance I saw was in Chicago. Anybody know of this group? Tks.

I think the drummer had several drums like that and they did have pipes. Not much with bag pipes, (just a few selections) but they had a large and long pipe that was used often. The female fiddle player was dark haired, attractive and really good!

Was it

Kim Pensyl | "When Katie Smiles" 10/28/08

JazzHQ: Kim Pensyl | "When Katie Smiles" 10/28/08

He’s toured extensively throughout the world and has performed with his band on PBS, BET Jazz and Mexico TV. His albums have been diverse collections of ...
jazzhq.blogspot.com/2008/09/kim-pensyl-when-katie-smiles-102808.html - 141k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this -

Nope! I don't recall a piano but thanks Bill. I listened to a little on the site and found it enjoyable though!

This band sang quite a few "drinking" songs! I figure they like their beer!

Dude are you talking about the Pogues. They have lots of songs about beer and whiskey. Music is killer. http://www.pogues.com/

Another band comes to mind while not celtic is the Asylum Street Spankers. The girl in the bands plays saw, banjo, ukelelee, and fiddle. They play lots of styles from blues to jazz to weird stuff but it is all good. Theser guys are amazing live. They have a song called Bee..... beer beer beer beer i love beer.

http://www.asylumstreetspankers.com/

watch?v=uhJx1gpl0kM

I’m not 100% sure but I think the group is Gaelic Storm and the performance was Gaelic Storm - Live In Chicago. I see there is a DVD of the concert and I hope to check it out tomorrow.

If that’s it, thanks for the help. I appreciate it. If it isn’t, I’ll keep looking.

JJ – I scanned every day in Oct. I guess it was not on PBS. With U-Verse we have so many channels I don’t know if I’m coming or going sometimes.

My only concern is that the fiddle player, (in the pictures of Galeac Storm) appears to be blond and the one we saw was brunete. Of course that's an easy change. The lead singer and drummer look right. At any rate, we only caught the last four numbers so we're looking forward to seeing the whole concert. They featured several dancers on a couple of the numbers and my wife really enjoyed that part of te show.

I'll check out a couple of those other bands that you guys suggested as well.

Thanks again!

Seti - I went to Barnes & Noble and picked up a couple CDs. They didn't have the DVD, Gaelic Storm - Live in Chicago, but I can get it at CD Universe, The young lady at Barnes & Noble said it was one of her favorites and that they always come to Milwaukee for Irish Fest. She also said they have had a couple different fiddle players. One got pregnant I guess. I played the CD on the way home and enjoyed it.

Thanks for the help!

Celtic Thunder the Show - Celtic Thunder (CD)

[ Sell one like this ]
UPC: 602517665620
Format: CD
Record Label: Decca (USA)
Genre: Celtic, International
ePID: 64319241
Description: CELTIC
THUNDER THE SHOW, the audio companion for the popular PBS television
special, showcases the five Irish vocalists in their ideal setting, a
stage in Dublin. Celtic Thunder thrives on the contrast of its various
voices (four tenors ...
Read more
Portions of this page Copyright 1948 - 2008 Muze Inc. muze_40x10.gif All rights reserved.

post-4626-13819426436328_thumb.jpg