Time to vote! PS3 with SACD capabitility OR wait for Oppo BDP-S83 Bluray w/ SACD and DVD-A

southflorida

As we all prepare to vote tomorrow, I am asking for your vote. Hopefully this won't be as heated as a presidential election[*-)] What would you do?

My Dolby Digital TrueHD / DTS HD-MA receiver and rs-7 rear surrounds to round out the Klipsch 7.1 system just arrived. (Everything will be running through hdmi) Of course, now it is time to hear what it can do. I don't have anything but a dvd player with HDMI, and want to have SACD and possibly DVD-a capabilities with the highest audio quality possible within a reasonable budget. I don't want a current PS3 because it doesn't have SACD, so I would most likely have to go for a used 60 or 80gig vs. waiting till January/Febuary for the new Oppo Bluray palyer to come out. I have heard that it will play DVD, bluray, SACD, and DVD-a.

Time to cast your ballet!

How important is gaming. If it not a part of the equation then I would wait on the oppo. I have the older 60 gig with sacd and I like it but it is not hooked up to my two channel system very often. I like my hdcd cayin hybrid player better than the ps3. I only have one sacd. I have read that the current oppo needs a good dac to really shine as a player. I vote wait for the oppo.

Even if gaming is unimportant to you I'd still recommend the PS3. It's a fantastic media machine (with video upscaling, audio upsampling, streaming capabilities, etc.), with new features being added with every consecutive upgrade.

For me the only benefit of the Oppo would be DVD-Audio playback but I have very few DVD-A discs (as opposed to quite a few SACDs). The only other thing I could think of is its 'AV component' design i.e. it fits in a stack, against PS3 obvious console design

I bought a used PS3, so that tell you my vote.

If you don't like multiple remote controls though, using one of the converters to enable IR on the PS3 is a little clunky in its interface.

Also, (it matters to some) - you'll never see the "TrueHD" or "DTS HD" lights on your receiver, as the PS3 does the decoding and passes the signal as PCM to the receiver.

The older PS3's put out quite a bit of heat and the fan is clearly audible if the equipment isn't in another room.. (mine is in a room right next to my seating area, and if the door is open, I can hear the fan)

I don't know anything about PS3, whatever it is, but unless it is 200.00 or less as I expect the new OPPO to be, and have the finest sonics digital has to offer and a video playback as good as the best (which still isn't anything to write home about and doesn't fool my cat), I'd go with OPPO. Mine sounds as good as my Card Deluxe and ESI Pro DACS, which are pretty close to perfect. I've never heard better digital at any price, and my 981HD was about 180.00. Video playback is as good as I've ever seen (given the above caveat).

Of course, if price is not an issue, get both...

Dave

I bought a SACD player 5 years ago and my collection of SACD disc is still a big 0, just not enough choices out there

Music Direct http://www.musicdirect.com/category/2 has 1300 SACD titles in all music catagories and growing. Borders has about 1600 http://www.borders.com/online/store/SearchResults?keyword=SACD&type=0&simple=1

the oppo is going to be way more than 200.00 crave is reporting 500-700.

Well, now I don't feel so bad.

I just bought a PS3 for Xmas (just arrived today). At $200 for the OPPO I thought I had made a mistake since this thread is the first I've heard of OPPO. I don't play SACD on the HT system anyway but it's always nice to have the option. cie la vis.

One of the lesser OPPO units would suit me fine for DVD 1080p upscaling + SACD as a second unit.

LOL, I didn't even know my cheap little LG DVD/VHS player has 720i and 1080i upsampling until I got the new HDTV. When I got it my main concern was that it had an RF out for the old Sony coffee table projector. LMAO (I'm way behind the curve on this video stuff)