LaScala 2 vs. LaScala 1

Are

Are there really any differences in sound between the LaScala 1 and the LaScala 2? I see that you can get some used LaScala 1 pretty "cheap", but LaScala 2 retails for aprox. $6000, so is it worth to put in some extra cash for the new 2's or should i look for some used 1's?[^o)]

Hi Are,

Your "Mr. Budget" reality and personal taste might influence your decision.

I've owned LaSclalas since 1979 when I bought them new (still have them). I heard the Las II's and could immediately tell a difference. As I understand it.... the basic difference is (aside from asthetics), they've made the bass bin thicker and tamed the sidewall from resonating. This IS something that you could do yourself however, you'd still not have something as pretty.

I was told that the actualy output of the two is really the same and the only difference is by taming the sidewalls from resonating, the Las II's "SOUND" like they play deeper.

I'm here to tell you that in my book, they clearly sound like they go an octave deeper. i'm not saying they do...just that it seems they do. Again, I was assured that "mine" will go just as deep if I take care of that issue.

If you prefer the asthetics of the II's, then I'd say go for them (presuming Mr. Budget is cool).

Once you get in that range of dollars AND if you are after sound first followed by appearance.....then do a search on "Jubilee" and come to your own conclusion, or ask more questions [Y]

Hey, and thanks for the reply[:)]

So, bottom line: the LaScala 2 go or sound like they go deeper than Scala 1, but the midrange and tweeter are the same!?

I'm using a subwoofer so maybe the difference would not be so great after all, or what?

Those Jubilee's looked awsome[:D], but they were huge[:P]

(1)The II's have the mid and tweeter horns mounted on the front of the baffle instead of the back side. Whether that makes enough sonic difference to amount to anything, I don't know, but I would think it couldn't hurt.

(2)The crossover in the II is different. I don't know how much so, but I do believe it was reworked when they designed the II.

(3)The tweeter is sourced from a different vendor than before; I believe from the Phillipines.

disclaimer: Any or all of the above may be partially or completely wrong. The author can not be held accountable for factual errors. He's only human and not too bright a human at that.

There are different versions of the LaScala 1's. Some have AA xovers, some have AL xovers, some AL-3, and some have AL-4.

The versions with the AL-4's have the closest sound to the LaScala II's and yes, the closest price.

I've owned at least 25 pairs of La Scalas over the years. (DJing, bands, etc...) It's the Klipsch speaker I'm most familiar with.

When I heard the LSII's at the Pilgrammage a few years ago, I was totally blown away. They were the best sounding speakers of the weekend, by far, and much better than any LSI's I've ever heard. I think Klipsch has done a terrific job with the II's, both in the improvement of the sound and in the aesthetics. Whether it's worth the extra money or not is debatable. LSI's can be had so cheap right now, the huge difference in price makes it hard to compare them to the II's.

There is a substantial difference in sound.

Greg

I had 88 lascalas with AL networks that were terrible.

Put in ALK Universals with big improvement....lived with them for a few years.

Now have LS II's. Sound much better than the original. Yes the bass thwack is the most noteable thing. The overall balance is very good with great dynamics. I also love the way the tweeter sounds.

Very happy with mine.

jc

I have 2004 La Scalas with AL-4 crossovers and I have heard La Scala IIs.

The LS IIs had a better overall balanced sound than my LS because the bass goes deeper and I think the treble is tamed by the crossover(not sure if it was just how it sounds). Very nice sound!!

I think with my LS the mid horn can sometimes overpower the bass and not give as balanced a sound, I use a pair of Fortes with the mid and treble horns unhooked and use the bass only like subs that blends great with my LS.

I paid $3500 in the US for my new 2004 LS and you are in Norway probably looking at least $6000 or more for LS IIs. It just depends on your budget.

The construction of the bass bin from 1" MDF nearly eliminates any side wall flexation which means your bass gets propelled out into the room instead of being absorbed by the cabinet. It's a tremendous boost in LF output compared to the original, although the LF does not extend more than about 2/3 octave, it's more substantial feeling.

Remember that the II is finished in real hardwood veneers with fine mesh grille and bezel. It's more furniture like, like a Klipschorn, whereas the LS standard came in raw (sometimes finished) birch.

If you are using in HT or stereo rig with a subwoofer the old standards will be just fine though.

Thanks for replies guys, some day I will reward you with pics!

It's really tempting to put in some extra cash for the LaScala 2's, i'm just hoping that Vanns will get their super offer back on the LaScala 2's ($1700 each)

Even though I live in Norway, and the shipping is expensive, it's a lot cheaper to buy them in the US, because in Norway they cost 85000 Nok = $12000[:P][8o|][:'(]

PYRO: I'm lissening to about 90% rock and 10% other

It's really tempting to put in some extra cash for the LaScala 2's, i'm just hoping that Vanns will get their super offer back on the LaScala 2's ($1700 each)

I hope they do, too. That would be a great deal for you. That's how I got mine! I would not have them otherwise.

And I do love them. At first I was a little taken aback by the size of them, after having gotten used to much smaller speakers after selling the k-horns. But after a few weeks, they don't don't look so gosh-awful big and boxy any more. Of course, they are big and boxy, but it's kind of like being in love with a fat girl, I guess. A "handsome" fat girl that can sing like a bird and cook like your mama, that is!

I've had Cornwalls and k-horns and now LSII's, and I can honestly say I prefer the La Scala II's, even though in some set-ups (like mine) they do benefit greatly from having a good sub or two fill out the bottom couple of octaves.

I had 88 lascalas with AL networks that were terrible.

Put in ALK Universals with big improvement....lived with them for a few years.

Now have LS II's.  Sound much better than the original.  Yes the bass thwack is the most noteable thing.  The overall balance is very good with great dynamics.  I also love the way the tweeter sounds.

Very happy with mine.

jc

The tweeter was what threw me at first too. The Bass improvement was impressive but the detail in the tweeter really caught me by surprise. I have owned 84 LS since 1984 I'm the original owner. They now have ALK universals, K55M mated to a 511b and the BEC 125 tweeter. I really enjoy them but if I were in a position to upgrade to a new set I would not hesitate. I am seriously considering making them into two ways w/ K510 and K69's. But to your original query IMO there is a very distinct sound improvement in the LS II's.

If I'm going to buy a pair of LaScala's, then I would need a new amplifer to run them, so what do you guys recomend i the tube category?

I've seen many recomending SET amplifiers, but aren't they a little weak?

I came across these amplifes and they looked really nice, but I don't have a clue how they sound, have anyone tested those?

If I'm going to buy a pair of LaScala's, then I would need a new amplifer to run them, so what do you guys recomend i the tube category?

I've seen many recomending SET amplifiers, but aren't they a little weak?

I came across these amplifes and they looked really nice, but I don't have a clue how they sound, have anyone tested those?

I can only echo what everyone has said the La Scala II is the most improved speaker in the Klipsch line up. Not to mention how beautiful it is now.

SET with highly efficient speakers are great imo but if your new to tubes perhaps start with a little high power. I am currently running Khorns with Onix Melody SP3 wich is a tube integrated 40wpc. It is very good and a bargain on the new and used market. I picked one up for $475 from audiogon.com . Even if your power hungry 40wpc is fine. Remember these speakers are 104db 1w 1m. If you are in or close to a big city you may be able to audition some tube amps or look for tube amp enthusiast in your area.

Good luck. Listen first judge later.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a pair of new LS II's and, now that they are getting broken in, I would say they are incredible. I remember that the LS I's could be very finicky with screeching highs on bad amps. I am running them with an old Electrocompaniet solid state amp and the sound is marvelous.

• Klipsch Employees

I like it loud so for the amp I suggest Solid State. Glass just can't get there for me.

I have both in my front 3. Pr of LSII and the LS (AL-4) for a center.

They work very well in the HT together. I run them all on "large". I have the THX U2 sub.

The LS has been my favorite speaker from the start. You can use it in the HT / 2ch or on stage as PA.

Few speakers in the world can handle that task.

nothing like have a PA in the living room, eh Trey?

seriously, the II is prettier, more astonishing LF, and prettier. Did I say prettier?

If you're using them for home theater, follow Trey's advice and get some REAL POWER, for laid back music listening tubes may be for you. I don't have much experience with the later.