Are Kg3.2's worth upgrading?

mspa

I posted a few threads on some other forums here and nobody has even viewed, so maybe I was in the wrong spot.

I love several things about these Kg3.2's, and I know they aren't considered anything special as far as Klipsch speakers are concerned, but for me, they are the right size, the right look, and they are my first pair of Klipsch.

I have two problems. First, I am a purist, so the idea of altering my speakers, doesn't sit well (yet). The second problem is I have a tear in one surround of a passive woofer. I can only fix by replacing with foam surrounds (I say plural, since I would do both for balance).

So if I decide to keep these speakers, and do that, but don't like the outcome. Does it make sense to upgrade these? I know of the Bob Crites tweeters, which I might be interested in trying out down the road, maybe even with crossovers, assuming I can get the specs from Klipsch, but my first concern might be replacing the passive woofers.

To let you know where I am, if I had to spend another $150 on these, but could end up with the best Klipsch in this size box, I would consider it, especially since they look spectacular.

I can't help with the tear in the woofer but I can help with the rest...I was in your shoes four years ago...I didn't want to change the Klipsch sound...BUT here is what you can do...get the parts from Bob or have Bob build you a new set of crossovers...Bob uses the same points Klipsch used but will make your 3.2s sound as they did when they were made and they will be better than new quality...as Bob put it to me, the parts Klipsch used during those years were not great when new so this would be a step up (I am paraphrasing Bob)...

as for the tweeter...I don't think Bob makes a replacement tweeter for anything but the Heritage K-77s BUT...he makes a titanium diaphragm for the tweeter you have now and it improves the sound and is of better quality than even the Klipsch one you have...

I have progressed on here and Bob has built me new crossovers for two pair of Heresys and one pair of Quartets and I have bought titanium diaphragms for two pair of Quartets...I am looking at a pair of kg5.5s for a small Home Theater project and I believe that I will at least get the titanium diaphragms for them from Bob...

the best thing is that Bob is nice enough with prices that you can do this and still feel you got a bargain with your speakers...I know just how you feel about dumping a lot into the speakers you just got...hopefully someone will help you with the tear (I have heard it is a relatively easy fix before) and you will be very happy with your Klipsch...by the way...the Klipsch kg series is highly sought after and thought of ...cheers!

Bill

Thanks Bill. That is encouraging! :) I did talk to Bob about the tweeters and crossover, and I'd probably do the tweeters first, but from what you've said, and from what I've gathered from looking at other comments about Bob's work, I am motivated to find a fix for my woofer(s). I suppose I can be glad it's the passive. But for some reason, Klipsch still carries the active woofers for these speakers.

I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been a response to you about the passive radiator...I thought someone used rubber cement or some such...hopefully they'll chime in and help you...I have been pleased with Bob's work and the improvement in sound gained from his improvements...that even I can install [;)]

Bill

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/87695/885828.aspx#885828

check ColterPhoto1s response...apparently ok'd by Eminence (speaker manufacturer)...hopefully this'll work for you...

Some have bought parts from partsexpress.com that have worked but I don't know that that would be the way i'd go...

Hope this helps...

Bill

I have repaired thin rubber surrounds on JBL active woofers by using cigarette paper/tissue wrapping paper and Weldbond (thinned a little with water). It works great, and the glue stays flexible. As has been pointed out, it may change the compliance, but not enough that you will notice. Maybe not even be able to measure it. It will still be closer than anything other than a direct replacement part

Bruce

I'm happy to say I found a NOS passive woofer and ordered it today. I'll let you know if it's what I hope it is when it gets here.

Thanks for all the helpful tips and info! At least I know that worse case scenario, there are more than a few ways to keep the speakers alive and well.

I got the NOS passive woofer today! It came in the original box from Klipsch back in 1995. It did not have the thin foam gasket to go between it and the speaker, but I went ahead and installed it and it works just fine. Do I need to have a thin gasket in there?

Also, I ordered the Bob Crites Titanium diaphragms today too . . .

It's interesting, but I noticed the plastic trim ring is not perfectly round and get close to the surround. The rim of the speaker doesn't seat perfectly on the face of the cabinet either. But then I looked at the other speakers in the other cabinet and noticed there are similar variances. I can't imagine it effects the sound. The bass is amazing for their size, as I was playing some different scenes from the Lord of the Ring DVD (since this TV system isn't setup for music yet) and those woofers were really moving on some things. I decided to tone it down though and let the rubber slowly get some exercise on regular TV for a few days . . .

• 4 weeks later...

I for one can understand you feelings about your 3.2s. I've got a pair of OO 3.2s and 5.2s. They don't have the cult following of the Heritage speakers, or even the following of the extended Heritage line but they are great sounding speakers none the less. I recently bought a pair of Forte IIs and at first I wasn't impressed for twice the money of the price of my 5.2s, then after tweaking my Yamaha 663 I was thrilled with them. But now after A/Bing between them I'm not sure. Do the Forte IIs sound better? Yes. Twice as good? No. And you mention the look of the .2s and I also agree with that. I rarely have the grill covers on my 5.2s or 3.2s. when using them. They look great. Better than the Forte IIs with the covers off IMHO. The KGs have a full muscular look for lack of a better word.

I've got my 5.2s and 3.2s listed for sale on here but I really don't care if I sell them. Thinking of using my 2.5s for rears until I find another pair of Forte IIs or a pair Quartets. I often ask myself why did I buy the Forte IIs and why would I buy another pair of the same or Quartets when I was so happy with the KG HT setup I had. Extended Heritage peer pressure maybe. Suffering from Heritage peer pressure too but they are so damn big!!

• 11 years later...