Anyone using a Wii with projector?

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm looking to purchase a Wii for my kids for Christmas. I know I can hook it up to the receiver and feed it to the projector but I'm wondering about the sensor bar. If I mount it below the projection screen, will it be high enough to sense the movement of the Wii Motes?

• Moderators

Thx. I haven't purchased a projector yet but I'm looking at the Panasonic AE-3000. My ceilings are 10' but I'm sure I'll need to drop it down on a pole. Not sure how close I will be able to be without interfering with the screen. The front of my first row seats are 12' from the front wall, so I'm guessing I'll be 8' - 10' from the screen while playing.

If I mount it below the projection screen, will it be high enough to sense the movement of the Wii Motes?

Yes, it will be fine. Those sensor bars are pretty sensitive. I have mine about a foot off the ground on the last shelf of my cabinet and we haven't had any problems. Just make sure eveyone uses the controller straps to their wrists... I took a shot in the forhead when my nephew was bowling... My head was fine, but the remote wasn't so lucky..

• Moderators

Cool. I thought someone told me it had to be pretty high for it to pick up your movements.

Just make sure eveyone uses the controller straps to their wrists... I took a shot in the forhead when my nephew was bowling...

I guess he was trying to take out the competition huh? [:D]

You should not have a problem. However, you may want to buy a replacement sensor bar. The one I got uses batteries, plugs into the Wii, or can use a wall transformer. This way you do not have to have the Wii by your screen, which is a pain if your equipment is not there also. I got mine at BB for about $15.

Remember, it is not really a sensor but an IR transmitter. The Wii mote uses the light transmitted to calculate the pointing coordinates on the screen, and the Wii mote transmits this to the Wii throught the BT connection.