Need info on Grado and Technics.

HudsonValleyNoah

I picked up a Technics 1900 turntable yesterday and it came with a Grado cart.

1) How do you tell which model of Grado it is?

It looks like a Silver or Black model (according to pictures I have seen on eBay.)

2) the Technics 1900 will not stabilize speed per the neon lamp / black dots; are these TTs prone to this? Is there a fix?

I have a Technics SL-Q2 that does seem to stabilize at speed and the head shell w/Grado (from the 1900) fits on the SL-Q2 arm and seem to work well.

3) Does anyone know anything about the Technics SL-Q2?

It's nice to be able to spin some vinyl again...

Noah

As I recall...the SL-Q2 is an SL-D2 (I had one of those)...with the addition of Quartz to better regulate the Direct Drive system...My SL-1300 pretty much stays at the mark I set it for...

Bill

Thanks for your reply SS.

I would love to pick up a 1200 or a 1300 as was recommended by Groomlake and others.

Do you know anything about these Grado carts?

Thanks, N

Once the servo or quartz lock stops working as you describe, they pretty much aren't worth fixing is the general consensus. Silversport is correct about the Q2.

One thing you might try is cleaning the pitch control with contact cleaner just to make sure where the problem lies.

Thanks oldtimer, I'll try to figure out where to shoot the deoxit.

Can someone please tell me about Grado?

• 6 years later...

Well groomlake/area51 sold me his old Techniques 1200mk2 and I never got a chance to hook it up. - it's been sitting here since way back then. Life can sure spin ya around and knock you down. I know I'm not alone in THAT. I haven't spoken to groomy since soon after he retired.

Most of y'all don't even know who I'm talking about but he did a LOT of work for this community (such as it was, and it was better.)

Or is that what old people say... I remember the days when...

Expletive avoided.

Anybody hear from groomy lately?

I don't want to start calling his old numbers for fear I'll hear bad news.

My cell numbers have not changed in case you're out there GL/A51, I hope you and your family are AOK.

A local fellow here wants to buy the 1200 just as Gl sent it to me and I got to figure out a proper price for him.

Over 3000 of my old posts have been striped away so I can't find the thread where GL offered it or where I bought it.

Any of you relative old timers remember back there to 2008 or 9?

Remember the selloff before the move off grid?

My best regards to all you old timers, and to all real people who have come since.

Noah, with the woods at my backyard.

I would suggest you Google Grado images, then search for a pic that looks like yours.

103671_1_.jpg

BITD I owned a Tecnics direct drive turntable SL-1200 a Grado G2 cart.  I think the TT was about $100 in 1980 and the Grado was about that, I really can't remember, so both were middle of the road products.  I know there was better stuff out there, and there was cheaper.

My Technics had that oscillation you mentioned almost from the beginning, where the lights would sync then run fast or slow, can't remember which.  The workaround was to use a weight on the platter.  The extra mass stabilized the speed so it was more consistent.

turntable-record-clamp-disc-stabilizer-r

Edited by wvu80