Carver Amps on Klipschs

Yobear42

I saw a thread in the forums that was started in 2004 with a simular topic...some people had issues with older Carver Amps and thier horns....I just wanted to add my 2 cents, I have a set of KG 5.5 and they are powered by my Carver TFM 35x and they are a match made in heaven. My rear speakers are B&W 620i's with a Carver TFM 15cb and thats another set that was made in heaven.....

I thought about upgrading but there is nothing available that come close to the sonic punch my 5.5 have. They are great on Low's and smooth on the highs.

I love my horns, just wish you had a current set that I could upgrade to that comes close to my 5.5's...

Ditto on everthing said, I have Two TCM 25's and they work
great with my La Scalas and Cornwalls, but to be honest I think the
Cornwalls would sound good with any amp or reciever hooked up to it.

<> I
am loving the cornwalls more every Day, IMHO the best
sounding speakers I have ever owned.

Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my Cornwalls hooked up to a Carver M-400t and a TFM-35x...sounded damn good to me!

The first time I ever heard Klipschorns back in '80, they were powered by M-500t amps (4 loudspeakers, 2 amps). Talk about a lifelike presentation!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Carver A733- 3 channel 250 WPC- 7 years old- When I hooked it up my system came alive. What a %^%$ing beast!!!! My buddies say that it looks / sounds like it should be Dracula's amplifier. Used it with vintage RF3s and Cornwalls. Initally I will have it driving my soon to buy K horns. Can't wait. Its a domesticated Phase Linear on steriods X 3. Love it. Some say that they dont like Carver stuff. Frankly I dont get it. I love my Mcintosh stuff, love my B&K, same with my H&K.. Eventually I will go all tubes but that takes nothing away form this SS stuff.. It's all good.

Not all Carver amps should be discussed in the same breath. Different companies and probably different degrees of involvement over the years.

That said ....

I ran a Carver TFM-15 on K-Horns and Cornwalls. They sounded okay and without any obvious deficiencies. That amplifier is quite affordable.

I listened extensively to a Carver M1.0 on K-Horns once. The sound was superb! I am not sure if this is also true of the other models in that series. These can also be had at an affordable price.

Personally, I would be wary about upgrades on the M series. As I understand things, there were some idiosycrasies about the power supply. Working on them may require a fairly deep understanding of Carver's design. Just my opinion....

Not all Carver amps should be discussed in the same breath. Different companies and probably different degrees of involvement over the years.

That said ....

I ran a Carver TFM-15 on K-Horns and Cornwalls. They sounded okay and without any obvious deficiencies. That amplifier is quite affordable.

I listened extensively to a Carver M1.0 on K-Horns once. The sound was superb! I am not sure if this is also true of the other models in that series. These can also be had at an affordable price.

Personally, I would be wary about upgrades on the M series. As I understand things, there were some idiosycrasies about the power supply. Working on them may require a fairly deep understanding of Carver's design. Just my opinion....

Yes, the M-1.0t mates VERY well with klipsch; much lower noise floor than the M-4.0t and M-1.5t. The M-500t is also a personal favorite.

I worked for Carver repair back in the day, and 'cut my teeth' on the mag field design. I'm now a retired EE, and this began as a project for my own gear. Full part6s list and design philosophy is at http://carvermk2.com and http://thecarversite.com I'll help anybody that wants to do the mod (it's fairly straightforward) and will do mods, but am currently booked until mid-June.

• 13 years later...

In order to not reinvent a thread perhaps I’ll resurrect this one. I’ve recently acquired a Carver M-1.0t. It is pinch hitting for a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature, which has malfunctioned and is on Flannery’s repair wait list. Safe to say, that I like Carver stuff, at least most of what I’ve heard Does anyone else have an opinion on this amp powering La Scalas? Given it’s legendary status, I’m just not as impressed with it as I’d expected to be. It doesn’t seem to have the  full, rich sound that I’ve had with the Sunfire. It seems a bit “thin”, if that’s a real thing. Don’t get me wrong it will get stupid loud with no effort. I don’t think I’ve seen it hit even 30 Watts, and that’s about when I start to run out of room. Plenty of amp & speaker left, but the room itself can’t handle the volume (13’x20’)

I suppose it could be out of spec, but it’s dead quiet with no hums, pops, or clicks.

I’ll also say that it may be sounding better after a few days, maybe I’m just getting used to it?

• Like 2

Yes, it could do you a hit after abit. Guess you'll be getting acquainted.

Before got Klipsch heard opinions of Carver being bright...ish with the sound.

Whatever was was alright with me. Holographic effect nice on most Carver. Bass I take it thin also.

7 hours ago, M_Klipsches said:

Does anyone else have an opinion on this amp powering La Scalas? Given it’s legendary status, I’m just not as impressed with it as I’d expected to be. It doesn’t seem to have the  full, rich sound that I’ve had with the Sunfire. It seems a bit “thin”, if that’s a real thing.

I’ll also say that it may be sounding better after a few days, maybe I’m just getting used to it?

Certainly getting used to it is a thing Sunfire was / is the next level in performance over most of the older Carver line costing nearly twice as much new. I was a huge Carver amp fan until I heard Sunfire then that was pretty much it for me, hard to go back after that. Also the M-1.0t is honestly my least favorite sounding amplifier of that line plenty of power just kind of dry believe I commented it would probably make a great sub amp. The M-1.5t is my personal favorite sounding out of the earlier amps. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, M_Klipsches said:

I’ve recently acquired a Carver M-1.0t. It is pinch hitting for a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature, which has malfunctioned and is on Flannery’s repair wait list. Safe to say, that I like Carver stuff, at least most of what I’ve heard

Are you running a multi-channel system or just 2-channel? I'd look at the new Carver Black Magic 25 if you just need 2 channels for your La Scala's or even the older original Black Magic VTA-20 both are an improvement over Sunfire IMO but the smaller 20 will run out of gas in larger rooms or at high volumes. 

On 7/13/2022 at 6:29 AM, jjptkd said:

Certainly getting used to it is a thing Sunfire was / is the next level in performance over most of the older Carver line costing nearly twice as much new. I was a huge Carver amp fan until I heard Sunfire then that was pretty much it for me, hard to go back after that. Also the M-1.0t is honestly my least favorite sounding amplifier of that line plenty of power just kind of dry believe I commented it would probably make a great sub amp. The M-1.5t is my personal favorite sounding out of the earlier amps. 

That’s basically what I’m experiencing, it’s just not as full sounding. It reminds me of electrostatic speakers, which I’m told are great, but every pair I’ve ever heard was disappointing, to my ears anyway. They just lack presence, this amp strikes me the same way.I really don’t think there’s anything “wrong” with it. Although, it did take fairly solid hit during shipping, which made me wonder if it could be malfunctioning, but don’t think so.  I guess the Sunfire, really has me spoiled. I suppose now I know why there is a wait list to have the damn things repaired. 

• Like 1