Carver Amps on Klipschs

Yobear42

Just to update, and keep things going. The Sunfire has been refurbished and returned, and is now in perfect working order. I still say it sounds better than the M-1.0T. That being said, I’ve taken the M-1.0T and added it to the Family room system. A Denon X3500H, RP-280F, RP-502S, RC-62II, and a diy BFM T-18 Sub.  This system is mostly TV & Movies, probably 90%; but it does occasionally rock out. I’m powering the RP-280Fs with the Carver, everything else (except the sub) with the Denon. So far we’ve only used it for TV & Streaming, nothing at any real volume. No 2.1 music, which is where I expect to hear a difference; though, at the lower volume I can’t really hear it yet. I’ll follow up, once I can give it a more thorough workout. 

• Like 1

I just received back my M1.0t that was updated and upgraded by Nelion audio. The upgrade is their MkII Opt002 which advertises an increase from 200 wpc to 460 into 8 ohms (500 at clipping) with 0.15% THD. I also have an M1.5t in their shop now for a similar update and restore (520 wpc into 8 ohm). These will not be used with my Khorns but in another system, however I will be testing them out on the Khorns once I have both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quad Khorns said:

I just received back my M1.0t that was updated and upgraded by Nelion audio. The upgrade is their MkII Opt002 which advertises an increase from 200 wpc to 460 into 8 ohms (500 at clipping) with 0.15% THD. I also have an M1.5t in their shop now for a similar update and restore (520 wpc into 8 ohm). These will not be used with my Khorns but in another system, however I will be testing them out on the Khorns once I have both. 

I might look into that modification in the future. I need to let the cost of repairing the Sunfire settle out before I start another project. Let us know how it sounds. 

I finally got the chance to give the Carver family room set up a proper 2.1 listening session. Ran the gamut from the Grateful Dead, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, The Avett Brothers, to the cast album of Hamilton, and honestly I must say, I’m impressed. Especially after my initial tepid response when it powered the La Scalas. With the RP-280Fs it broadened the soundstage, it made them sound larger, and physically further apart, while still projecting a perfect stereo image. I don’t know what wattage the second row of leds represents, maybe twenty? But they were only flashing during peaks, easily hitting 100db, @ 10’ from the speakers. At reasonable volume it sounded fantastic; it certainly wasn’t “thin” as I’d described it with the La Scalas, and certainly wasn’t lacking in “detail” as others have opined. My dogs even noticed, there were a few times when they mistook drums for door knocks, and they typically don’t react much to TV & music. If I had to give a bit of criticism it might be a touch of harshness in the mids & highs that I’d not noticed in the RP-280Fs before. 
The original thread premise of Carver Amps & Klipsch, still seems valid; apparently some play quite well with each other, some maybe not so much. I do think I’ll hang on to the M-1.0T