Replacing Grille Cloth on circa 1974 Cornwalls

Zinfandel

First, I had no idea there was such a community on Klipsch. Have loved my Cornwalls from the beginning.

Recently moved from a house with a finished basement which housed the Cornwalls and now they are in a living room. Had to convince the wife...she wanted to get rid of them! Uh....no.

Believe I bought them from HiFi Hutch in Northwest Chicago suburb (Prospect Heights maybe) in late 1974 or early 1975. I seem to remeber just missing a visit to the store by Mr. Klipsch himself by a few days, heard he did random visits and did presentaions back then, but it could just be lore too!

As far as I can remember they were unfinished birch which I stained in light color (maple?). They are on risers. While the stain is yellowed and has some defects, the main problem is the grille cloth.I see many posts on how to buy some acceptable replacement cloth but I need help on how to remove the old.

It appears that there is a wood frame with wood finishing nails holding a very thin bezel to the front. I am afraid if I try to remove it it will crack after so many years. The nails are very tight.

I notice many screws on the back, is it possible the whole cabinet slides out and I can somehow access the cloth that way?

Any help would be appreciated.

welcome to the forum Zin, without pictures its hard to tell exactly what you have. klipsch didn't make removable grills until 1975. if you have 74's your grill cloth is stapled in place around the motor board with at least 1000 staples. you can easily take out the screws on the back and look inside to confirm the staples. if this is true their is some info i posted on here on how to replace the cloth. let us know what you find out and we will help you out.

Thanks, will get picutres up soon

There is no arrow tag on the back, only the model/SN tag.

Model is barely legible, could be C D BR or C D 8 R

serial is illegible on the tag but is stamped into the upper edge of the back

SN 5N760 and 5N760

Can not read Inspected By but Tested By is clearly N W Bradford

Any of that tell us anything?

Excuse a noob, but how does removing back screws tell me anything about the front?

Does the whole speaker assembly slide out of the cabinet or something?

Are there any diagrams in the forum? I am so pleased to have found this forum.

Back in the day I was the only one I knew that heard of Klipsch much less own a pair!

CD-BR stands for Cornwall-Decorator - Birch Raw the N in the serial number stands for 1975

Decorators came from the factory with no grills and no grill cloth. someone added the molding and the grill cloth at a later date. see if you can remove the grill cloth. don't remove the moulding. you can also remove the screws from the back and remove the back panel and see all drivers and crossovers.

As the original owner the Cornwalls came to me with grill cloth and the molding. They were unfinished birch. Money was a concern and that was the cheapest version.

Not sure what you mean by removing the cloth without removing the molding. The cloth appears to be under the molding. But maybe not, I will look. Though if I do remove it without removing the molding not sure what I would tack it to.