What size speakers for a 1,800 cubic ft. HT - Are RB-81s too small?

mizedog

Hi all. I've lurked for a while and have thoroughly enjoyed the info on this forum. Now I could use some direct help picking out mains, and possibly a new center speaker. Will RB-81s or similar bookshelfs be too small to be used as mains?

As part of my basement finishing, I'm building a HT room that's 13.5' x 17.5' x 7.5ft high (low ceiling). The cement foundation is on three walls (screen, left, rear) but only up to 44" behind the screen wall (access to crawl space). It's got hanging walls all around (per code). The frame is 2x4/soft caulk/Celotex sheet/soft caulk/ .5" drywall. I've filled the walls and ceiling with fiberglass insulation. The ceiling is low (may have to put absorption up there). I'll be using a front projector. There will be 43" tall electric fireplace under the pull-down screen. Althrough these room demensions seem close to ideal according to some resources, it's super-live sounding and I'll need to add some absorption material. The room is wired for 7.2 set up but will start with 5.1 using old equipment.

Basement.jpg

EDCXZKl+7xMj9oIbh8P8X6PkOSJc5tT10300.jpg

Here's my current/old (bought in '00) equipment that I'll use for the time being:

Klipsh SC-1 center

Klipsch ss-1s

Klipsch Synergy 12 sub

Denon AVR 2800

I need mains, and possibly a new center speaker. My limitation is space behind the mains and center. I'm building the center speaker into the front facia of the fireplace which is 14" deep. I'd love to build the mains and sub into pseudo cabinets to match the fireplace. I understand the advantage of pulling the mains toward the listener to match the distance to the center speaker but don't want them out too far from the screen wall. This is to preserve seating area and to keep my 3, and 5 year old girls away from the mains. Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to add enough info to get good insight.

My ego says go with RF-62s, my budget says go with Synergy F-2s or F-3s, my emotions say go with Heresy's for the vintage aspect, but my WAF meeting says go with RB-81s or RB-35s (because they're front ported and I could get them up off the floor against the screen wall). I'd love to have an RC-7 center, but am afraid it wouldn't have room in the back to breath.

Any thoughts...

Like always, you should get the best speaker that you can afford. If the WAF is the major thing then I would go with the biggest bookshelf that you can get, which is the RB-81. Would this also mean that you are getting RB-81's for the rear channels also?

I am glad tht my gf loved my RF-83 when we went to order them, she really like K-Horns but to bad no real corners or room to put them.

Keep us updated on how it comes out.

BTW great looking room you have there.... [Y]

James

A couple years ago, I had my old setup in a room almost exactly the same size as you have. I had SF1 mains, SC1 center, and 4 SS1 surrounds. these speakers were plenty powerful to "take" the room, so I think with the RB-81's, you'll be fine. Like James said, are you going with the 81's as rears as well?

I have thought about running RB81s in the rear, but am concerned that the rearmost listeners wouldn't hear them because the sectional will be right up against the back wall. I was considering matching in walls (gasp) to get them back further. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll probably start my own build thread soon since I finally have it painted. I'm really getting excited to finish this.