klipsch speakers $200.....crazy craigs list ad for kilpschorns

jerryd

Posted yesterday in south florida. I saw the ad at 11:30 at night and emmediately started calling. left numerous massages. the ad was placed in furniture which recieves 500 posts a day. the ad was placed at noon so I felt there was a chance they were not yet sold. I finally spoke wit the lady this morning and the speakers were sold. She asked if I was the one calling at midnight. She then sked what the speakers were worth. I told her they currently sell for 8000 new. there was breif silence then a disturbed "but they were 15-20 years old!"

heres what the ad said:

KLIPSCH SPEAKERS - 2 FLOOR AND 1 STANDALONE. GREAT SURROUND SOUND.

MUST GO TODAY!! MUST BE PICKED UP TODAY

and there was one picture of a beautiful wood grain horn in the corner. oh well...

heartbreaker

someone scored big

Man Jerry, that can be considered a bad way to break the news. If the seller got what she asked, AND the speakers are already SOLD and GONE...that is not the best time to tell her you think she either got robbed, or is terminally stupid. It often is better to wish her a good day, and hope(again) that you are the next recipient of a great deal like that.

If you insisted on being ethical, you could offer ten times her asking price unprompted. For some reason, no one ever thinks of telling the seller when they call that they need to pay 50% of full new retail when the asking price is $200. Come to think of it, it seems obvious what value she attached to the speakers. YMMV

I dunno. I think I'd feel guilty getting that good a deal if it was from a nice old lady who just needed to clear out her house. Now I wouldn't feel guilty if it was from some jerk just unloading Daddy's big old speakers because they were too lazy to find out what thery were worth. Or some well to do widow who was getting rid of her late husband's ugly speakers she just couldn't stand.

Yep. Sounds like someone got a great score. But she did get what she asked and they were gone so I hope I'd think quick enough not to tell her they could easily be worth ten times what she sold them for. Probably more if a nice pair fo KHorns and a center channel... maybe a matching Belle.

Somebody scored big.

Yes she wouldnt answer phone at midnite, but she heard it ringing. I didnt sleep till about 5 am wonding if I might get lucky. She finally answered 9 am the next morning. She sounded about 40 years old. I should have asked foe more details, but I was mainly disappointed that some one else got the deal.. Its okay though. I got my new Forte II thursday for 475 in like new condition. its amazing how good they sound for the money. To think I almost spent 1500 for a new set of B&W 683. My guess is there is not anything on the new market that sounds as good as these for less than 3000. Gotta love klipsch for making such an amazing product.

When I was working in audio retail 30 years ago, we took plenty of large format speakers in for trade. More than 1/2 of them were water damaged. In the case of a Klipschorn (unlike say a JBL) the value of the drivers isn't worth the hassle to take them in for trade.

If they're in FL, there is a very, very good chance they've got water damage.

Besides, with Great Depression *The Sequel* coming 1H 09, you'll find plenty of bargians in used audio.

If they're in FL, there is a very, very good chance they've got water damage.

Well you can't water down this great deal—stain or no stain. Giving any seller what they are asking is completely professional. I would have done the same thing. They buyer did her a favor by getting those old monsters out of her house. He probably stayed up until 5AM as well (listening to his new Khorns!).

Did you copy the picture? I would love to see it just for kix.