Box Sets

Audio Flynn

Being the somewhat of a vinyl pretender I am some months, I feel the need to justify whey I like CDs.

I was hunting a bit and business in Motwn has been far more over the top than just plain "ugly". I just had not listened to hardly any music in 3 weeks. Nutz but it happens.

My wife had a regional Girl Scout meeetin tonight so it gave me a chance to listen to some music that demanded listening with vigor. The box set concept works great for me because for so many artists I have heard the "album rock" in the linear fashion classic rock lps brings. Rumors, Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, Hotel California, Deja Vu, Music from Big Pink, Miles of Isles, Low Spark, The Freewheelin', Tupelo Honey and other milesstone LPs are sweet but getting a remaster of an indepth compilation of an artists timeline or retrospective is a treat when you have been listenign to the origonal for over 30 years.

Tonight was the 4 CD box set of "The Last Watlz". Only got through the first two CDs but it was very pleasant. One could just listen to the Levon Helm drums for the night and apreciate his vocals and harmonies as an afterthought. Hard to find more passion than Rick Danko singing Stage Fright.

Then throw in Muddy and Neil and Joni and Van. What a concert film. I saw it as a first run when I was a pup.

Chime in with your favorite box sets...

Dont worry be happy.......

Tommy Bolin 'The Ultimate' is a great 2 CD retrospective of his illustrious but brief career and includes work with James Gang, Deep Purple, Alphonse Mouson, Billy Cobham, two solo projects and some other goodies including the bands Moxy and other early works. The included book is full of all kinds of interviews and photos of TB and tour paraphanelia.

Also YesYears is a 4 disc retrospective that has lots of live and unreleased goodies on it includeing Chris Squires holiday song 'Run with the Fox.

I'm missing my disc III of this set so if anyone has it please contact me. I took it into Klipsch one day to audition some speakers and forgot about it. Months later I got the cover back but not that disc. Thanks!

M

post-10755-13819426931646_thumb.jpg

I'm missing my disc III of this set

Best I can do is make you a copy mon capitanWink

If you would be so kind sir- the best resolution your system can muster please. Purchasing another 4CD set is not in the budget.

Also if not asking too much the Tony Iommi/Glenn Hughes Seventh Star has a couple slight skips if I could get a do-over?

You'll be happy to know that I spend most of my time in the shop screaming along with Glenn and those many fine discs you made for me- thanks mang!

Michael

Also YesYears is a 4 disc retrospective that has lots of live and unreleased goodies on it includeing Chris Squires holiday song 'Run with the Fox.

I'm missing my disc III of this set so if anyone has it please contact me. I took it into Klipsch one day to audition some speakers and forgot about it. Months later I got the cover back but not that disc. Thanks!

You mean THIS Yes boxed set? Hard to believe I had that thing for over 15 years now (bought back when I was in college - the $90 I dropped on it at the time was a pretty good chunk of change for a college student.). That other disk is a signed copy of the Circa disk, by some of the (former?) members of Yes.

BTW, if 'Kaiser SET say' for some reason cannot accommidate you, I certainly can, although, again, it would have to be a copy, as I am not quite willing to give up my set right now.

post-3829-13819427171804_thumb.jpg

Thebes, due to your longstanding service in the cause I will forgive you for the Spruce...

Ummm, Colter, on the subject of copies....does Hammer of Thor ring a bell? Cool

Yeah, got the discs recorded, computer bombed and I've not been able to get Photoshop back up so as to make a nice sleeve like I wanted to.

Will get shipped anyway, but they'll be without artwork for now.

That other disk is a signed copy of the Circa disk, by some of the (former?) members of Yes.

Sweet SteveBig Smile Not only is this a killer box set the liner notes book with the bands family tree is just awesome. I kinda figured you for a Yes fan since they are one of the original prog rockersWink

Oh yeah - been a Yes fan for quite some time. Also a pretty big Rush and Asia fan as well. Most of this that I listen to now is pretty much a modern incarnation, ever since the mainstream radio pretty much went down the toilet. After all, why the hell do I want to listen to "alternative" rock when I was quite happy with what I was listening to in the first place? I don't need any alternatives when I was quite happy with what I had to begin with!

That Yes box set was, if I remember, the first thing that I listened to when I initailly gotten my Klipsch setup all hooked up. I was just so amazed at how detailed and clear it all came out. That book that comes with the box set is quite amazing. All kinds of old pictures, plus about as detailed as a history of the band up to that point that you could ever care to get into.

That Circa disk is friggan awesome. I highly, and I mean HIGHLY recommend anybody that are Yes fans to check out Circa:

IMG_2444Medium.jpg

IMG_2446Medium.jpg