Promedia 2.1 DIN cable DIY fix

Fendbass22

Well I finally found a fix for my Promedia 2.1 DIN cable that had been missing the male end. My girlfriend moved the control POD without moving the sub/amp and removed the connector from the male end of the plug. I LOVED this setup and wanted to keep it.

So this repair is for a replacement male DIN connector:

Go to Best Buy and grab the Dynex (cheezy store brand) 6' PS/2 keyboard extension cord for $12. Model DX-C101681. Cut off the male plug and strip all wires. Cut off whats left of the male DIN cable connector on the Promedia and strip wires. Connect and solder the following colors:

Dynex Plug ----------------------- Promedia Stripped Wires

Brown ---------------------------- Orange

Black ----------------------------- Brown

White ----------------------------- Yellow

Orange --------------------------- Black

Green ----------------------------- Green

Red -------------------------------- Red

Connect silver ground wires that are uncovered. Solder and tape each individual soldered pair and crank it up!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks a bunch for the fix. After a few years of gathering dust, my Promedia 2.1s are back to work and sounding great!

I used a different PS/2 keyboard extension cable which had different wire colors so I ended up using a multimeter to map the pins. I thought it might be useful for others to list the 'map' so they can use any 6 wire (plus shield) PS/2 keyboard extension cable. BTW, a keyboard PS/2 connector only has 4 wires so will not work - it has to be a PS/2 keyboard extension cable or some other PS/2 male connector with 6 wires + shield.

Klipsch speaker cable DIN map (looking into the plug with the key pin at ~12 o'clock and going clockwise):

Pin 1 (1 o'clock): Black

Pin 2 (3 o'clock): Yellow

Pin 3 (5 o'clock): Red

Pin 4 (7 o'clock): Brown

Pin 5 (9 o'clock): Orange

Pin 6 (11 o'clock): Green

Shield: bare wire

My PS/2 replacement DIN colors were pin 1: black; pin 2: blue; pin 3: yellow; pin 4: red; pin 5: green; pin 6: white

I removed the Klipsch DIN outer covering and verified the wire to pin colors visually - the wire colors are visible through the translucent plastic matrix. You can check your replacement DIN pin colors by stripping the wires, setting a multimeter on 'continuity' setting and using a fine tip, map each pin by finding the 'short'. I do not know if this extra info is as useful as Fendbass22 original post - just the fact you can use a PS/2 connector was a revelation - but I wanted to contribute my 2 cent. Might save someone $12 if you have an unused keyboard extension cable laying around like from a KVM.

I can sell a direct color to color match cable to avoid any confusion for anyone here and as jrw stated, I will charge a total of $12 for klipsch forum members with shipping for this cable, In fact, anyone that wants one between now and January first can get one delivered for just $10. So for $10, isn't it worth it just to save the headache and risk of messing it up yourself? if you can see in color and strip wires, and use electrical tape then you are all set for this easy to use solution. Please email me wih any questions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Mr. Clean, I think I ordered the repair DIN from you on eBay a short while ago. I came here a few months back asking about my control pod because I thought it was not working (my speakers showed a red light for standby and wouldn't power up). I opened up the subwoofer, everything looked pristine, I opened up the control pod and there was some glue material on the board, which you said was normal. So I'm assuming that it must be my DIN, so I'm going to replace the current one to see if I can get my speakers resurrected.

Someone is selling a new control pod on eBay and I am very tempted to ****** it, but I may see what happens with the DIN repair first.

Hey Mr. Clean, I think I ordered the repair DIN from you on eBay a short while ago. I came here a few months back asking about my control pod because I thought it was not working (my speakers showed a red light for standby and wouldn't power up). I opened up the subwoofer, everything looked pristine, I opened up the control pod and there was some glue material on the board, which you said was normal. So I'm assuming that it must be my DIN, so I'm going to replace the current one to see if I can get my speakers resurrected.

Someone is selling a new control pod on eBay and I am very tempted to ****** it, but I may see what happens with the DIN repair first.

Well, keep me posted on how things work out.

• 4 weeks later...

THANKS! I joined this forum just so I could come back and thank all of you for the help here and in the other threads related to this issue. They have been hissing and popping, the satellites would not power up or would only power up irregularly, and sometimes even gave out a high-pitched squeal. I thought the DIN receptacle on the woofer was wallowed out and causing the problem. Thanks to all of you, I recognized the issue as the male part of the plug (it's always the guy's fault, anyway...), bought the exact Dynex cable at Best Buy, matched the colors, and even learned how to solder (cough, well, sorta). Works great, and the wife is happy, which is always, always a good thing...

The cable is like $3 at Buy More (Best Buy), and the soldering iron and solder was about $10 at Radio Shack, but the experience of fixing it myself...priceless. I see that you still have the cables for sale on Ebay, and I'm sure they are much, much better than my attempt, so I'll probably order a set anyway. Thanks, again.

Although I'd recommend soldering them after you splice them,You can splice the wires together and then wrap electrical tape around the individual spliced wire ends without soldering them.You might consider purchasing some inexpensive wire nuts that will twist on the ends if you don't solder them, this is an inexpensive and easy solution. You just have to buy the right size. This will not look as good but will work well.

I spliced mine to test it first and then once I knew they worked, I decided to solder them for an even more solid connection and then taped the individual ends.

I spliced mine about 1/4 or maybe 1/2 inch.

My unit works great now! You're will as well.

Is there a place to just buy and replace the original cable?

Here is Mister_Clean's thread:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/95921.aspx?PageIndex=1

Here is one of the threads with information on this issue/repair:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/110556.aspx

Scroll up the first page of this thread itself and you'll see his offer posted as good through Jan 1, 2010, I think?

Here is just one of the Ebay pages that came back from doing a simple Google search for: Klipsch promedia 2.1 repair, but I'm not sure whose auctions they are.

http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_kw=Klipsch+ProMedia+THX+2.1+Control+Pod+DIN+PLUG+REPAIR

• 2 weeks later...

I too would like to express my thanks to Fendbass22. I broke the plug of while move the sub to do some clean. Will remember to remove it first from now on. The part from Best Buy is only 2.99 +tax. THe total repair took about an hour taking my time. These speakers sound great and did not want to go for another $250.00. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I want to agree with all here that these Pro-media 2.1 setup's are by far the best "bang for the buck" computer speakers available. I too have experienced this DIN plug problem on my set. I have replaced the plug twice over the past 5 years (1st time with a plug from radio shack, second time from best buy) and am now having to do it for a third time.

NOTE TO ALL DIY'S: The plugs from these retail stores will work for you, but seem to be quite temporary. These plugs are not any better quality than what was shipped with your system originally.

My Sub does get moved from time to time for cleaning which may lead to these problems, But I suspect that heat buildup (from the amplifier) is the much more likely to be the culprit.

Question for Mister_Clean: Hopefully your still reading this post. I have seen in other posts that you offer parts to do the repair ourselves, or will do the repair for us for EXTREMELY REASONABLE RATES!!!! What I'm wondering is: Do you sell your heavy duty 6 pin mini plug already installed on an 8-10 foot cable with the white 9-pin connector that plugs into the control pod? If you do..... I would like to purchase one. If not, would you consider making this a part of your business? I feel like this would be the the most permanent for all of us users that don't have the knowledge, experience, or accessibility to parts that you do. You would certainly be doing me a great service, and I am sure that many other users will come to you for a product like this. It truly could not be more simple for the end user. 4 phillips head screws and 1 plug----- much easier than cut-strip-solder-tape-shrink tape-test-bad connection (in my case, I'm terrible at soldering...lol) start over..........

If this is not something that you would be interested in, I fully understand. I will happily send you my pod (with or without cable) for repair. Judging from posts by other members, I fully respect your opinions and completely trust you with any repairs that I may need.

Thank you in advance

Ryc