Promedia 2.1 DIN cable DIY fix

Fendbass22

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been too busy to worry about it. the amount of work involved versus the profit margin is not very high so it is not high on my priority list. it is something i would like to eventually offer. But as of right now still has not been done. I did buy all the supplies needed to do it, but have not really hadthe time to get into it.

• 2 months later...

Hello thread... Just thought I would add my experience on this thread. I was just about to use Mr_clean to fix my cable, when I decided I wanted to solder something. It's been about 10 yrs since last time I soldered, and that was the first time I'd ever done it. So I don't know if what I did here was technically sound, but it worked anyway.

I just spliced the two cables together, but used solder on the joints. Then taped the crap out of it.

More interesting is how to use a multimeter to determine which wires went to which pins on the replacement (PS/2) cable.

Rather than having to buy a cable that someone has already reverse engineered, just..

Set multimeter to Ohms Rx1

Alligator clip each wire end in turn.

For each wire, test each pin on the DIN head until the needle moves.

Draw your pin map along the way...

post-48693-13819635299388_thumb.jpg

That is correct, it is exactly what i used to do, but I don't reverse engineer the pinout anymore, I just order cables with a color specific diagram so that it is much easier for the installer, green to green, yellow to yellow, brown to brown, black to black, red to red, orange to orange and shielding wire to shielding wire. I do recommend that people solder their wires when possible, but twisting them and taping them works just as well. No need for a Voltage meter. wire strippers and tape are the only tools needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had someone else say the same thing recently and he said he had to trip some plastic off the connector because it seemed to be stopping the plug from inserting into the metal plate cutout on the subwoofer, I am going to have to see if I can get a factory connector around here somewhere and check some dimensions and see what is going on, when I order these cables I order them in a specific color coding but other than that the connectors themselves are whatever the factory uses, I think that since 99% of the people do not have this issue it makes me wonder if the holes on the plates can vary slightly from one to another, but I will have to check on dimensions of the connectors themselves to see if there is something I can do to avoid this from happening again. But check and see if that is what is going on and we can go from there.

Hello,

I can also validate what others are saying. I purchased a cable from you a while back and had the same experience with the cable connector. I ended up trimming back the plastic casing until thre was almost none left and then I achieve a snug connection. If the metal part stuck out futher and connected to the pins correctly without having to trim the plastic, that would be ideal. The rest of the cable connect/repair went very well. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you know a good source for purchasing the control POD for this unit. The replacement cable works great however I've notice that the control POD is flaky lately and I'd like to replace it. Klipsch is currenly out of stock on it.

i have been following this thread for quite some time, and from what it sounds like mr_clean does nice work. props to him!

in the past few days i have been messing around trying to repair my mini DIN connection. first i resoldered a new 6pin mini DIN connection on the the board, but after i took it home from work, putting it back together and testing it, it still had the same type of issues. i would plug it in and get power to the control pod and only get one channel, and no sub. so i brought it back into work and had a new male end 6 pin mini DIN connection put on. as of now i have to go home and put it all back together and test it. i hope that was the problem and that fixed it.

As i'm getting ready to leave for the day, i was thinking more about how more and more people have the same problem, and how i can come up with a better type of connection that won't be so picky/fidgety and fail.

i haven't tested this or tried any of this, but i was thinking if i removed the mini DIN female connection from the board that's in the sub with just some wires that would come out about 3-4 inches and have a female PCI-e Power connector on it, then i could rewire my control pod plug to have the opposing 6 pin PCI-e male plug to it. that option seems like it would have a way better connection and would add a little bit of flexibility to where it connects into the board.

http://www.aerocooler.com/shop.cart?action=ITEM&prod_id=CBM6M6F

that is what i'm thinking of. basically, buy this connector, cut it in half. solder 6 of the wires right into the board after you have removed the 6 pin mini DIN connection from the board, then cut off the male mini DIN connection from the end of the control pod cable and wire that to the new male end of the PCI-e power cable

that way the connection would be PCI-e female to male. no more mini DIN at all.

i think this would solve alot of problems that people are having and restore full use of peoples' ProMedia 2.1's

if you look around online, there are schimatics of the control pod, and also the board that is in the sub, connected to the amp

it's time to leave work now, but i'll continue with this later tonight. please feel free to ask any questions that you might have

-Rob

• 4 months later...

Hi I'm having same problem with my din on back of sub being broken due to moving. I saw this thread and went to compusa and bought a ULTRA ps/2 cable extention.

But unfortunately none of the wire colors match the cable or any of the one's listed on here. Has anyone else run into this problem? I really want to get this fixed but can't figure out wireto pin configuration. Can't even get the manufacturer (ULTRA) to give it to me. Sheesh! If anyone else has run into this or knows how to help with this please let me know. Thanks.

Go back to page 3 of this group.. See my post on how to use the multimeter to match pins to wires. Map the pins/wires on your old damaged cable, then map them on the new cable. If you don't have a multimeter or any money, go see your retired neighbor.. You know, the one with the perfect yard. He has one.