are quintet 3's worth buying?

jwatson364

I highly doubt they will sound better than the F2's. I can't speak on the Polk's as I've never heard them. I think BB has a 30 day return policy. So if you do get them, and don't like them, just take them back. I've never heard the SL,s, but I doubt they're worth twice the price. Like I said, get the quintet's, and if you don't like them, take them back. The reviews look good!

Welcome,

Though the Quintets are a good speaker, if you crank up your music, or have a large area to listen they will fast make you upgrade.

If your looking at the F2's at BB check out the New V35's or V36's. Good bang for your buck.

Generally depends on your Budget, and listening tastes. Overall I think you'd be better off starting with a Larger speaker, thus cutting out the "Upgradites".......................

Good Luck.

bestbuy has them for 299 on sale, but will they sound better than a pair of polk audio monitor 70's or even a pair of f-2's?

I highly doubt it, as the Quintets are just a small satellite speaker whereas the F-2s are at least a full-size floor standing speaker. The Quintets do actually darn good, especially for the price, by they are no match to the F-2s or even the Polk Audio Mointor 70s. However, the Quintets do sound much better than the Bose Acousticmass 16, that are like three times the price. However, with the Quintet IIIs, you will need a subwoofer, such as the recommened Sub-10 (which at least you will be getting a "real" sub, not that crappy, so-called "bass module' ala Bose). With the F-2s, you probably could get away without one for now, but one is still highly recommended, esepcially for movies. Looking up BestBuy.com, the $300 for the Quintets, plus Sub-10 for $230 (also on sale), will put you up to $530 (factor in another $50 or so to cover taxes/shipping (if ordering on-line) and necessary wiring to hook it all up).

also, are the klipsch SL speakers worth twice the price than the quintet 3?

i have noticed the SL's can be bought for 599 at vanns....

thanks for your input!!!

Ultimately, that is for you to decide if it they are worth twice the price. However, with the SLs you are getting much better front and center speakers. Of course in an ideal world, you'd want to actually get to listen to these side-by-side and make up your own mind if one is worth the extra price over the other. Of course, you will still need the subwoofer, so that is something to factor into the total cost, assuming you don't already have a decent sub that you could use with them. Even still, these will probably still not be as good as something such as the F-2 and F-3 (I've listened to the F-3s myself, and was quite impressed with how good those sounded.)

To Add:

To be honost, after seeing what you got writtin in your sig-line, I'd say to just save up and get a pair of F-3s for now. You could alway add the other pieces as you get money later on down the road, thus building up a something really nice over time. Order I'd do it in: Start with the F-3 or whatever best pair of front mains you could afford (perhaps even the lower end of the Reference series, such as RF-52?). Once you got more money saved up, add the subwoofer. Then add the center and last, surrounds (heck, if you got a cheap/spare pair of speakers laying around doing nothing, use those as surrounds for now until get a decent pair that matches your mains). Caveat, some folks will suggest adding the center before the sub, by in my humble opinion, most modern recievers, such as the Denon you got, does a good job of creating a "phantom" center from your mains, wheras you must add a sub if you really want that bass.

For $299.99 I would say yes. For what they are(compact speaker system) they are very dynamic. Put them up against any HTIB or B**E system and they will trump them every time. Perfect system for a small space like a bedroom or college dorm. Just make sure you get a sub to go with them.

Bill