I'll never see my McIntosh MC30 - Ebay seller vanished - Lost $ 1.845

lorcoll

perhaps the good jc could pay a visit

Imagine the perp... when JC pulls up, all 6' 8" of him.... (he'd be wearing heels [:o]), wearing his surgical mask.... some of his 'hand tools' at the ready... [:|]

I'm sorry to hear about this presumed loss. Some folks simply deserve to have their gonads removed from their person.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the guy in Lagrange actually had them, perhaps the good jc could pay a visit. He's only 35 miles away.

Bruce

Guys.

That La Grange clown has had several McIntosh auctions. Since they are close by, they come up on my Ebay searches for McIntosh. When I would ask that guy questions about the equipment through Ebay...I always stated I was gonna bring some help and some cash to pick the amp up. He would never respond.

Sometimes the auctions would disappear.

This same La Grange guy is also the same one that has had classified listings for McIntosh amps. Remember not too long ago that there were a pair of MC1000 monoblock offered from an add in Arkansas but the seller lived in La Grange?? This listing was discussed on this forum. Same dude I'm sure.

jc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140278224359

Here is one I sent a question to and he didn't respond.

That classified that I was referring to was in Oklahoma and the seller was in La grange. My Bad. The domain of the classified was ....

fret-audio.com

Look at this...this BS classified is in La Grange.....No way a C2200 would go for $800.

http://fret-audio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=87

jc

I finally did end up with a beautiful pair

Hi Tim, Let me know when you are ready to send the babies back!! Those were by far the nicest ones I've seen and I have not been able to find any as nice!! We hope to have a second honeymoon in the Netherlands so we can visit. [:D]

Hi Joe! Good to hear from you again! Those babies will not be sent back, unless it is so they can be upgraded by you! Actually you can do it right here on your second honeymoon, while I take your wife out to dinner! [;)] Still very curious how Dave's sound. Seriously, You are more than welcome and I am looking forward to meeting you in person.

Further evidence that you should buy from a reputable dealer like www.audioclassics.com. Yea you will pay more, but the item is checked out and guarenteed!

I don't agree and if you are looking for a bargain and are handy at refurbing gear, ebay is still a great marketplace. Just use Paypal with credit card that allows you to reverse charges from a crooked merchant. Never a bank account.

You just have to know what you're doing!

If I were buying from a dealer, I would be more inclined to buy from McintoshAudio, at http://www.mcintoshaudio.com , since Terry DeWick does repair/refurbishing there also. He does superb work. The plus is I could easily drive up there and back in a day to deliver or pick something up.

Bruce

OWWWWWWWWWWCH[:#] NOT AGAIN.......

This is a movie I've seen before, unfortunately. The last one had a happy ending (that is, if you consider having to buy them a second time a happy ending....but he did get his amps) - but was a lesson in how not to lose $2000 on a pair of Mac amps via Ebay.

This deal here had ALL of the red flags: Communications outside of the Ebay email system, no recent sales from the "seller" to speak of (and NO transactions in the last year), and payment by a method that is NOT PayPal. This all involving an item that is notorious for scams - McIntosh is a HOT item on Ebay for such scams, possibly exceeded only by scams involving Super Bowl tickets.

Ebay can be a GREAT place to get such things. I hear people saying frequently "don't use Ebay, it's risky", etc. It's risky if the buyer isn't aware or careful, but can be a great place to obtain these rare items if one is PATIENT and knows how Ebay security works. And patience is the key - I will see 10 versions of an item before I find one I actually want and can feel secure in the transaction. I buy quite a bit of my vacuum tubes from Ebay, which is an item NOT recommended for the "inexperienced buyer". Yet if one is careful and knows what to look for and ask, it's a great resource. I'll do two months worth of searches with no purchases because none "fit the bill", but then several will come along that will be great deals. Patience really is a virtue with Ebay....

It is also worth mentioning that it's a good idea to ASK HERE FIRST if you have doubts about such a deal. Now it's perfectly understandable that one would not want to post "Hey, I see these awesome MC30s on Ebay that I want to buy" and alert every lurker here as to your tremendous "find" - but a more discreet, non-specific post such as "I need help on a pair of MC30s" or "I need help regarding safe purchase of a pricey Ebay item" might be worthwhile. There are ways to ask without "spilling the beans" on your prized items found. This forum is a TREMENDOUS resource if you use it. I STILL get questions and advice from posts I made two or more years ago about MC30s, from both here and AK - people who never post but find me and start asking questions....and with our "forum network" have found them all solutions. The aforementioned dealers (Audio Classics and Terry DeWick) ARE reasonable solutions too - but there ARE other options.

I sincerely hope that your efforts to investigate/reclaim the funds gets somewhere, but given my experience in observing such matters, I'm not optimistic.

The seller replied to the first questions directly through the Ebay auction.

I thought that the existence of a Bank account was a good thing (how can an african guy or a foreign person has a Bank account in the USA?).

Certainly I'll never do the same things in the future.

I agree that Ebay is a great place and I'll continue to buy there, but using more careful.

For now I cannot buy the MC30 again and I'll stay with my components (I must think that the 300B amp is better than the MC30 now).

This dream has vanished (like the seller) and will be for the future.

Lorenzo.

I reported this to Ebay, but haven't heard from them. I placed the Link here to explain the problem. The "Seller"s ebay account went from 100% to 0%.

I also explained that I think his ebay name was Hijacked.

I also sent emails to the Seller, but again haven't heard squat.......................

The seller's gotta be nervous by now, peering over his shoulder everywhere he goes...how can he enjoy his new-found money if he's wondering when or where he's gonna get caught? Certainly not worth the aggravation in my book!

Hope he has a helluva time sleeping at nights. Hope his guilty conscience is eating him alive!

A similar thing happened to me in 2003 on ebay. I won a brand new Harman Kardon 525 receiver from

a seller. He asked to be paid in Western union money order, which I did. The deal was about $460. 2 months

after payment and multiple emails, and never heard from him, I decided to report it to ebay.

A month later I got an email from ebay letting me know that the guy was cut by police in Texas for similar fraud. Strange thing is, he sent me back the same money order 2 months later, he never spent it