Good Bye my Friend

HarryO

Prayers for Rob, and prayers for his wife, Barb, and his family.

Prayers especially for Barb and his family. They will be second guessing every decision they made about the treatment...

I certainly miss his posts.If I had the money, I'd go to his funeral.

This is very sad news.

oldbuckster was one of the very 1st members to welcome me to the forum and as a matter of fact is the one who got me
officially into this "Madness".

When I was considering the Cornwall as a speaker that I would like to try, Rob pointed me toward Tuned4life and highly recommended
that I buy Doug's Corns.
Rob was right on the mark and subsequently, I was lucky enough to get help from OB many more time over the last year and a half.

Thank you Rob, RIP.

It has taken me three attempts and two days to write this and I am still only able to post a semi literate rambling. I did not know OB well, nothing beyond his posts, but I know well the battle he fought and lost. I can only hope as his time here came to a close, he was able to know peace and rest. I pray his family do not rehash decisions made and options selected to look for ways to second guess their choices, although knowing this battle I am sure they will. That is the final lingereing insult this disease deals family members, horror thoughts about choices made. RIP OB we will miss you and one day I hope to meet you on the other side.

R/Jim

• Like 2

Prayers for Rob, and prayers for his wife, Barb, and his family.

Prayers especially for Barb and his family. They will be second guessing every decision they made about the treatment...

I certainly miss his posts.If I had the money, I'd go to his funeral.

There's no second guessing about treatment. Rob was a Viet Nam veteran and used the VA as his primary medical care. The VA did NOT cover his $2,500 a month meds for his "rare disease" associated with his brain issues. That was partially covered by the family's private insurance.

Rob was a weekly regular like most vets to the VA when you start developing the common ailments associated with his service duty and exposures to certain items.

There was less than a one month period between full scans that should have detected this. I'm not a doctor but I doubt it would have made much difference. Sadly, it happens. I've seen it a handfull of times the last few years. Some health concerns are NOT even discussed at the VA and even disputed simply because of lack of genuine testing and open results. It's a "head in the sand" issue that probably will go unacknowledged for another generation or so until the issues are actually documented and the commonalities are too great to ignore or "brush aside"

Rob was adamant about his keeping his appointments, treatments, testing, and his meds went down like clockwork. It happens. I guess there's always second guessing, 20-20 hindsight etc, but in this case his standard VA treatments just missed it. It's the system he lived in and died in. It's all too common and has been going on for over 40 years and probably another 40 years before it changes.

Hereditary weakness? who knows. Rob was an orphan and didn't know much about his real parents. He was raised by "good" parents he respected for taking him in.

Rob worked hard for his family. A solid factory worker with values, ethics, honor code, and love of country.

I don't know of anyone that loved his wife and kids anymore than he did. His words: "I'm a very lucky man to have a wife and family that loves me so much. I couldn't ask for better than what I've been given".

He always counted his blessings and didn't complain even when given the word he would die fast and miserably. The only thing I heard from him was... "I've got too much to do still. I'm not ready to die"

Many times he'd tell me how blown away he was about the Scott amp this forum helped him get. He was still amazed at the generosity from the Klipsch forum. It was tough on him not being able to sit at the PC and turn on the "OB" alter ego. Dammit, he loved this place and was his favorite escape once his health turned for the worse. He loved the Scott like it was the highest honor that could be bestowed on a man. Loved the CWs with it. You'll never know how appreciative he was over the Scott. He didn't know how to relay the "thanks to a bunch of strangers that turned out to be family"

He was a tough old bird. He held on long enough for his family to be with him at the end. His kids and grandson finally got to the hospital to say their goodbyes. His best friend played "Wild Horses" for him and he was gone.

• Like 3

"His best friend played "Wild Horses" for him and he was gone."

Damm Harry- I was okay until you said that. WOW that is some powerful stuff.

The dam just burst over here....I just got back from a weekly Friday noon visit with a 53 year old friend who used to run triathalons. He's being consumed by cancer too. He speaks of gratitude for the life he's led.

Why does it sometimes take the passing of a man to realize his greatness and humanity?

Michael

• Like 2

"His best friend played "Wild Horses" for him and he was gone."

Damm Harry- I was okay until you said that. WOW that is some powerful stuff. 

The dam just burst over here....I just got back from a weekly Friday noon visit with a 53 year old friend who used to run triathalons. He's being consumed by cancer too. He speaks of gratitude for the life he's led. 

Why does it sometimes take the passing of a man to realize his greatness and humanity?

Michael

Me too....I'm blubbering like a little girl........

Rob really took a liking to my male bulldog....I forwarded him a bunch of pics....and thats what really sucked me into this forum.......now everytime I look at my "Bodhi" I can't help but to think of Rob.........

i think i could have stared at the keyboard for hours without knowing what to write. OB...Rob...may GOD be with you my friend. I'm sorry I can't think of anything fancy or profound to say right now...I miss you and pray for your friends & family.

It brought tears to my eyes to see your avatar earlier. I hope we can somehow incorporate your avatar into this website, maybe a section to remember those members that have, like Rob, started on a brand new journey.

This is the second time this week that I've had to deal with death (my son in law's father committed suicide this past tuesday).

Sometimes this all just gets a bit too much to understand; but, I'm glad that I don't have to understand everything...I know that God knows exactly what He is doing.

Goodbye my friend.

Steve

It's been 3 months since you last posted on this forum

you tried to sneak off wiith out saying good bye

alas, we noticed and you were missed

and you will not be forgotton

I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

One time I accidentally called him "Old Buckster". He laid into me. It was an accident. I like to think he really wasn't offended, just wanted an excuse to lay into me cuz it amused him. :)

God Speed OB

Lisa, rest assured, I'm sure Rob wasn't offended... just playing a bit as his alter ego Oldbuckster EH!

I've been watching the posts in the Oldbuckster Update thread and new that Good Bye my Friend menat Rob had left us. Like others, I've kind of avoided posting anything as I'm deeply saddened and well, couldn't think off anything to post. Even glanced though the few emails we'd exchanged though that's been a few hours ago and had some thoughts. Then read Seti's post with OB's avatar the final link to CDs better than vinyl thread or something like that where Rob had said he got his first CD player and the Led Zeppelin boxed set and was done with vinyl - a little too much to post then as I had picked up a Led Zeppelin 4 CD box set earlier on Black Friday. I'm sure I'll think about Rob everytime I listen to it and I'm sure that won't be the only thing that brings up his memory.

Rob, we'll miss you here for many things. To me at least you've been something of a BS-o-meter, always telling it like you see it, as you believe, and often as it is. Reminding us all that IT'S ABOUT THE MUSIC on at least a couple of occasions.... long before I joined and that right may be different for all of us.

Rob has a lot of music I like... and don't have... a lot of music I'd thought that I'd like but never tried. And at least a few we both really like, especially The Neville Brothers' Live On Planet Earth (yes my good friend, we are all Neville Brothers and all God's children). Sent me some Traffic and Dave Mason to try and I sent him some Bob Seger and Little Village - it was Bob Seger he liked, Live Bullet, but he never did say anything about Little Village. I was a little surprised that I liked the Dave Mason better than Traffic. I was not really familiar with Traffic but with Steve Winwood and Dave Mason I thought I'd really like it. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike it and it's very interesting just didn't hit me in the gut with a man, I really like this. Rob says give it six months. I'm a little slow, but I suspect at some time I'll mature musically or something and it'll be like, man, I've got to get more of this.

In our few emails, Rob had said he's not really as cranky or cantankerous as he might have been perceived here but just felt he needed to speak up for reason once in a while or defend himself as I think he did get a bit put off by some of the overly personal sounding attacks. And I definitely agree with his statements sometime that there's not really right or wrong, it's what one likes that matters. If we all really want to honor Rob's memory, we can try to be nice about it the next time we call on another an idiot. I think most of the seemingly hateful posts aren't really intended so they just sound that way.

I guess I never will get a chance to hear the Neville Brothers' "Sister Rosa" on Rob's Cornwalls played through his Scott but I'm glad I was ble to meet him even just a little and consider him a friend. Rob said the bass line on "Sister Rosa" is amazing on his Cornwalls powered by the Scott.

Rob, may you rest in peace or maybe more appropriately rock on for all eternity and save me a seat along with HarryO and others. If the music in heaven is as we know it, then maybe we can all groove to the Neville Brothers performing "Sister Rosa" live in the hereafter. I'm sure I'll lose it should I get a chance to see / hear them perform it live.

Prayers and best wishes for you and your very dear family and friends to get through this most difficult time. May God wrap His arms around them and give them the strength and courage to forge ahead with the rest of their lives as I'm sure your moving on to eternity has left a big hole in their hearts.

Ben

OMG! I've been away a while and I just learned of this! We have truly lost a good friend in Rob, a fellow hockey fan. I will think of OB often. This forum has seemed emptier without his words the past few months.May God bless him and his family. [A]