Way Off Topic: Any 1911 Shooters on the Forum?

Deang

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold every gun I had, and of course now that I'm getting the itch to shoot again, I don't have anything to shoot. So, I went over to Vandalia Tactical on Tuesday and ended up being there for over 3 hours. There is a lot of new stuff out since I last looked, and I handled just about all of it. Seems no matter how good the new stuff is, I always end up nailed down at the 1911 counter. I've owned more of them then I can remember. The Glocks, Sigs, and H&K's always get sold off, but until last year always kept my 1911 -- which was a Les Baer. That's a level a quality I can no longer afford, but it's amazing how close you can get these days for half the money. The new Taurus was a real surprise.

http://www.christiangunowner.com/taurus1911_review.html

It's amazing how sales went up right after the elections. (Not to be political with that, it's just a fact)

I stuck with a 9mm and got a Beretta M9, which handles quite smoothly. I don't do reloads, and the 9mm is a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the link to the review, Dean,

I shot one of those a few years back....was at a demo with the Taurus execs (we did some catering for the head honchos in MIA....so they treated us to a day at the range)

Very nice gun...off course we all couldn't stop shooting the Kazul...I think they call it the raging bull now......geeze thats not a hand gun, it's a hand cannon!

l

I was stupid...they offered me what ever I wanted at import cost...should have taken them up on it......but I didn't have my permanent address in Florida yet and it would have been a pain to get my CWP.....I did get a groovy Taurus pocket knife!!!

Dean,

I shoot and carry the 1911 models. I carry a Kimber Custom 2, shoot an Elite, and hunt/camp/fish with the Desert Warrior. I also have numerous Colt, Springfield, and a couple of various military models of different manufacturers.

I won't depend on anything else.

You can pick up a Kimber Custom 2 (Same model the U.S. Marines are using now) for around $700. It's already built with the custom goodies you have to buy and install with the other models. hand fitted barrel, link, full length guide rod, custom fully adjustable trigger assemble, and very good out of box sights. Deadly accurate. Blows my 220 Sig away as far as accuracy goes.

Harry

It's amazing how sales went up right after the elections. (Not to be political with that, it's just a fact)

I stuck with a 9mm and got a Beretta M9, which handles quite smoothly. I don't do reloads, and the 9mm is a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the link to the review, Dean,

Sales are through the roof right now -- gun manufacturers must secretly love it when a Liberal gets voted in.

The M9 is a good shooter, and yeah, 9mm costs a lot less to shoot. I'll probably pick up a 9mm in late spring, I imagine I'll be looking at the other Browning design for that. )

Kimber Custom II and a SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX...both massaged by my friend Teddy Jacobson...nothing feels like a 1911...

Bill

That's kind of the problem for those of us who have been shooting them most of our natural lives -- nothing else feels like a 1911. The new H&K's are really nice and I was dead set on buying one -- until I gravitated towards the 1911 counter.

I handled several GSR models, all pretty nice with the standard fit and finish you get with a SIG. There wasn't anything not to like about them, and the sub compact was part of my final three when I was trying to make a choice.

They had two Kimbers: on one, trigger was loose and had a lot of slop, the second had a grip safety that had too much distance between the frame -- it didn't look "fitted", more like an aftermarket part just tacked on.

Dude, if you buy the Taurus 1911, someone gone tell ya that its not the same as the Colt 1911, its like that Crown debate all over again,...

lol, well, that's exactly what it's like. The discussions on the firearms forums get as ludicrous as some over here.

45acp isn't any more expensive to shoot than 9mm.

Think about this...

Why has the 45acp survived the military needs since 1902? J.Browning was THE firearms designer. I know of no other designer that has two designs still used by the U.S. Military in the same basic configuration as the original design. 45 acp and .50 caliber Browning.

If you buy a gun to shoot cans with, any model or caliber will do. If you buy a gun to defend yourself it's a whole different game.

Again, it's all subjective but as a combat veteran I'll have nothing but a quality 45acp to depend on to protect my family, self, and property.

Harry

Dean,

I shoot and carry the 1911 models. I carry a Kimber Custom 2, shoot an Elite, and hunt/camp/fish with the Desert Warrior. I also have numerous Colt, Springfield, and a couple of various military models of different manufacturers.

I won't depend on anything else.

You can pick up a Kimber Custom 2 (Same model the U.S. Marines are using now) for around $700. It's already built with the custom goodies you have to buy and install with the other models. hand fitted barrel, link, full length guide rod, custom fully adjustable trigger assemble, and very good out of box sights. Deadly accurate. Blows my 220 Sig away as far as accuracy goes.

Harry

I can't shoot the Sigs very good, and I've never been able to figure out why. I've even had people watch me shoot them to help me figure out what the deal is -- I can hit center mass but that's about it.

I've never had much luck with the Colts, and I just stay away from them now. I used to have a Combat Elite and a Gold Cup, and both gave me nothing but trouble. The store had a very nice looking Combat Elite, and when I pulled the slide back it had a catch in it somewhere along the rails (a nice grinding sound). I locked the slide and looked at the feed ramp, and saw one of the worst polishing jobs I'd ever seen. I handed the gun back to the guy and told him he needed to send it back to the factory before he sold it to anyone.

I'm not the biggest fan of the full length guide rods, mostly because they make stripping a pain, and they really don't add much accuracy to an already well built 1911. They can also be a source of barrel link factures/failures and can cause feeding problems. People like them because of the little bit of additional accuracy they provide, but you're only ever going to notice it if shooting from the bench with a rest. If shooting Weaver or Off-hand, the "accuracy" of the gun already exceeds the "accuracy" of most shooters.

I didn't buy the Taurus, or any of the other better known 1911 models. I'll try to get some pics up before the day is out.

Interestingly...... Special Operations Command specifies the HK-USP Mk-23 in .45, or the SIG P225 as opposed to the 9mm. The military is also looking at replacing the 9mm and going back to eitherthe 45 or a 40 caliber. The 9 just does not have the knockdown power or accuracy of the 45. Had 45's forever, then a Beretta..., now a MK-23. Very nice!!!

Sheriff's Office issues a .40 Glock, but I don't really like it that much. Round is "hot" and recovery for accurate placement of multiple "taps" is difficult. The 45 is much easier to control.

Just some thoughts.

Dean,

I'm in basic agreement with you on all points.

Colt dropped the ball after the '70 series full frame. They haven't been the same since. My last Colt was the Gold Cup National Match '70 series and it took almost $1,100.00 to make it shoot up to it's capabilities.

I was talked into buying a "plain jane" Kimber full size. Out of the box it was excellent. I had to set the sights on it but after 10 rounds it was a nail driver at 30 YDS not feet. (S&B ammo is my preferrence. Clean, uniform, dependable. Over 30,000 rds and never an issue. Clean. 5-7 boxes before the accuracy starts radically decaying. WAS cost effective also)

I buy the Kimber now. Out of box I haven't seen a gun to beat them for dependability or accuracy. I had a custom Springfield built for competition shooting. High buck, superb accuracy, but nothing I would carry or depend on.

The Sig 220 is a good gun. The handle "hump" and double action drop it down on my list of favorites. Also, I've had some finish problems (oxidation/rust) on the Sig. My main back up is the Sig 232 and it's very accurate out to about 15 yards. Dependable.

I've got an 8 year old at home and safety is foremost in my mind. KEEP IT IN MIND!!!!!!!

Full length guide rods are only as good as the smith installing them. Aftermarket "One size fits all" is NOT the way to go unless you're competent modifying firearms. It's a definite skilled trade.

The 1911 is a great design. As good as it gets for a semi auto. Downside is every Tom, Dick, and Harry is making aftermarket "improvements" for them. Everyone is copying the disign and making their own "1911". Most are decent guns. Too many "pretenders" of questionable quality. Few have produced equal or surpassed quality over the original.

Still, the 1911 is a gun I can pick up in the middle of the night, half asleep, and not worry. It's an extension of my hand I've carried for 41 years now and will rely on until they close the box on my carcass.

Harry

It was the gun my father always traveled with and the one that was always loaded (all guns are until you personally check them to prove otherwise) in the house for protection. My grandfather carried one in WWI, gave it to my father, and I inherited it when my father passed away. I love it, but I also love my Glock .45 acp I inherited as well.

If I were buying a 1911 variant right now I wouldn't buy the SiG (when I bought it the price was VERY attractive and it had options I thought I wanted...since then I know different...at least I wouldn't pay for these options)...my Kimber is very nice but as I mentioned, I had them gone over by a pistol smith I trust my life to and anthing that needed changing was changed...I went function over fashion because for me...that's what counts...look at Springfield...I had a "basic Mil-Spec" (which it isn't) that again was improved with parts from Teddy jacobson...it started with good stock though for the basic 1911A1...I hear good things about Taurus so that too may be the route to go today...good luck...I have SiG, GLOCK, etc. and mostly carry GLOCK for duty (GLOCK 21SF in .45ACP 'natch) GLOCKs are tanks and always perform but to me, nothing in the world feels like home to me like a 1911...

Bill