Way Off Topic: Any 1911 Shooters on the Forum?

Deang

Colt US Army 1911 and Colt 1991. Serial number on the 1911 indicates it was manufactured around 1913. Bought it from my division officer in 1972. He had bought it at a government auction for $25. Still shoots great, but now I mainly use the 1991. To keep the cost down, I reload my own ammo with a Dillon reloader. The gun I'm most accurate with is my .44 magnum Ruger Vaquaro. Its a cannon and I can only handle around 3 cylinders worth before my hands get too sore.. [:D]

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colt US Army 1911 and Colt 1991. Serial number on the 1911 indicates it was manufactured around 1913. Bought it from my division officer in 1972. He had bought it at a government auction for $25. Still shoots great, but now I mainly use the 1991. To keep the cost down, I reload my own ammo with a Dillon reloader. The gun I'm most accurate with is my .44 magnum Ruger Vaquaro. Its a cannon and I can only handle around 3 cylinders worth before my hands get too sore.. Big Smile

Joe,

Dillon makes nice stuff but, Your not going to convince me that you bought a dillon to save money on reloads unless you shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year.

Reloading for accuracy, now that I will buy into.

Reloading to relax and take the stress out, that I will buy into.

Reloading to save mone?? I'd buy into that if you told me you had a LEE press. I'd also think you were a gluton for punishment, but don't tell me you own dillon to save money!![Y]

Roger

Ah!!! the fond memories of wheel weights, pots, ladles, molds, primer removal punches, powder in cans, primers, and little scoops, etc. I had a hand held reloading die tool for my old Model 29 .44 and my 1911 .45 cal many, many years ago. It was actually great fun. Probably not cost effective, but is was really neat!!! The reloads were not as hot as a brand NIB round, but they were pretty accurate!!!. We'd head to the local tire place, get about 20 pounds of wheel weights and head to the range. Great fun. Can't remember the name of those little hand dies, but they are still around.

Colt US Army 1911 and Colt 1991. Serial number on the 1911 indicates it was manufactured around 1913. Bought it from my division officer in 1972. He had bought it at a government auction for $25. Still shoots great, but now I mainly use the 1991. To keep the cost down, I reload my own ammo with a Dillon reloader. The gun I'm most accurate with is my .44 magnum Ruger Vaquaro. Its a cannon and I can only handle around 3 cylinders worth before my hands get too sore.. Big Smile

Joe,

Dillon makes nice stuff but, Your not going to convince me that you bought a dillon to save money on reloads unless you shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year.

Reloading for accuracy, now that I will buy into.

Reloading to relax and take the stress out, that I will buy into.

Reloading to save mone?? I'd buy into that if you told me you had a LEE press. I'd also think you were a gluton for punishment, but don't tell me you own dillon to save money!!Yes

Roger

Ok... ya got me! I do actually enjoy controlling the loads and it's something I do to relax. I started reloading about 38 years ago using my Dad's hand Lee loader. I thought I was doing good loading a round every couple of minutes, or so.. [:D] I inherited the Dillon 550 from my Dad, with dies for everything I shoot.. 30-30, .44 mag, .44 special, 357, 38, and .45 acp. Now if I could just convince my wife to load the bulk stuff for me... [Y]

Harry, I didn't see anything in Roger's initial post that indicated he didn't know what he was doing. It's not unusual to see reloaders using big frame revolvers pushing the envelope -- that's a sport in and of itself.

I think the requirements and level of training for those who carry in public or enage in combat are different than for those who punch paper, "plink", and use the weapon strictly for home defense. The latter hardly need to spend time on an "Urban Combat Course" to be considered competent and proficient with a firearm for that specific purpose.

Harry, I didn't see anything in Roger's initial post that indicated he didn't know what he was doing. It's not unusual to see reloaders using big frame revolvers pushing the envelope -- that's a sport in and of itself.

I think the requirements and level of training for those who carry in public or enage in combat are different than for those who punch paper, "plink", and use the weapon strictly for home defense. The latter hardly need to spend time on an "Urban Combat Course" to be considered competent and proficient with a firearm for that specific purpose.

Dean,

Thanks for the back-up. [H]

Harry sent me an email and it is all good now, thanks..... Roger

Interestingly...... Special Operations Command specifies the HK-USP Mk-23 in .45, or the SIG P225 as opposed to the 9mm. The military is also looking at replacing the 9mm and going back to eitherthe 45 or a 40 caliber. The 9 just does not have the knockdown power or accuracy of the 45. Had 45's forever, then a Beretta..., now a MK-23. Very nice!!!

Sheriff's Office issues a .40 Glock, but I don't really like it that much. Round is "hot" and recovery for accurate placement of multiple "taps" is difficult. The 45 is much easier to control.

Just some thoughts.

Groomlake, I hate to disagree with you, but I feel I must.

I started my career carrying a S&W 686, w/ .38+P ammo with two speedloaders. Talk about "Old School". I felt like I was Wyatt Earp going against the Isrealli Army.

We finally had the opportunity to use the Glock Mid sized 9MM (can't remember the model #). The weaker officers had a hard time with limp wrist stove pipes, the entire time we carried those miserable excuses for a bullet. One of the veterans claimed the 9MM was "Non-Lethal Force". I didn't know the difference at the time.

Then we got an offer to swap our 9MM's for Brand new .40 S&W. (For Free). This was during the time when high capacity magazines were just outlawed. Seems that they could be sold to the general public if they were used, but not new. The company that traded with us made out like a bandit. Just think about it,,, 4 mags per pistol @ $100.00 per mag.

Back to the story. The new .40 actually improved my qualification scores, and all of the weaker shooters improved also, and NO MORE STOVEPIPES!!!.

Not to mention much improved fluid shockwave motion.

I have to say, I've never held a pistol that feels quite as good as a GLOCK.

Just my two cents.

bullet weight and charge contribute to slide velocity...sometimes masks problems...some feel the .45ACP is a push while the .40 S&W is snappy...I fall into this group...I find the .45ACP in most pistols to be far more comfortable to shoot than .40 S&W..357SIG was pretty snappy as well as 115 +P+/124 +P+ in 9MM too...

Bill

Plummer: You are correct in your analysis as to the "feel" for the Glock. For alot of folks, the Glock just "feels" better and by consequence, they can shoot better. It's likely the wrist and arm geometry.

For me, the Glock probably places more "mass" above and behind my thumb area, thus I do better with the "forward" weighted pistols. Folks on the Dept who consistently shot "low" on the 2nd+ rounds with previous weapons found that during the great "transition" phase to the Glocks, they tended to be more vertically correct on the placements.

Others (like me....) tended to rise up slightly. It was a learning curve, and slowly but surely, after burning up alot of ammo..., was back on track. When I "ditched" the Glock and replaced it with the HK, placement (and rapidity in the recovery for the 2nd+ rounds), was better and back to where it was.

But then again, it's the shooter's preference. Personally, I really like the Glock, it's extremely well made, reliable, etc. it's just not quite what I want. Oh well, Ford truck vs Chevy truck? LOLOL!!!

Plummer: You are correct in your analysis as to the "feel" for the Glock. For alot of folks, the Glock just "feels" better and by consequence, they can shoot better. It's likely the wrist and arm geometry.

For me, the Glock probably places more "mass" above and behind my thumb area, thus I do better with the "forward" weighted pistols. Folks on the Dept who consistently shot "low" on the 2nd+ rounds with previous weapons found that during the great "transition" phase to the Glocks, they tended to be more vertically correct on the placements.

Others (like me....) tended to rise up slightly. It was a learning curve, and slowly but surely, after burning up alot of ammo..., was back on track. When I "ditched" the Glock and replaced it with the HK, placement (and rapidity in the recovery for the 2nd+ rounds), was better and back to where it was.

But then again, it's the shooter's preference. Personally, I really like the Glock, it's extremely well made, reliable, etc. it's just not quite what I want. Oh well, Ford truck vs Chevy truck? LOLOL!!!

Glock is also a nice gun for women, limp wristed men, and those who don't practice much, because of it's lightness, it is more like pointing your finger then pointing a brick like my Red Hawk is. I have recomended .45 ACP Glocks to three of my friends who bought them for home defense. Lately, I have tried to talk a friend into buying a Taurus Judge specifically for his wife when he is not home. His wife is shall we say larger than average and has been a liscensed massage therapist for over 20 years. .410 snub nose would make up for some lack of practice and wall penetration would be safer.

Roger

Glock is also a nice gun for......... those who don't practice much, because of it's lightness, it is more like pointing your finger

That's what I was saying.... It's balanced in such a fashion that requires a complete "getting used to", especially if you have been shooting revolvers, 1911 "slabs", etc. for many years.

I was agreeing with you, but via a different word context. Some might take offense to my choice of words/description of who I would recomend it for, but I believe my description to be accurate/factual.

Roger

Interestingly, remember the HK P-9 from back in the 70's?, looked like a gigantic Glock? I had a chance to shoot one and the German police & military had bought a bunch. Quite large and the center of gravity was even further back towards the wrist. Accurate, but it was too big in overall dimensions. Was a great weapon with a silencer.......

Some other considerations as I did not read these in prior posts;

The only round to make it velocity potential in short (3") barrels is the 9mm. Cor-Bon 115 gr +P+ will approximate .357 ballistics with velocities in the 1200fps and above range. It was considered the #3 stopping power load (behind #1 .357 magnum 125 gr and #2 .45 acp 230 gr).

There are basically 2 schools of thought in real world center mass stopping power statistics. Large caliber with less velocity (like the 230 gr .45) or smaller caliber with higher velocity (like the 125 gr .357). Kind of like a boulder being tossed into a pool versus a rock. Some like the .45 while others are more comfortable with the .357. From those are morphed calibers like the .40 which tries to do both in a compromise by either using a 135 grain or a 180 grain - yet neither is quite as good as the original. .45's require a 5" barrel to maximize velocity of a 230 grain bullet to around 950 fps while a .357 requires a 4" barrel to maximize the velocity of a 125 grain to nearly 1350 and a 6" barrel to see the premium stopper of 1450fps.

Obviously daily carry and concealment force citizens to make compromises both in weight and size. Thus rounds like the 9mm in packages like the Kahr K9 with its 3" barrel and +P+ rating using Cor-Bon 115 grain rounds - can be very attractive. However a "commander" style 1911 with its "officer" frame (in aluminum) and full length 5" barrel, giving full advantage to the 230grain (Federal Hydra-shok) round at 950 fps is a powerful alternative - and it logs in nearly 90-92% one shot stops in actual real life officer shootings.

My personal preference has consistently been the comander sized pistol in .357 sig. The nose profile of the .40 caliber brass necked down to accept a 125 grain jacketed hollow point - virtually eliminates any potential for a mis feed. Add in the capacity advantage over a standard 6 shot revolver and the concealment ability of the slab side, and one has a proven 96% one shot stopper - based on past data. Of course nothing matters if the tool user is not familiar with their tools or not familiar with the need to use gross motor skills (as opposed to fine motor skills) as the heart rate increases to exceed 125 bpm during a fight or flight event. Training is paramount as is preparation.

Here's one I used to use in competition that I (re)built from the ground up. Started out life as Colt Gold Cup Series 80 but now is a Series 70. Holster is a Safariland 008 and my daily belt is a Galco.

Here's the stats:

Millett Series 100 Sights w/ dual crimp front.

Heine Match bbl. w/ Dual-Port compensator. Milled bottom of compensator. Action job with 2 3/4 lb. trigger pull. Shim for Series '70 conversion. King's Rod guide (2 piece). King's extended slide stop. King's extended thumb safety. Videki Adjustable trigger. Smith and Alexander Extended grip safety. Smith and Alexander Extended magazine release with spring. Smith and Alexander Flat mainspring housing with magazine well. Hogue smooth Pau Ferro Wood grips with S&A contour. Inletting of wood grips to clear slide stop. Narrow slot grip screws. Wilson 47DE magazines with bumper pads (x2). Bullseye Internal spring kit. Wilson case extractor. Wilson Extended ejector. Dura-Chrome full gun plating. Four finger trigger spring.

Although I'm allowed to, I don't carry this one CCW.

Owned pretty much every one out there. Ed Brown makes the best but the price is a joke. That leave 3 choices

Kimber-kimber- and kimber- only a question of which one to choose. Gold Combat II here. S W E E T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other stuff- HK UPS- 45 tact,9MM, 40 S&W Smith PD 340 Smith 500 mag smith 329 .44 mag Lots of old Colts and Brownings

Win 21 3 bbl set 20/28/410 - Perazzi SC-3/SC0 2 bbl set- Varoius Browning Superposed and Citioris -5 benellis- Win 23s

Collection of pre 64 model 70s-assorted Styers-kimber and old browning 22s-Colt AR 15s- Bushmaster carbon 15-

Swarovski glass on everything except 1 Schmitt bender