All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. As long as it’s a good working K-55 you wouldn’t tell a difference.
  3. Low wattage amps are enough power for a lot of Klipsch users due the the high sensitivity of the speaker and size. It is like a sports car, just because it can most people won't be running their system that hard toward clipping. With room gain of easy 10 db, there is some free headroom. .
  4. Today
  5. What vehicle? I know in my Jeep if the fob battery dies you just press the Start/Stop button with the fob to start it. In some vehicles with a Start/Stop button if you pop the button out you can insert the fob and turn it to start the car.
  6. I used to have that Combo Perhaps we should discuss. 🙂
  7. Unused power is just that, unused, no magic pixie dust in it. I can say without hesitation 8 watts is plenty of power for me and clipping is not a problem. Much more power has been tried and found not to be needed at my less than live concert listening levels. More power to you if that's your desire, but I'm not going to tell someone else they need more power and that it's going to transform their system. If they are happy with what they have and hear no signs of clipping all is good, no sense in losing sleep. Many have gone down in quantity and up in quality and experienced worthwhile improvements.
  8. Ok tweeter diaphragms replaced with a Crites kit! Sounding good! Now I need to replace one K-55m, the question is do I get a pair of Crites kits, or do I hunt down a single working K-55m? Is it bad practice to get them individually like that? Like a chance of some imbalance?
  9. I did scroll my Dave1291 but have to figure out how to get into my old account. I'm pretty sure I have it but not really positive. Think we exchanged them when I went out to Phoenix to see the youngest. That means nothing since I didn't have time to head south so we never talked. I dunno but I hope his ears are burnin! Survived the tornado damage. Did some nosin w/the rest of the town this evening and there was quite a bit more damage than I thought. Made the CBS evening news tonight and the Columbus CBS affiliate, which suprised me. There were 3 EF1's and two EF0's in Ohio. This one was one of the EF 1's. The other two EF 1's were up around Cleveland. The EF 0's down in Southern Ohio. Drove by my old place, which was a 2 story double brick built in 1917. I loved that house. Rock solid, hot water heat and quarter-sawn oak with all the old pocket doors and oak cabinets in the kitchen. The veneer was absolutely beautiful. No cracks and done the right way. Had a maple in the back yard and planted some blue spruce on the side to block some of the noise & view from a school across the street. They're prolly a good 30' tall now cause the guy never topped them out. End result? Two are on a major lean being held up by some power lines. They're gonna have to go. Every lil out building ppl had was history along with a few unattached garages and trees down everywhere. Then the house pic I posted. The 2 story building downtown next to Wendys had no roof along with 4-5 other buildings downtown. Then it went right across into the residential side of older homes close by w/more damage.eventually headed outta town and lifted up. Crazy for sure.
  10. Cool John, thinking alright, he knows we await...
  11. Not that I've heard @billybob
  12. JohnJ

What I Got Today!

Sound quality improved today! 80% wool at a much better price than 100% would have been. 1/4" pad with 1" rug on top, will cut some of the pad scraps to level the 301s out again. So funny to think what 301 used to signify in a speaker to me when I was 20 something😂
  13. May have missed. Any handle on grasshopper...
  14. The battery in my key fob died today. I did not find a way to get my ride started with that key that comes in it so I'm stuck again. Nothing in the manual, piece of plastic put in the dash where it could have been for the previous years model. Yikes, prime did come in handy with more than movies and tv shows. Got next day delivery for this.
  15. Another of the Greats! Thanks for contributing good music to my life! RIP Mr Betts
  16. ...Like our society, economy, our freedoms & our country.
  17. I knew I read that, but was in a hurry earlier so I didn't have time to locate it. Thanks
  18. Marvel

What I Got Today!

That would be TDL!
  19. Eight watts is not much power , it’s a level of power that will leave many systems prone to clipping, especially at any appreciable distance. Certain music and special effects can be enhanced to an exhilarating level of pleasure and intensity when played loud . We may not want to listen at the higher levels for long , but sometimes shear unclipped power is the secret recipe for delivering a moving and memorable experience . All things being equal ,power is a good thing ,as is the high efficiency that our speakers deliver .
  20. Quit with the politics. Ruins everything.
  21. Am I to infer the twice the rated power handling comes into play at high volumes when demanding everything from the speaker/amp? So would it be safe at lower volumes to use a lower powered amp?
  22. The benefit is called "headroom". Any piece of music will vary in amplitude. Those intermittent, briefly louder instances are called "peaks", and require more power from the amplifier. So if your amp is playing at level "X" one of those peaks will come along and demand more of the amp's power to reproduce the louder signal. If the amp maxes out trying to faithfully reproduce that brief peak it will "clip", which means if you looked at the waveform on an oscilloscope it would look like an undulating wave but the tops and the bottoms of the wave will be flat. These flat portions indicate the amp is operating beyond its limits, which can damage the amp. If an amp has headroom, it has more power than is needed to reproduce those peaks. Some people consider headroom the ability to briefly generate considerably more power than its continuous output rating. Fair enough. Whether your amp has plenty of reserve power to drive your speakers or merely has the headroom to briefly reproduce those peaks the result is the same. Conversely, most speakers are rated in "Continuous" watts. Which means they can tolerate some peaks beyond that continuous rating as long as the amp has enough headroom to reproduce the wave faithfully. If the amp clips even if its output rating is below the continuous wattage rating of your speakers, when the amp generates that flat section described above, it is sending a DC voltage to your speakers. This is bad and if long enough in time can damage your speakers. The solution is to keep the volume down to a point where you don't hear distortion, even on those intermittent peaks. As long as you don't, you're not pushing your amp or speakers beyond their limits and risking damage to one or both.
  23. An album released in 1986 Artist - Peter Gabriel Title - So Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/379036-Peter-Gabriel-So
  1. Load more activity