Ceiling vrs Wall

BlueMonk

I am building a home and will install a distributed audio system. Absolutely, this will not be my primary listening system. I just like to have music going at all times. Anyway, can anyone compare and contrast their experiences with the Klipsch in wall and in ceiling speakers. The specs don't tell me much and I don't know which route to go. Does one sound better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

If your building your house refer to Arttos threads or my recent one about isolation of k horns in the corner. The correct proportions and lay out can save a lot of headaches. The "master handbook of accoustics" reccomended by auralex on their web site (www.auralex.com)will give info on acceptable dimensions. I am submitting my form today for "free accoustical analysis".

Dax

----------------

On 5/19/2004 3:16:47 PM BlueMonk wrote:

I am building a home and will install a distributed audio system. Absolutely, this will not be my primary listening system. I just like to have music going at all times. Anyway, can anyone compare and contrast their experiences with the Klipsch in wall and in ceiling speakers. The specs don't tell me much and I don't know which route to go. Does one sound better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

----------------

Well allow me to answer your question with a question. In what manner do you plan to listen to the distributed audio system and what kind of coverage do you need? With both speakers, the sound is going to be louder the closer you are to them (nothing complicated about that).

I get the impression that you want the system to act as background music throughout the house, in which case I would recommend the in-cieling speakers.

Now which speaker sounds better? Well it's hard to make that comparison because in-cieling speakers were designed for their location and in-walls for their location. In a background application like I think yours is, coverage becomes a larger factor than quality. You're looking for an immersive sound and in-walls are going to be more localizable.

btw, since you're building the home...have you looked into integrating a talkback system as well? All it would take is a few mics and the right wall unit and you could communicate via your distribution system as well. (it's a nifty feature for instances like when you don't feel like yelling upstairs to let your kids know dinner is ready) 1.gif

EEK! sadly, I don't have any links nor do I know of any of the common brands. I suppose I could do a quick search on google, but you would arrive to the same information I would. nevertheless, here you go:

http://www.home-technology-store.com/nutone-im4406.aspx

http://www.do-it-yourself.com/intercom.htm (diy plans that have to be ordered)

The two brands that I saw a ton of while doing searches were Nuton, M&S and Aiphone.

The only problem I saw with just about every model is that it uses it's own internal amplifier (which could be good or bad). It might be easier to just build your own (thus why I provided a DIY link). If I were to go the DIY route, I would use parts at work that we use when installing the soundsystems in department stores (it's the same concept, just on a lower but prettier scale when in the home).

DrWho --

Thanks for your info. It occurs to me after reading your reply that I may have different requirements throughout the house. There could be rooms like the kitchen where I just want coverage. And there will also be my study where I would be listening a lot more intently. I probably was too cautious when I worded my original inquiry since I did not want anyone under the mistaken impression that I expected the speakers to sound like my RF-7's. Would you recommend the in wall speakers in my study (12x12) for better sound?

Dax--

I had discovered Atto's posts when we designed the house. There is a bedroom being built as my music room based on his size recommendations. Unfortunately, it will be empty for a while. Can't afford Khorns and tube amps any time soon. But unlike my current home, at least I will have a place for the speakers I have been dreaming about since I was a teenager.

----------------

On 5/21/2004 10:34:37 AM BlueMonk wrote:

DrWho --

Thanks for your info. It occurs to me after reading your reply that I may have different requirements throughout the house. There could be rooms like the kitchen where I just want coverage. And there will also be my study where I would be listening a lot more intently. I probably was too cautious when I worded my original inquiry since I did not want anyone under the mistaken impression that I expected the speakers to sound like my RF-7's. Would you recommend the in wall speakers in my study (12x12) for better sound?

----------------

In your study, I might even suggest using a pair of bookshelf speakers and have terminals installed into the wall where you can connect your speakers. This way, you'll be able to move your speakers around when you reorganize your study. Or you might even want to just send a line level signal to your study and hook it up to your computer's line-in and then you can have your computer and your other music going through the same set of speakers.

But if you want to go with an in-wall/cieling route, I would suggest the in-walls only if you planned on usually facing the same direction, and if you can position the speakers in front of you. But if you plan on moving around in your study or can't position the speakers in front of you, then I'd go with the in-cieling speakers.

As far as the difference in quality, I would think it's minimal at best. I just brought up the coverage issue because I feel that it's a much larger factor in your situation. If you're looking for a significant difference in quality, then I'd recommend going with a bookshelf speaker.