best computer speaker system out there?

runningman

I was going to post this in the "what happened to computer speakers" post, but I didn't want to interrupt the flow of that post.

So, my familiar story: I bought Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's in the summer of '03. Amazing sound quality. Sub/amp burned out summer of '04. RMA'ed it and the system was fine until summer of '08.

Since I was well out of warranty, I bought a new system. With much research I ended up with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's based on my love of my 5.1's. So, as many of you know, the 2.1's aren't nearly the system the 5.1's are. The low and mid levels (the only levels I listen to--I like to keep my hearing) are just weak and uneven.

So I'm doing more research. I've read a lot about Logitech Z-5500's, the Razer Mako's, and Bose's computer speakers. My roommate a few years back had a 5.1 Logitech system and it was just bass-y garbage. Newegg reviews are hard to judge since I'm not sure what basis of comparison these people have. And very few of the reviews of these systems mention their sound quality compared to Klipsch's. In your Klipsch-informed opinions, what is the best computer speaker system money can buy as of December 2008?

sorry for the inherent repost nature of this post,

Eric aka runningman

If you can find one, I would consider the Klipsch Ifi system. The speakers are just slightly modified Reference Series satellites (RSX-3). 3.5" aluminum woofers and .75" titanium horn. A 3.5" woofer is probably about as big as you're going to find on a dedicated computer speaker system. The 8" subwoofer is very nice too.

I just picked one up. I upgraded the speaker wire and bought a high quality connector cable and it sounds fantastic. Really puts to shame a lot of the lightweight crap out there.

I paid $150 for mine locally off of craigslist, but I've seen them go for as much as $200 on Ebay. There's one on Ebay right now. The bidding is currently at $102.50 with about 14 hours to go.

Check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-iFi-Computer-iPod-Speaker-System-w-Subwoofer_W0QQitemZ140291772035QQihZ004QQcategoryZ111694QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem